Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Pelican Parts Technical BBS (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/)
-   -   Show & Tell, help me restore this neglected 930 (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/642234-show-tell-help-me-restore-neglected-930-a.html)

RarlyL8 11-28-2011 03:41 PM

Show & Tell, help me restore this neglected 930

Hey all, I did something completely out of character and pulled the trigger sight unseen on an E-bay auctioned 930. Car was filthy in the photos but advertised as bone stock and in good running condition. I've long lusted after the slant nose 930, LOVE charcoal gray and NEED a bone stock example as a test bed for RarlyL8 MS.
I never thought in a million years I would win the auction. If I could order to spec my own 930 it would be this one.
Called the owner, very nice older fellow looking to thin the herd. Told me he bought it from the original owner 15 years ago. It is bone stock and has 69,531 miles on the clock. The car was brought over and federalized when brand new (1985) and the dealer did the slant nose conversion. Called the mechanic and he tells me the car is brought to him every time some little switch quits working, so it is well maintained. He had it at the time I called, replacing a relay. I had him charge the A/C so everything works. All the supporting paperwork came with it including all the original factory books and tool kit.
That's the good (great) news, here is the other side.
The car is filthy. I mean filthy. It's been sitting in a barn a long time.
All the rubber parts are in dyer need of moisturizing.
The old fellow, bless him, backed the car out of the barn and scraped the door opening with the driver's rear fender. Scuffed the paint pretty good, it may buff out.
Anyway this is all minor stuff, but I am NOT a detailer and this car needs detailed BAD.
What product do I use to bring back the rubber parts?
What do you use on the sunroof to lubricate or soften the gaskets?
How about the plastic stuff?
The interior is black leather, what about that?
Thank you all in advance for the help!!
Here are a few pictures of the BEST THANKSGIVING EVER!!!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1322523531.jpg
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1322523628.jpg
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1322523652.jpg

Tt surgeon 11-28-2011 03:59 PM

Nice, how much did it set u back?

TT Gasman 11-28-2011 04:06 PM

Congrats! You never know whats in your own backyard.

fastfredracing 11-28-2011 04:10 PM

I like it!. Is that car from Texas by any chance?

1986911 11-28-2011 04:45 PM

Sweet, you have great taste! I have used Gummi Pflege sold by our host and had very good results with it on rubber.

Curious to see the baseline on the dyno on a stock 930. Not many of those left.

Shadetree930 11-28-2011 04:54 PM

Use Vaseline to rejuvenate the rubber. No really, I mean it.

There is another thread on this very topic in the 911 forum. Its legit.

911TT33 11-28-2011 04:57 PM

Very nice looking slantnose! Congrats!

kilodawg 11-28-2011 05:11 PM

Oh man it looks terrible...:rolleyes: Excellent score....

For the leather use Leatherique, Rejuvenator Oil and Pristine Clean

For rubber seals you can try Zymol's Seal. It's glycerin based and will soften the seals. However, if the ones around the window have shrunk (likely) you will need to replace them eventually.

For other rubber bits I like 303 Aerospace protectant or some of the higher end tire dressings that do double duty like Optimum Opti-Bond Tire gel

For the sunroof felt gaskets? Just replace them...

Once the interior is cleaned and the leather conditioned there is absolutely nothing better for overall interior detailing and a final top-off than Ultima Interior Guard Plus. It's a sealant that leaves a great satin sheen, is completely dry to the touch but is nice and slick.

Good luck!!!

mark houghton 11-28-2011 05:29 PM

Brian, you're like a kid with a new toy. What a great feeling, huh?

Half the fun will be cleaning and sorting out what you just bought. The other half will be driving it.

I do believe that Porsche recommended Vaseline for rubber seals and such (I seem to remember reading that somewhere). The high tech stuff like 303 Aerospace I here is good, but so are most of the ones that have an active UV "sun factor" included in their formulations. I couldn't find the Aerospace stuff and instead have been using something made by Turtle Wax company - called F21 Super Protectant. Seems to work well, but I guess a guy could spend a lifetime doing comparsion trials against the dozens of like products. For the leather, I'm using Meguiars Rich Leather.

One word of caution; keep a close eye open for any little bastard mice that may be living aboard. Hopefully the long barn stay didn't include a nice habitat for them rodents. To be safe, throw a couple of mouse traps (one under the boot, one in the cabin).

Garrison 11-28-2011 06:05 PM

Brian, congrats! Car still has the euro bumper(built in reflectors), but with the US bumperettes....interesting...

What do you have in store for it once it is all cleaned up????

Oh yeah....I have used the "Back to Black" product on the rubber bumperettes, smile, etc. and it seemed to work great. Also used it on my Targa top when I had a Targa.

Helmsy 11-28-2011 06:08 PM

Beautiful and congrats. You gonna keep it stock or mod the hell out of it?

jsveb 11-28-2011 06:08 PM

I have also read about the Vaseline on rubber. I think it was 962porsche on the paint and body forum.

For the seats, I have found an ol school upholstery guy locally. He simply recommended good quality shoe polish and maybe conditioner (don't remember that term, but back home we call it 'leather grease')
I did this on my interior. It worked great.

Remember to buff out the black polish real good before taking the wife out to dinner.

Are you sure it's stock? In your last picture it looks as if it has blown a radiator hose up front :)

Oh yeah - congrats, big time!!!

RarlyL8 11-28-2011 06:49 PM

Thanks all!
Yes my wife snapped that last photo just after I fired it up for the first time. It was 42 and rainy so the steam really bellowed out the twin tailpipes.
Yes this is an odd beast. I need to check all the codes and see what I have. There are 2 A/C condensers, one in the tail and one up front on the belly. The oil cooler is in the front as well. I'll keep this thread alive and post these things as I find them and the progress of cleaning it up (it really is dirty and dinged up which is why there are no close shots).
Yes I am afraid of mice and whatever else may have called this car home. We'll see.
Yes the car came from the Houston TX area.
No it will not remain stock. This car is a driver and will be a great baseline for testing products. All the stock parts will be fully restored and packed away. The FIRST thing I gotta do is get some new shocks and wheels on 'er as these skinny things under a saggy butt just won't do. I'm thinking full black with tinted windows. :cool:

cole930 11-28-2011 06:52 PM

Bri,

Been waiting all day for the reveal. Absolutely killer !!!!!

What a find!!!!

I'm very happy for ya my friend and like I told you it proves good things still do happen to good people.

The only thing to use on old dry leather is "Lexol" there is nothing better. I buy mine
on Evil bay from a saddle shop.

Cole

Garrison 11-28-2011 07:01 PM

When I bought my "barn find" in the San Antonio area a few years ago there was a full nest of mice in the muffler... When the car got here in CO we took the muffler off and cut it open because it seemed heavier then normal. Hope you have no surprises... :)

JFairman 11-28-2011 07:41 PM

Congradulations, it looks like a nice car!

For everything rubber on the car vasaline is very good and cheap. Leave it on and let it soak in then wipe off the excess. Leaving it on the tea tray, bumperettes, windsheild seals, etc. during a hot sunny day is most effective. I've never put it on the tire sidewalls but they say it makes the black satin paint and clear anodizing look better on fuchs wheels.

Vinylex by Lexol is good on the interior vinyl and plastic wherever armorall was used years ago and it is much better.

Leatherique leather rejuvinator ORDER Products | Leatherique Restoration Products or Colorplus leather sofener is excellent for leather and it's expensive. Lexol is easy to find, inexpensive and works well too.

Carnauba wax is best for the paint.

9dreizig 11-28-2011 08:02 PM

Nice Brian!! Of course you probably know now that black turbos are faster...
Let's see some of the interior pics!
It's an 85? odd that it has the USA bumper tits..

RarlyL8 11-28-2011 08:30 PM

More great info, thank you!
I have not looked at anything in good light yet as it is raining here. The paint is really beat up with a lot of badly patched rock chips. This car is going to be a driver so I'll just buff it out. The interior appears to be physically in good shape, it's all black leather.
Color is charcoal gray metalic. Awsome color.
I see there is a mount between the rear seats for an ANDAIL or DP boost knob, I don't like that. Engine sounds real good though. Tranny shifts nice and easy with no drama and even goes into 1st on a roll! Whoohoo! The mechanic said the tranny was rebuilt 2 years ago so it should be in good shape. After pussyfootin' two 915's I plan to put that bad boy 4spd to the test!
Yes US bumper boobs on a Euro 930. This car was federalized in 1985 and it looks like they did some weird stuff. The front fenders were converted during the process and lack the Euro side signal lights. The oil cooler was moved from the front fender to the front bumper. There are a lot of strange gadgets on this car that I don't recognize. I'll post some pix and see if you guys can help me out. My '78SC based turbo is a sunroof and option delete light weight and has none of these do-dads.
Found a nice surprize in the glove box - a Passport radar detector! I do NOT need anymore help getting in trouble, ha!

quattrorunner 11-28-2011 08:33 PM

I dig the charcoal color. Looks black at night and nice and classy during the day. That is a mean looking car, congrats.

icemann427 11-28-2011 08:37 PM

Great example, Brian! Enjoy! Filthy? It looks cleaner than mine!