Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Help! - Best Wheels for a 930

Hi, recently purchased an 86 930 with later model 18" turbo twist wheels. Car feels slightly squirly and a couple people have recommended going to 17's or 16's (if I can find tires) that don't need the offsets so looking for feedback from any experienced 930 drivers on the different types and sizes of wheels they have tried and any recommendations.

As best as I can measure the wheels are 10.5's and 8.5's but the points I am measuring from may be suspect. Tires are 285/30ZR18 & 225/40ZR18.

Cheers in advance.

Rob

Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Driver

Garage
Round ones.....

Looks are all personal preference and everyone has their own opinions on styles and colours.

I like the look of big, wide wheels however found for street use really wide tyres aren't so great. Lighter wheels made a huge difference to the feel of my car and now I run Fikse 17x9s and 17x10s and couldn't be happier with the grip and feel around town.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsy View Post
Round ones.....
Round wheels are overstated.

Anyway

The only OEM Porsche wheels in the correct offset and fit over the brakes are Fuchs (and Phonedials, I guess). Up through 85 or 86, the car came with 16x7 and 16x8 wheels stock, at which point they bumped the rears up to 16x9. However, 16x9 wheels are quite sought after and therefore expensive.

Also, 16" tires are getting very hard to find.

In order to get 17's with the correct offset you need to find a set of aftermarket wheels by Kodiak, CCW, Speedline, Kinesis, Fikse, BBS, Zuffenhaus, Ruf, HRE, etc. Mille Miglia (now out of business) did produce replica Cup I and Turbo Twist style wheels (yours look like real Turbo Twists) in the correct, "early" offset. That said the replicas have been known to shatter or crack, and have subsequently been banned from PCA Club Racing.

So - IMO, since you're in the market for wheels I would get 17's. Getting 16's, while they may be original, may not be good for much other than garage stools in a few years seeing as how tire availability is headed for the door. (Unless you want to run DOT slicks - which are only for the track). Zuffenhaus makes very accurate Fuchs reproductions in 17" - 3 piece.

I don't recommend getting cut up Fuchs that have been turned into 3-piece and mated to BBS or Lindsey barrels. The new barrels and hardware tends to be very strong - leaving the 25 year old Fuch center (typically out of a 16x6) the weak point. And they are known to fail. (Zuffenhaus makes entirely new wheels, not reusing old centers)

I recommend getting wheels in the correct offset, or close enough where you aren't using adapters. Adapters I think put extra stress on the hub it isn't designed for.

So, I'd recommend some CCWs, Fikses, or Zuffenhaus wheels. There are many you can find used as well at a reasonable price. CCW's are typically the most affordable.

Be safe, have a good evening!

Cheers

Last edited by FrenchToast; 03-21-2012 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 03-21-2012, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I'm very happy with the Zuffenhaus wheel's I'm running. They're 17" 3-piece forged Fuch-lookalikes. Very light. 9" front, 11" rear. They're maybe about 17# and 17.8# (respectively) by my bathrooom scale. They look great, too.

Is this going to be a street car? Track car? Both?

How much are you willing to spend? If I didn't want to spend quite as much, I'd look into CCW (for new wheels and something other than the Fuch look) or Lindsay/TruDesign Fuchs (old Fuchs centers welded to new barrels). I think Fikse and Kinesis run about the same price range as Zuffenhaus. If price didn't matter, I'd look at HRE.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Thanks for the info.....this is a going to be a street motor (which where I live includes a fair amount of cracked concrete roads in order to get to the roads worth driving on) so looking for something a little more forgiving than I have.

I noticed a huge variation in prices here and other sites and how some wheels sell instantly regardless of price - which makes sense based on the post above.

I have a couple grand to spend (including whatever I can get for my turbo twists) on this venture - have a few other items to take care of also - which seems to rule out some of the high end options; but maybe I'll get lucky!

Cheers for the help.

Rob
Old 03-22-2012, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
When i installed the 18x11 with 315 on the rear i had to play with tire pressure to find the spot that the big wheels were happy with my alignment spec. By using a infra red temp monitor i was able to test the tire temp and find the pressure that the tires were close to even temp across the tread. When i had the pressure too high the outside was very hot compared to the inside edge. When this was happening the car was very squirrely.

81 930 Turbo RoW, Slantnose, 3.5 twin plug dual MSD 6AL ignition, MSD RPM Activated boost rdelay switch set at 4400, MSD Tach Adapter, BL Wur, 18x11 (315-30-18) and 18x8 (235-35-18), Fab speed exhaust, Innovate MTX, K&N Filter Mod., NGK BPR7EIX and DPR7EIX plugs, KEP Stage II PP with Street/Race Organic Disk., Weltmiester Swaybars, Adjustable AAR Mod, AAV Delete
Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

With the amount of rubber you are running, it suggests to me that the handling issue is leess to do with wheels and more to do with set up - alignment/suspension specs, and tyre pressures/type.
But if you are set on changing rims, the above info should help.
alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 03-25-2012, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Thanks for the replies all.

Another thought - with the scarcity of tire options for 16's; has anyone dropped down to 15's or is happily running 15's on a late model 930?

Cheers,

Rob

Old 03-27-2012, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: