Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to lupin..the..3rd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
Use Vaseline to rejuvenate the rubber. No really, I mean it.
No do not do this. Vaseline, motor oil, or any other petroleum products will cause the rubber to swell and fall apart. Petroleum products eat rubber. Use a proper rubber conditioner, one that is NOT made from petroleum oil.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Some people have cut a slot into the top of the cast aluminum brake line mount thats cast into the top side of the trailing arm so after removing the spring clip you can lift the hard line out without undoing it.

At the same time the brake fluid should be flushed out so why bother... just undo it and let gravity run the old fluid out. Then remove the brake fluid resovoir, wash it in water (brake fluid is water soluable), dry it completely with comprerssed air, replace it and the brake fluid and bleed it slowly to keep from breaking up any air bubbles into smaller harder to get rid of air bubbles as usual.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupin..the..3rd View Post
No do not do this. Vaseline, motor oil, or any other petroleum products will cause the rubber to swell and fall apart. Petroleum products eat rubber. Use a proper rubber conditioner, one that is NOT made from petroleum oil.
Wrong - vasaline is the best thing possible. It is not the same as motor oil or wheel bearing grease which will slowly dissolve rubber.

Years ago before top of the line scuba equipment all went to clear silicone rubber the masks and fins were all made of black rubber that is very similar to whats used for the wind screen gaskets.
Standard procedure to preserve the rubber and keep it from dry rotting was to smear vasaline on it after every use.
This is not hearsay, it is a fact I learned here in S. Florida at a dive shop where scuba and snorkleing is very popular.

The best spray bottle rubber and vinyl preservative I know of is Lexol vinylex. Vinylex by Lexol
Old 12-14-2011, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
You ARE GOING TO COMPLETELY CHANGE THAT ANCIENT BRAKE FLUID aren't you?
So why the hesitation about braking the hard lines???? 930's brake bleed soooo easily it's not even funny.
Absolutely. The delima is that I have to drive the car from my place over to the mechanic shop so we can tackle the oil leaks, valve adjustment, bleed the brakes, and do a thorough PPI (post purchase inspection). I just want to get this scraping sound resolved with a minimum of effort so something doesn't sieze up on the way there. Once at the shop we will tear into everthing; lay it all out and see what we got.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
Registered Driver

Garage
Disconnect the hard line and seal with a plastic bag and rubber band or rubber plug. Also plug the caliper with a bolt (same thread as the hard line).

Remove the caliper and check the e-brake. (Caliper bolts can be tough depending on how long they have been left). Once you put it all back together it should be fine to get it to your wrench if they are flushing the brake fluid anyway.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
We had nice weather so I stole a couple hours today to begin exploring the new old car.

I like those rims, what brand or kind are they?

Sooo did you say how much you got this puppy for, or is that a secret?

Last edited by Maxx1; 12-15-2011 at 05:38 AM..
Old 12-15-2011, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Those rims are Kodiacs custom built by Jeff Alton for a fellow Pelicanite who sold his car shortly after the purchase. I love the muted look they have on this car and need to figure out how to make the fronts fit as they were designed for early 930s with the spacers removed.
No I haven't divulged what I paid. I keep telling folks that functioning 930s can be found at early 911 Carrera prices. I've passed on several cars the last couple years as I was looking for a slant. This one is a deal because the mechanic works cheap I do think that in the end I wouldn't get hurt too bad if I had to pay to have everything done, it seems to be a solid car under all the dirt. The fender that was damaged when the car was backed out of the barn is unfortunate but that too looks like an inexpensive fix.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Wow, the brake lines must be disconnected to replace the brakes on a car meant for racing. I don't even know what to think about that. Porsche did so many things well but this ain't one of them ...

OK then I'll pop the brake line and plug it then see what's inside of this dood making all the noise.
The allen bolts can be removed, but the lower two are PIA's. Due to space llimitations, I use a 3/8" drive allen, 10mm to get them out. The hard lines must be disconnected from the swing arm prior to removal of the caliper from rotor. Fab a hanger for the caliper to remove any strain from the hard lines.
The noise you're probably hearing is from the emergency brake shoes. There are retainer pins that maintain shoe alignment. Over time, the pins rust and eventually break. They're spring loaded and such a pleasure to deal with. NOT! Fortunately they're available from our host and won't break the bank.

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 12-15-2011, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Arrow

Nice! I'd love to find a project like that. Paint and body / interior are my strengths .... the engine and drivetrain, not so much. Too bad I'm not closer by . Good luck, a slant is the ultimate 930!
Quote:
Those rims are Kodiacs custom built by Jeff Alton for a fellow Pelicanite who sold his car shortly after the purchase. I love the muted look they have on this car and need to figure out how to make the fronts fit as they were designed for early 930s with the spacers removed.
No I haven't divulged what I paid. I keep telling folks that functioning 930s can be found at early 911 Carrera prices. I've passed on several cars the last couple years as I was looking for a slant. This one is a deal because the mechanic works cheap I do think that in the end I wouldn't get hurt too bad if I had to pay to have everything done, it seems to be a solid car under all the dirt. The fender that was damaged when the car was backed out of the barn is unfortunate but that too looks like an inexpensive fix.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Looks like you and I need to partner up Maxx! Engine/drivetrain is familiar territory for me, paint and body work is a foreign language.

I used the same tool Dave and hope to get the rotor off today. The goal is to simply remedy whatever is causing the scraping noise then get the car over to the shop on Monday. My friend's restoration shop is awesome. I book time there for most of my exhaust installs and we do engine and tranny rebuilds as well. Full machine shop so nothing is impossible. Here is a link: Martin's Classic Cars, LLC
Old 12-16-2011, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Squeek Fixed

Well that turned out to be really easy. None of the bolts were frozen, everything popped right off with a little elbow grease.

This little jewel fell out when I removed the rotor. Scraping noise is gone.

Apparently this has happened before and this is how they chose to fix it:
Stuff like this makes me cringe. If someone will do that then what else have they half-assed?

Look at this future calamity in the making. So glad I didn't attempt to drive this car from TX to AL.

Stumbled on a temporary plan B for the wheel issue. Didn't think about it but I could use these wheels/tires until I get something else figured out. The tread is about gone but 345's always look bad ass from the rear.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

The car has a slant conversion and coil overs. Any engine mods that you can see? Is the turbo stock?
'86 930

Last edited by TT Gasman; 12-16-2011 at 04:45 PM..
Old 12-16-2011, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)
Registered Driver

Garage
Were the shock mounts reinforced to take those coils?
Old 12-16-2011, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes this car was imported in 1985 when new. The owner had a dealer federalize it and do the slant nose conversion. All the parts appear to be OEM Porsche.
The car appears to be bone stock. We will see more on Monday ...
The coil-overs were added by me (note how clean they are compared to everything else). This was done to remedy a bad case of droopy butt.
No there is no reinforcement and will not be on this application. The stock torsion bars are retained and perform the bulk of the work. The ride height is easily adjusted with these shocks which I really like. The weather should be better tomorrow so car can be driven to check the brakes and settle the suspension.

The first round of Pelican goodies came in the big brown truck today.

Mounted the Plan B wheels & tires. Man these bad boys are killer looking from the rear.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Garage
Brian are those Fuchs 17s 11 and nine.
More info on these is appreciated. I want me own
Old 12-16-2011, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
No those are old school 9&12x15. I bought a set of 9's & 11's decades ago when they were cheap ($1000). Sold the 11's because they were too skinny and had a set of 12's made. Quit using them when the 255/45-15 Yokos became NLA. Now you have to use 225/50 and 345/35 Pirellis which are crazy expensive. I sold my last set of brand new 345 Yokos cheap a couple years ago to a desperate widebody owner who couldn't find tires for his daily driver. Whish I'd kept them now ...
If I decide to use these 15" wheels on this car I may paint them black. I really want that stealthy look and this car has it.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

Garage
Those wheels are too cool.

What you are saying is, that I'll be able to fit 12s on my 930, that (unfortunately) has had the fender lips cut???

Just like you I am aiming for that stealth look with black wheels. Mine will prob be fuchs TDW.

The car will be all black, like yours. Except I just got proof from Porsche that mine was originally painted flat black from the factory. So flat black it is. Color code: lesonal 704.
Sorry for the hijack, just wanted to share.

Looking forward to seeing the result.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-16-2011, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Garage
congrat

Brian Congratulation! Nice find.

I was out of pelicans for a while and didn't see your tread. Car makes impression and finally have big potential...
My two cents:
- For rubber I use Vaseline with good results
- also use Meguiars detailing products for years
-you put coil overs on rear without added support - I will worry about that as you could have problem with "liquid" geometry if you drive hard.
-I take mine 930 for a diet but keep original classic looking and take off ca.200 kg taking out rear seats, exchange front seats with carbon seats, put your exhaust!, gel battery, and put RS carpeting, etc.
Nice car in right hands!
944 TURBO S 1989 WHITE/BLACK # 1 944 TURBO S 1989 #2
911 S 1970 Targa /ex porsche werks car!
911 S 1969 Targa (under rebuild)
Old 12-17-2011, 01:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Jesper, the width of the wheel does not have as much impact on fitment as the height and aspect ratio of the tire. The 345/35-15's are only 24.5" tall vs the 315/35-17s which are over an inch taller. My 315/30-18's actually have the most room of the 3 sizes. All are close but in different areas. If you move the oil lines down and shave the trailing arm bolts the wheel can be moved in another 1/4" or so. Honestly I don't like the shortness of these tires in combination with the tall side wall. Problem is a 315/35-16 or 315/30-17 does not exist.

Tommy, yes I have ben told by others as well to use vaseline on the tail and other rubber parts. I'll give that a try. The coil overs are not an issue as long as done to complement the torsion bars. I used this system on my 930 powered SC and really liked the result. A light spring is used to set ride height. During normal street driving there is no difference in how the car feels but when on boost it is fantastic! The squat is alleviated and the car just grabs and goes! On the race track I have no idea if there would be a bad feel but this is a street car and the system seems to work well for my needs. Best part is you can remove them in minutes if desired and set the ride height in seconds.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)
I've gone native

Which coilovers are you using?
Thats actually a good idea with a light spring in combo with the TBs. Kinda functions as a helper spring.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: