Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
OEM 930 Turbo charger

Hi all,

My 930 Turbo seems to "hesiate" a bit when the car is hot (running a few hours on a hot day - temp gauge is past 1/2). I see that there's very minute bit of moisture at the turbo housing... I think the Turbocharger is original stock.

My mechanic has a brand new OEM TurboCharger he can sell me for $600 (he got an aftermarket one so he doesn't need this).

Is this a good deal?

BTW: he also advised that I hold off doing just the Turbo since it's a lot of work just re+re the Turbo, so I should just buy it and install it when I do other exhaust work -- muffler, etc?

Advice?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Moisture on the turbo housing could be an indication that you have a coolant leak somewhere. Perhaps it's just a thin film of oil.

The hesitation you reference....is this noticeable mostly when taking off from a stop, or are you seeing it just under heavy load boost situations? If it's anytime other than on boost then I wouldn't condemn the turbo just yet. Could simply be that your mixture is off enough to become noticable once she's good and hot, or she just needs a general tuneup. Any other symptoms would help everyone with a diagnosis.

If you can lay your hands on a brand new, never-been-used turbo for $600, that's a sweet deal....even if it is a stock KKK 3LDZ. Even a much gooder deal if it's a K27 version (in which case I would be happy to unburden you at a 15% return on your investment).
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Infidel

Cheap for a new unit, and if you're keeping your car bone stock then i suppose it's worth doing. I'd be tempted to stick a K27 on it though as those old 3LDZ's are sluggish buggers!
Your over heating has nothing to do with it though, your oil thermostat could be on its way out, also worth giving the front cooler and lines a flush.

Pics of the car are mandatory BTW
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 12-06-2011, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
930 Turbo

Thanks guys for your inputs.
The turbo is hesitating mainly when boost comes on, just when the turbo kicks in and I am holding on to dear life :-) around 4500-5000 rpm? which is why I am thinking it's the turbo.

Ok, here's a couple pics of m baby...

Old 12-06-2011, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Infidel

Black is best

The hesitation could be a few things, over boost switch faulty, a dodgy relay messing with the fuel pumps, ignition issues etc etc.... There are loads of threads on here covering the issues which will come up in a search. A mechanic that knows 930's is a must, and yours thinking it's an 8 pin CDI box doesn't sound like he's familiar with them at all. Maybe there are guys on here from Vancouver that can put you in the right direction
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 12-06-2011, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
930 Turbo

In my mechanic's defense (regarding the 6pin ECU in the other thread), I think he was just confused since he owns both a 930 (currently in shop for painting and bodywork) and a 911SC and also he works with so many Porsches in his shop.

It's good that these forums exists, it's so quick for me to get the answers I want (or at least be pointed to someone who may be expert).

BTW: my 930 is not black, it's the very dark blue with tan interior. It just looks black in Vancouver due to overcast skies... (esp in the winter
Old 12-06-2011, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Infidel

I think the early SC's were 3 pin, until they went to Motronic which couldn't possibly be confused Pete. If you have faith in him then that's cool, there are plenty of numpties out there though, and you really do need to either find a genuine expert, or do the spanner work yourself with the help of places like this.

Could swear it's black in the pics, would be cool to see in better light, never seen a blue that dark....
Hope you get to the bottom of the issues
Old 12-06-2011, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
930 Turbo

Here's my car in "better light" ..

BTW: The boost sensor thing got me thinking. I checked my car and don't see the "yellow relay".
In its place I see a "black" relay. Is that ok? I have had the car for over a year now and never
had any problems - other than one time stranded/stalled which turned out to be a dead coil.
Over the past year, it has stalled on me while driving twice but I was able to start it up while
in motion. I have since also replaced the two fuel pumps it has hasn't stalled since (fuel pump
was only replaced 1 month ago, and it was making "high pitch wheezing noise" before which I don't
hear any more.

Other than that, the car is an absolute delight to drive, the rumble, the handing... I understand it's
a 26 year old car, but I just hate being stranded as I am not a mechanic myself so have to be at the mercy of professional mechanics :-(
Old 12-06-2011, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Infidel

The yellow relay is a square one in the back of the car, under the cover on the left hand side of the engine bay. The relays under the front should be red and black, and to be honest i'm not sure what the difference is between these, i think they're interchangeable. It's worth removing relays and cleaning the connections and ensuring a good contact etc.....

Is the hesitation every time you come on boost, or is it occasional?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

[QUOTE=JBL930;6415204]The yellow relay is a square one in the back of the car, under the cover on the left hand side of the engine bay. The relays under the front should be red and black, and to be honest i'm not sure what the difference is between these, i think they're interchangeable. It's worth removing relays and cleaning the connections and ensuring a good contact etc.....[QUOTE]

Hey Jonnathon, it wasn't too long ago that this topic came up. Go here for the absolute undisputed truth on red vs. black relays (undisputed until someone else disputes it, that is...it seems that nothing is absolute with these cars)!
Substitute 'Black' relay for a 'RED' Fuel pump relay? Car running like normal 911...

Pete, you likely have a gremlin that has stowed away since your car left the Mother Land, waiting 26 years to place a curse on your ride. If you haven't already, then tune the thing up...just basic stuff like new plugs and fuel filter and air filter, cap and rotor, check security of vacuum and air intake hoses, check the ignition timing at idle and 4000 rpms per the book, and if you have the gauges check the control pressures to make sure your WUR is working and your mixture is OK. And pull your two fuel pump relays up front and clean the contacts thoroughly. The worse thing that can happen is you'll do all that recommended crap and she'll run like a top....without ever finding just exactly what the culprit was. Sooner or later, piece by piece, you'll eventually have an Ah-Ha! moment. It's better than shooting in the dark.

I suppose it's possible for your overboost protection circuits to be creating your symptoms, but your words "hessitating a bit" are contradictory to the violent complete fuel system shutdown when overboost relays and/or sensors kick in. Heck, you might just have a loose plug wire for all we know. You don't have to be a mechanic to work on these cars; just have to have an open logical mind and no fear of getting dirt under your fingernails.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

26 years old... that should be a 1985? My math is rusty this early in the morning. You don't have a yellow relay in the back... it should be a red relay. A black one will seem like it is working, but you really want a red relay back there. Very easy to swap. You can test the "black" vs. "red" by pulling off the over boost wire to see if the safety feature is really working. Same with the fuel meter head connection. I tried a black relay back there and it bypassed both of those safety function IIRC.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 12-08-2011, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Infidel

Cheers for the links Mark, good to know the difference

DSP, i was referring to this relay

Old 12-08-2011, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Yup... the older cars do not have the yellow relay. They have the same functionality with a red relay.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 12-08-2011, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Got a brand new spare yellow bit..ch in my glove box, following a failed attempt to exorsize a gremlin. Ended up being the relay unit under the seat.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: