Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 with some work

Hello everybody, finally got my 930 bought from California 3 months ago home to Finland, for this was needed 3 trucks, 3 ships and 1 tow truck...
I am planning to restore the car after driving incoming summer, just to get feeling if there are any major problems that have not been found in my small garage.
So far have been working for two days with turn signal and hazard not working, side markers are working both sides without ignition, hazard not working, no either turn signals. I had this evening decide problem with relay, part number 111953227D,
is this most probable or is this known by you out there before.

Attached photo when I got the car last week

Old 03-03-2012, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
It could very well be the contacts in the stalk also. I've had issues there on both of my old girls. They get a lot of current and corrode over time.

The relay is a good bet too but check your stalk contacts first before spending the money.

Oh...and congrats!!!
17 NSX - Nouvelle Blue
Old 03-03-2012, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey Kork, I don't know anything about your electrical problem. Nice car, looks cold.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for replys, time when pic was taking, we had no snow talking about... few days later snow was about 2ft more. Thank you so far of ideas about electrical problems, when this is sorted out, I have probably more questions.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I've gone native

More pics of the car please!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I had the same problem on my car. Replace the turn signal relay and all the turn signal bulbs, as with time the lead on the end of the bulbs flattens out, at least mine were, also, very carefully, pull the contacts in each light socket outward a little with an angled pick tool, so it makes good contact with the bulbs again. For the brake lights, I had to replace both pressure switched on the master cylinder, as with age the brake fluid, had shorted them out, and they were dripping a small amount of brake fluid, through the electrical contacts... Good luck!

Ben
Old 03-03-2012, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hi all, what is most probably reason for AC belt taken off for 930 1985? Bought this car from CA to Finland, actually AC not needed, could remove all AC parts right now when fenders are off car and save some weight. I have not even tried to put any belt to AC, it turns smoothly turned by hand.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
It may have needed a new belt and the owner did not bother.
Pull it out and put it in a box if you dont need it.
They dont work anyway.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for help with decision, AC will be next removed,
Old 03-24-2012, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by korkea930 View Post
Hello everybody, finally got my 930 bought from California 3 months ago home to Finland, for this was needed 3 trucks, 3 ships and 1 tow truck...

Attached photo when I got the car last week
what a ride. i bet tracking it and the wait was painfull. great pic...snow everwhere including the flatbead and the car (in black to boot) looks clean as a whistle.
79 930 #632
88 911 Cab
74 TR6
88 CRX Si
Old 03-25-2012, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hi everybody, finally got my car in shape for first test drive, I have straighten front of car so separation between hood and fenders now correct. I painted only fenders, front bumper, spoiler and right side rocker panel, this just temporarily so I can drive this summer and figure out what need to be done next winter.
Car have not been driven since nowember last year when it was loaded on ship to Europe, my question is; my first, second and third full throttle test yesterday was quit an experience, power was enormous, boost at three first attempts was 1.6 bar!!! After been done this few times boost was stabilized to 1.2 bar. Is it possible that wastegate is stucken after long time not been driven, 1.2 bar is okay for me but is it healthy for engine. Engine is rebuilt, european 930S, K27 turbo and SC cams, originally 330 hp, I do not know at what boost boost hp was measured, maybe 0.8-0.9, one thing I know that I got huge amount more than that at 1.2 bar...
Old 05-17-2012, 12:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Your engine won't last long at that boost level. Verify the waste gate boost signal hose has not become detached. Is there a boost adjustment device on board?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks for reply, yes car has boost adjustment device on board but not working, it is stuck, have not checked problem yet.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I would rip out the boost adjustment device and make sure the wastegate is functioning correctly by itself. Get your car back to stock .8 bar boost, then go from there if you want to add boost control back into the equation. Also, it sounds as though the previous owner had disconnected the overboost sensor - otherwise your car should/would have shut down well before reaching 1.6 bar boost. Of course, there's always the possibility that your boost gauge is reading higher than actual.

Lots of unknowns to sort out, but that's half the fun!

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: