Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brando

Garage
Makes sense. I think I have them backwards.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I t'ed off the boost gauge line. And switched the hoses. I had improvements and it worked and seemed ok but then it did the over boost again!!
Now my symptoms are:
1) blowing off pressure pipes
2) very slow boost build up and then boom, crazy on off boost onset. (my turbo is a Garrett gt30r) and this is not normal for it.
3) I have more hiss sounds and psssshhhh sounds than before.
My gauge works I'm confident. My AFRs are good too. Engine runs great but do you think I have more than problem? I'm wondering if my turbo is shot at this point as well as a diaphragm issue. I'm getting stumped daily and it's so odd.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I wouldn't suspect any issues with the turbo itself. You might want to pull the WG off and at least bench test, which may point to issues with it. If bad, buy a Tial.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
OK, I'll benchtest tonight as well as look again at that diaphragm in light to see anything out of right. Should I use some sort of lube for the diaphragm? My gate doesn't have an o ring seal in it should it?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
OK, I'll benchtest tonight as well as look again at that diaphragm in light to see anything out of right. Should I use some sort of lube for the diaphragm? My gate doesn't have an o ring seal in it should it?
I don't recall there being any O rings in the WG. The lip of the diaphram must seat squarely into the groove in the housing so take care when you put the bell back on that it doesn't pop out of the groove, causing a poor seal or damaging it. When you get her apart, make sure the valve isn't corroded and stuck closed for some reason.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Wow, for some reason this last post #25 seems to clear something up for me. And I believe I have put it together wrong. I have the diaphragm installed like this.
And I think it needs to be like this.

Would this make the difference?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
What kind of a dumbazz am I?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
Accidents happen. You tried it yet ??
Old 02-01-2012, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Tonight.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
What kind of a dumbazz am I?
The normal, DIY, live-and-learn (like most people here, including myself) kind!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Looks like what I would call an "ah-ha" moment. Sure hope you're now good to go!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
both images look like the diaphram is installed the same, what am I missing?
Old 02-01-2012, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Banned

Isn't it "upside-down" in the first pic?
Old 02-01-2012, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Second pic shows the diaphragm folded with the lip exposed for the top of the w/g to clamp it sealed. First pic shows that if it's installed that way it won't seat and seal. Second pic is how my dis functional setup was. I'll report in a while. So far it's running great but I haven't givin it full pitch yet. Boost is reached way quicker than ever before though. So far so great.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Well I guess that fixed it intil further notice
So to sum up, I had my hoses to the boost gauge and wastage switched around and to compound that problem my diaphragm was not seated and clamped in the w/g proper. I'm confident it's good not. I'm going to keep this low setting for now just to be safe as its plenty for my 915 anyway. Happy boosting.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

The only thing you're going to miss is "boosting to the moon". Now you'll piss and moan 'cause your car is a dog.....just doesn't seem to have the boost it used to . But hey, at least the engine will survive a bit longer!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Today I started looking for an EBC to compliment my meth kit.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Got an intercooler, raised the boost to .8 bar and installed my WMI system. Car is the car I dreamed about, no complaints and couldn't be happier.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: