Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
K-27 HF-S on stock CIS

I recently picked up a K-27HF-S Turbo along with B&B Headers and an Exhaust from FlashGordon 64. The deal was too good to pass up and I was very lucky to have seen it early in the feeding frenzy.

I have a stock CIS with a 3LDZ Turbo and a RUF Variable Boost that runs from .6 Bar to .9 Bar. I am not sure why you would ever want to run .6, but OK. I suppose it is the wife setting!!

The question: I was not clever enough to realize that I probably should have gotten the adjustable WUR and RPM Controled Solenoid Valve. So I was doing some more research and figured out that while I am maintaining the same amount of boost with my wastegate, the K-27 is moving a lot more air.

So I am wondering if you can run the K-27HF-S without the Adj WUR setup? It seems like it will have to be set way too rich for putting around town driving which is one of my complaints. It seems like I am already on the slippery slope with my first upgrade purchase.

Second part: Can I just bolt on the Headers and Exhaust and get away with the stock set up for now as I collect some more pennies to complete the K-27 upgrade and get a bigger IC? I am assuming that the stock turbo is still delivering the same air flow and the free flow exhaust/header set up just allows the boost to occur earlier .

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 02-24-2012, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I've gone native

I think you should be fine. But, the Ruf exhaust you alreaady have is probably better than the BB exhaust. I would just add the headers and k27. Do you have a Ruf IC?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
No RUF IC. The original owner (Ultra-Smith of NY) bought this car as a demonstrator for alarms and stereos so he did all of the cosmetic RUF Upgrades with Exclusivve Motorworks of Long Island (U.S. RUF Dealer at the time) and did not put the money into the IC, 5 speed, and 3.4 litre upgrade.

I believe that the RUF Exhaust is only slightly better than the stock. I have been told that it was really a stock Euro Exhaust that they welded a second outlet on. When it was running way too rich, it would blow smoke mostly out of the left side and very little out of the right side. It does look good though!

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior

Last edited by 1986 930; 02-24-2012 at 05:26 AM..
Old 02-24-2012, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Every setup is different but when I added the K27HFS I absolutely needed the adjustable WUR and also added a modified higher flow fuel distributor. The HFS will push 1+ bar straight through readline in every gear and you'll likely find the motor leaning out. You should absolutely install a wideband O2 gauge if you haven't already.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Nice 930 Mark!

Get with Brian over at Rarlyl8. He does these types of upgrades all the time...
FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 02-24-2012, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The K27HFS was designed by UMW to be an upgrade for the 965. It is a K27-7200 with modified housings and turbine wheel. The down pipe on a 965 is different than that of a 930, in order to maximize the cold side mods you need to add that 965 down pipe or at least accommodate the slightly larger conical machined inlet.
The high flow turbos need headers and 1bar boost to be fully utilized. Along with that comes a larger intercooler to cool the extra charged air back down.
Most likely you will need an adjustable WUR as the setup will give >375HP when tuned correctly. If the WUR cannot be adjusted below 12.2:1 at redline you'll need to address the fuel head volume. I match those two components to work together to support the needs of the engine. If you simply open up the flow on the head there will be too much fuel everywhere resulting in poor performance and fuel mileage. Your AFR meter is your friend here as it will allow you to dial in a lot of power and protect your engine.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I knew that I would need the adapter for the 930 downpipe. It does sound like I will have to do this in two steps. Headers, exhaust with stock turbo and start collecting the pieces for the K-27 to do the upgrade correctly and not risk something stupid.

Along those lines, is the Long Neck Intercooler worth the extra money over,( $2400 vs. $1500) say the Bell Unit given the headers and a K-27HF-S setup? It does not seem like removing any more turbo lag would be possible and the CIS will be the limiting factor at that point.

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Long neck vs short neck is independent of intercooler size so the real question is 930BOV vs 965BOV.
You live in Florida so the bigger the IC the better.
If your 930BOV is working properly the conversion to 965BOV is less advantageous. Personally I like the 965BOV because it makes the engine components more accessible (such as spark plugs on the driver's side).

Old 02-24-2012, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: