Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brando

Garage
Whated I do?

So my swap to 930 has been slower than others on this board, it's embarrassing but with 7 kids and a business to run.......
So I wanted to turn the engine over since I finally got my scavenge system complete and filled it with oil. I get nothing from the starter. My 77 wire harness is very similar to the 77 930 harness. Same yellow, and red. Only difference is the CDI/ permatune but I'm going msd(not wired yet) . My starter appears to be hooked up right, only real change has been to an external voltage regulator alternator. I rebuilt the engine and it turned over before I installed it. Any ideas why my car won't turn over? Btw I have 12.35volts. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Have you checked the ground connections?
Old 12-01-2011, 03:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Let's see, there's the one at the transmission, the one on the alternator to the case, the ground wires in the harness, the strap at the battery.....is the another? I'm sure I wired the starter up, and there is a ground there too right?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
This is not based in factual review of wiring diagrams, so it could be a coincidence. I had the same issue last spring. I ran a jumper cable directly to the solenoid and confirmed that the starter was ok, powered and grounded.

I proceeded to unplug and plug every connector in the engine bay. I think what fixed it was the 14-pin connector on the driver's side. Again, this was total trial and error and I don't know for sure if the 14-pin has anything to do with the solenoid circuit.

I would start by running a jumper to the solenoid post, get out from underneath (!) and touch it to the battery post and see if it turns over. That will rule out power, ground and functional starter.
17 NSX - Nouvelle Blue
Old 12-01-2011, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Cool, I'll try that tonight. Thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I washed the old engine and transmission at the car wash with the starter attached. Ya think I messed it up?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
I washed the old engine and transmission at the car wash with the starter attached. Ya think I messed it up?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Well I had good results I thought I would share. I jumped the starter from the batt and still nothing. So I took a closer look an found that I had a loose nut on the starter, the one that is the negative terminal, so yeah, ground and right on the starter itself. I felt stupid but happy it is sorted out. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: