Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I love this car Cole, it really runs and drives well. New e-brake springs have been ordered and I'll replace the nasty brake fluid when I change out (or in this case add) the e-brake springs. Also need to replace the leaking engine vent hose. Once those things are done I can start driving the car. REALLY excited about that!

The HVAC hoses are all brittle, messed up, cracked and I doubt the dial switch thingy between the seats works. Previous 911's all had the manual pull knobs so this electrical box is new to me. No idea how it works and what the numbers mean.

It'll probably be summer before I get time to play with modifications Jesper.
Plan is to compare turbos best suited for the bone stock engine, such as the K27-7200 vs 3LDZmodified.
Then add my headers/my muffler/my intercooler/1bar boost and compare the K27-7200, K27/GT35 hybrid, K27/K29 hybrid, GT3582 twin scroll.
I can sell any manufacturers turbos which is a great freedom, there is no financial advantage attached to any of them.
All this will take a lot of time/money so we'll see what the reality becomes. The twin scroll is an absolute must as I've sold a few of these and they perform fabulously - on modified engines. I want to see how these turbos perform on stock engines.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #141 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
The HVAC hoses are all brittle, messed up, cracked and I doubt the dial switch thingy between the seats works. Previous 911's all had the manual pull knobs so this electrical box is new to me. No idea how it works and what the numbers mean.
Brian, the controls between the seats are for the heater. Porsche replaced the manual levers with the electrically activated ones you see in your car. My '79 930 has the electrical controls. Also, you will see a temperature probe at the top of the windshield right behind the rear-view mirror. This probe is tied into the heater controls between the seat, so don't remove the probe.

It's fun to see you discover all the interesting things in your car. My 930 is up on my rack undergoing a complete engine rebuild right now, so THIS is what you have to look forward to:
1. I've replaced ALL of the A/C components with an upgrade kit from RetroAir here in Dallas. The hoses are a HUGE PAIN to replace.
2. I also replaced my hard oil lines to the front cooler with Elephant Racing finned oil lines. Replaced the oil thermostat also. All new oil lines are going in as well.
3. Turbo (K27-7200) has been rebuilt and ceramic coated. Wastegate has been rebuilt.
4. All engine tin has been powdercoated (again).
5. Oil tank has been flushed and stripped to bare metal in preparation to be powdercoated. Front 28-tube cooler has been flushed and cleaned (bright, gleaming brass in the right front fender!) and reinstalled.
6. I just got my case back from Steve Weiner and am in the process of reassembling the engine right now (right side cam seized after the oil fitting on the cam tower became clogged. UGH!!).
7. Rebuilt all four brake calipers (thanks to Steve Weiner for this), ALL new rotors and hardware (floating rotors on the 78-79 930's are CRAZY expensive) plus new e-brakes. All new brake lines installed also.

You're going to find that this car has an even HIGHER slippery slope when it comes to draining your bank account. Buckle up and enjoy the ride!

Toby Pennycuff

P.S. - I need to call you about a WUR. My buddy Sam Moultrie just got one of your units and is having it installed on his monster 934 replica.
1968/1973 911S MFI #73 - Tweety Bird. 911 PCA Club Racer. E Prepared
2001 GT3 Cup #77 - O M G!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #142 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Thanks for the info Toby! I was wondering what that goofy thing above the rear view mirror was!

This thing seems REALLY overcomplicated. It's all I can do to resist tearing it all out and replacing with manual controls. But I need to further my P-car education so I'll fix whatever is broken and learn to use this fluff stuff.

I have no plans to do to this car what you have done to yours. Been there, done that, and now I'm selling my factory light weight SC/930 for pennies on the dollar.

FS - '78 911SC Widebody w/ 930 Engine

No this car will be a driver. It's going to get wet and look good doing it. The closest it will get to a concourse field is parking on the grass by the road leading to the concourse field. My kids will scratch up the seats and my wife will abuse the clutch on hills. Not just for sunny weekend blasts through the mountains and posing at car shows, no sir, this one will be enjoyed by the family!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #143 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Been there, done that, and now I'm selling my factory light weight SC/930 for pennies on the dollar.
Congrats. You're coming of age finally

Nice time ahead of you!

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 12-22-2011, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #144 (permalink)

Brian, you gotta raise the price of the red car. You're making the rest of us look bad That is gonna be a steal for someone who has room in their garage!!!
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 12-22-2011, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #145 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Coming of age? I thought you were supposed to get more wise with age, ha!

I know what you are saying about pricing the car. I believe I know the market pretty good in terms of what cars actually sell for. This one is really hard to price. The chassis is rare, but only desirable to a few. The car is an SC not a 930. It also is not perfect as I have neglected minor things that I could live with such as a window winder that is hard to turn. It also has a rare Euro 915 with the OEM oil cooler and custom gears, but again it is a 915 not a 930/4spd. This car is not a daily driver unless you grew up in old timy days and don't mind no A/C and warming up the engine before driving off.
I've got 3 very serious parties interested now but interest and laying down the cash are 2 different things. Someone will get a fun little rocket for sure.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #146 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Now about this "automatic climate control" unit in between the seats, can we all start placing bets on whether or not yours still works? They really are kinda of a joke anyway {in my opinion}.

Mine was already dead on a car I bought with only 30K miles on it. I simply took it out and use the remaining little lever to turn on-n-off the heat. I even bought an older style hand control set about 2 years ago, but haven't bothered to install it yet...can't rush these things you know.

Mark
Old 12-23-2011, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #147 (permalink)

Garage
Brian,
Looks like you got a great buy as you find that your 930 don't need as much work as you originally thought. Looking forward to see progress of the modifications and its dyno charts.

Speaking of your red car for sale...I agree that whoever buys it will get a great deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Now about this "automatic climate control" unit in between the seats, can we all start placing bets on whether or not yours still works? They really are kinda of a joke anyway {in my opinion}.

Mine was already dead on a car I bought with only 30K miles on it. I simply took it out and use the remaining little lever to turn on-n-off the heat. I even bought an older style hand control set about 2 years ago, but haven't bothered to install it yet...can't rush these things you know.

Mark
I'd like to remove the auto heater controls but am concerned that what's left may look ugly between the seats. Do you have photos of your current setup?
Old 12-23-2011, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #148 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
That's what I was thinking Mark. I am used to the hand controls and see no need for electronic. Can you simply yank it out and plug in hand controls? Is it that easy?
When I was under the car at my buddy's shop I noticed a cable of some sort going into the flapper box fed by the heat exchangers. Is this part of that electronic control? It was not a cable for the flapper/spring.
What is the dohicky above the rear view mirror for? What does it do? There must be wires all over this car from what I am seeing.

I think the red rocket is sold Mike. There are 2 guys who have agreed to wire the money today, big leap of faith from their point of view so we will see how that works out. Dammit I'm going to miss that car, so much fun to drive. Sure wish I could keep it and finish that twin turbo project I started years ago. Kid's school or hotrod, hmmmmm.

Last edited by RarlyL8; 12-23-2011 at 09:12 AM..
Old 12-23-2011, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #149 (permalink)

Garage
Brian you probably know this, but just trying to help.

The cable you are talking about is prob. the cable for the thermostat. I bet it only went into one of the flappers.

Initially you could just pull of the spherical linkage in the heater control unit and then use the handle to adjust heat. If you don't have a handle, I think it is only the outer part that is missing. So all you need to do is installs this, if not already there. Then manual control is available.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-23-2011, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #150 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
No kidding, I don't even have to retro-fit the old handles with e-brake? That's awesome!!

Just got off the phone with the new owner of the red rocket. Yes it is sold.
Man that puts a knot in my stomach. I built that car from scratch when my wife was pregnant with our first child. The kids grew up with that car. I can still hear my little 4 year old daughter strapped into the 5-pt harness yelling "boost it daddy!". She wanted me to put big black polka dots on it and let her drive. Wow.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #151 (permalink)

Bri:

I know how you feel buddy !!!!! I told you I bought and sold 911's to get
enough to pay for the sled. Altogether I sold around 20. I fell in love with every
one of them and taught a three of my girls how to drive in them. Easy to get
emotionally attached to them, I had to remember "keep you eye on the prize"

It worked, I'll have the "Old Sled until the day I die.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #152 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I know what you're saying. I tend to keep cars way too long. A built a V8 S10 truck back in the day and drove it for 15 years. God that truck was fun. 238,000 miles and a lot of rust later I still hated to see it go.

You all are not going to believe where the red rocket is going to live.
Austin TX
Same place I bought the gray slant!!!
The new owner is flying over and driving it back. That ought to be fun!
Old 12-23-2011, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #153 (permalink)

Garage
Great news on the sale, Brian.
I stuffed around with that bloody HCU and also found it a pain.
Go the old lever system, mate.
On and off.

You know that "dohicky" is the sensor for the so called climate control.
I just wish porsche had told that to the air con.

Last edited by vas930; 12-23-2011 at 02:15 PM..
Old 12-23-2011, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #154 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Got up early, replaced the e-brake springs (thank you Pelican) and yanked out the drive shaft that has the ripped boot.

Forgot to mention that I found something good; a new clutch cable. By the looks of it not very old.

Also found the source of a pretty bad oil leak. It was the hose that connects the case breather to the tube feeding the oil tank. The short OEM hose was as hard as stone and leaking pretty bad. You guys should check/change this when you think the oil sensor is leaking as they are close to each other.

After that I took the red rocket out for what is likely the final time I'll drive it. Nice day and man it ran great. Had the wife follow me and my son film a second gear pull complete with the tires breaking loose. I'll post it if I can figure out how seeing as this old recorder has no USB port. I'm going to miss that car, so the sooner I can get some power to the gray ghost the better!

That's it for this weekend, off to the shop to work on heat exchangers for the rest of the day. It's warm here but folks up north aren't so lucky!

Last edited by RarlyL8; 01-01-2012 at 12:31 PM..
Old 01-01-2012, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #155 (permalink)

Happy New Year
Nice weather in Florida too. Looks like your rear rubber brake lines are origonal. Some new stainless braided lines and a little clean and grease on the throttle linkage parts would be helpful too.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #156 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I'm sure they are Jim. Yes everything needs cleaned and lubed. A total teardown and replace would be nice but for now I'll just grease it all and clean as I go. Gotta get this dude on the road!

Oh, forgot to tell everyone, Bon Annais!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #157 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Brian I love slants I am glad you are sticking with it and glad your Red rocket went to a good home. Back in 86 when Ala Moana Porsche got one of the first 930S slants I will never forget the look on the salesmans face when I come out from under the slant parked in their showroom and I asked him "why do you have a skidpan on this motor don't you think it would make it run hot?"
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 01-01-2012, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #158 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The rocket leaves on Wednesday. I hope the fellow appreciates the work that went into that car. He'll like the power and sound no doubt; it ain't too hard to look at either.

The gray ghost needed a skid plate. I don't know where this fellow was driving but the entire bottom of the engine is beat up from the valance to the turbo sump to the exchangers. When I got the car it had a severe case of saggy butt which may explain all the dents underneath.
I'm real anxious to get it on the road and hate that I can't spend the time needed to get it done quicker.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #159 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Well the red rocket left out yesterday, but apparently she didn't want to leave me either.
The new owner (great guy) called me about an hour out saying the car was down with what sounded like a broken head stud. This engine has ARP head studs so I really was hoping that not to be possible. Turns out one of the air injection plugs blew out. Picked a hellofa time to do that! I had one go on my about 8 years ago and changed them out with no issues since. Anyway, we got the car over to EurAsian in Birmingham. So if any of you guys are in B'ham and want to check out my (former) car it will be there for a few days. I gave the new owner a set of new front struts that I had not installed and they will be put in as well.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #160 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: