Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1986 930 intermittent dies

Friend has an 86 930 that will die while he is driving along. No rhyme or reason, and it usually starts right up after he pulls over. Sometimes he can re fire if he cycles the key. It is happening with more regularity lately, and I told him I would drive it and try to fix problem.. I have seen a # of threads regarding the two red fuel pump relays, yellow relay, throttle plate switch, overboost switch, and under seat relays.Also alarm module, fuses.
etc,.. How can I obtain a wiring diagram to follow the electronic path of battery to fuel pumps???. Also Cdi box if no spark??
Ist I need to determine if fuel or spark.. Owner says car shuts down as if switch was thrown, doesn't seem to run out of gas. Will always restart, sometimes backfires with restart.I thought I would hardwire fuel pumps to start with, and go from there.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
I thought I would hardwire fuel pumps to start with, and go from there.
930 Fuel Pump Fuse Overload - The Solution
Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

Bad CDI Box. I had this same problem on my last 930, rewired the fuel pumps, when I sent the CDI box off to be rebuilt, it was def. failing. fixed it, reinstalled it, and no more sudden cut off!

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 03-19-2012, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepps View Post
Ist I need to determine if fuel or spark.. Owner says car shuts down as if switch was thrown, doesn't seem to run out of gas. Will always restart, sometimes backfires with restart.I thought I would hardwire fuel pumps to start with, and go from there.
Fuel or spark, fuel or spark.....lots of things can cause problems and it sounds like you've researched all the usual culprits. A process of deduction is needed, as you've suggested, temporarily hardwiring the pumps, taking all the relays out of the equation, may help pinpoint. But don't forget that the WUR and AAR get their power from the rear fuel pump relay.

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: