Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil smoke from beather hose

Hi.

I have a 964 turbo, 91mod, with a recently rebuildt engine.
New Piston and cylinders
Rebuildt cylinders heads.....

I have started to get oil smoke from breather hose,
Was on the racing track, and got engine oil all over the engine bay.
The engine was not overfilled with oil.

I have done a leak down test, with these results:
1 - 2%
6 - 3%
2 - 3%
4 - 2%
3 - 2%
5 - 3%
These results was done with 100psi.

Do some of you have any ideas of what the problem can be?

Thanks
Terje

Old 12-18-2011, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The breather hose will put out oil and smoke. That's why is is plumbed back into the oil tank via the oil separator or even straight to the tank. How do you have yours routed?
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 12-18-2011, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I've gone native

Probably overfilled at one time.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by terje View Post
Hi.

I have a 964 turbo, 91mod, with a recently rebuildt engine.
New Piston and cylinders
Rebuildt cylinders heads.....

I have started to get oil smoke from breather hose,
Was on the racing track, and got engine oil all over the engine bay.
The engine was not overfilled with oil.

I have done a leak down test, with these results:
1 - 2%
6 - 3%
2 - 3%
4 - 2%
3 - 2%
5 - 3%
These results was done with 100psi.

Do some of you have any ideas of what the problem can be?

Thanks
Terje
It is possible your turbo is getting closer to needing a rebuild. As the journal bearings go the seal rings go and you get exhaust gas back into the crankcase.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi.
The breather hose goes from the crank case to the oil tank, and then from the oil tank to the air filter.
This air filter hose is spraying oil all over my engine, as i have put a cone filter on this hose, sine i have change my air filter to a fabspeed.

This hose should not spray oil, so i must have excessive crank pressure.
But i don't know where the pressure is coming from.

Maybe it is the turbo, that is going bad, it is the original on.

Can it be something else?

Thanks
Terje
Old 12-19-2011, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Could your catch can drain line be clogged and the can is always full?
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 12-19-2011, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I don`t have a catch can.
I know this will solve my oil spill, but not the problem i have with excessive crank pressure.

What about Oil thermostat?

Terje
Old 12-19-2011, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

"Excessive crank" case pressure is usually worn rings. But, are you sure you have "excessive" pressure? How long have you had this setup on the motor before it started spewing oil?
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 12-19-2011, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have had this setup, the hole summer, since i rebuild the engine last winter.
It only started to spray oil out of the hose on the last track day i was on.
When i got to the pit, i rewed the engine, and could see oil waper out of the hose.

I also taught it was broken rings, but my leak down number are very good.

Terje
Old 12-19-2011, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Have you tracked your car before with the same setup? Maybe the oil level should be lower (i.e. half way mark instead of full) when tracking since oil may spew out during hard cornering.

Also, you said you see oil vapor...some vapor is normal but if you see or hear "puff...puff" then you got broken piston rings. I doubt this is the case since your leak test shows good numbers.

It would help if you show photos of your setup.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

When running my 930 on track the oil-level must be half full or lower, otherwise the cash-can will fill up quickly! Check next time engine is really hot, if its over half full thats probably the issue.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Forte500

Vapor and dripping are normal, even with breather attached to end of the hose vs. plumbing back into the intake. I have a new high-perf engine I began to spell "gas" in the cabin...looked all over for a gas leak, until I saw some oil dripping from breather and fumes coming out of it while running. I ended up exiting the hose into the fender well - and no more fumes. Still drips a miminal amount for vapory-oil.

Better option than mucking up the intake and turbo with this stuff.

Hope this helps...
Old 12-21-2011, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Everyone knows "hi-perf" engines don't smoke. Lol
Old 12-21-2011, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
I wanted to resurrect this thread to get an idea how much puffing of smoke should be expected on a newly rebuilt engine.
My 3.4 liter turbo engine is also freshly rebuilt and I have about 6000 miles on it since the rebuild.
It puffs very small amounts of smoke from the oil tank when I remove the cap to check the level. Not a lot but enuff to see it.
Question is how much is normal for a good conditioned engine versus one with ring issues> I know this is subjective but would like a serious opinion. I may be able to post video once I get time to get the camera out in the garage.

Thanks in advance,
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 05-31-2012, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hi.

The problem i had, was a loose valve guide.

Terje
Old 06-02-2012, 02:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
I wanted to resurrect this thread to get an idea how much puffing of smoke should be expected on a newly rebuilt engine.
My 3.4 liter turbo engine is also freshly rebuilt and I have about 6000 miles on it since the rebuild.
It puffs very small amounts of smoke from the oil tank when I remove the cap to check the level. Not a lot but enuff to see it.
Question is how much is normal for a good conditioned engine versus one with ring issues> I know this is subjective but would like a serious opinion. I may be able to post video once I get time to get the camera out in the garage.

Thanks in advance,
Fred
Fred,
Is it a cloud of oil smoke or is it puffy wisps of water vapor? Is the underside of your oil cap oily or wet?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 06-02-2012, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Dave,
Its not water vapor, its puffs of oil smoke.

The underside of my oil cap is oily not that creamy whipped topping from water condensation. Hope this answers your question.

Knowing this what should one expect as normal puffs of smoke on a healthy turbo engine?

Fred

1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"

Last edited by fredmeister; 06-24-2012 at 12:10 PM..
Old 06-22-2012, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: