Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brando

Garage
Spoiler help

Can I ask for help compiling a list of spoilers that would fit over a 964 intercooler? I do not want a 930 spoiler. Would most like a full fiberglass Carrera tail if someone makes them?
Thanks

Old 03-25-2012, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Can't find it at the moment but, a couple of months ago in Excellence Magazine a gent with a 1976 930 had his original wing modified to accept an inter-cooler. Not the subject of the article, just one of the mentions. My point. You can have an original 76 or 77 turbo wing modified.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Here's a picture
Old 03-25-2012, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Taf,

Did I see you at JRP yesterday? I was in to pick up some fitttings for my fuel system.

Dave
Old 03-25-2012, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry Dude, not me. The pics are the gent who owns the car. I live much much further south. About 4 hours away from the gulf coast south.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I dont think that is a 76 tail on the black car?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
Will a euro rs spoiler for the 993 work to clear? what about the flatnose spoiler? Is that one too big, I don't want a large tail if I can avoid one.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Not sure what a 964 cooler looks like , but this worked on my stock IC 78.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Brando

Garage

This is the one
Old 03-26-2012, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa11 View Post
I dont think that is a 76 tail on the black car?
It is. In the article it mentions the tail was modified to accommodate the inter-cooler. Looks as though he added the top section just before the spoiler lip.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAF View Post
It is. In the article it mentions the tail was modified to accommodate the inter-cooler. Looks as though he added the top section just before the spoiler lip.
OK I see that now. Looks very similar to later/aftermarket wings I've seen. I think something is lost in the translation.

I do like the idea of using the original Whale tail and I gave it a thought on my car but chose the Duck for the light weight and that it could be made to fit.

Looking at the 964 cooler, I think your choice is limited to the later style wings of which there are so many types. Unless you want to have a custom cooler built.

Paul
Old 03-26-2012, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
Can I ask for help compiling a list of spoilers that would fit over a 964 intercooler? I do not want a 930 spoiler. Would most like a full fiberglass Carrera tail if someone makes them?
Thanks
I pulled this from the article in Excellence:

After three-and-a-half decades of development, the 930 is to his taste in every detail. Few notice until he points it out, but he had the top section of a “tea tray” spoiler from A.I.R. grafted into his original Turbo tail to accommodate his first intercooler, back in 1995. Why? Because he loves the silhouette of the original 930 and felt the full tea tray would ruin the lines. The rear aero lip above the rear window came from Performance Products. The five-lug wheels, which recall the look of the centerlock 917 wheels Porsche used on 934s, are from John James Racing/Penta Motor*sports.

I believe any good fiberglass person could do the job for you.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
It's pretty much what I want, except the rubber part.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

How about a Porsche 964 3.3 turbo S wing?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Ok I love that wing but is it too much for this car? My car is narrow body and old school with the bright trim and I started off wanting to remain low key. When I got the car it had a carrera tail and I just didn't want to be too "hey everybody, look at me". I do love the turbos spoiler though, for sure on a 964 turbo.
Honest opinions please?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I would like to see a modified ducktail or maybe a whaletail on your car.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Might have to convince jimtweet to sell his to me. A little help?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Ck some old post, there is someone that got a duck tail to fit over the cooler. I think that is the way to go with your car. It would look really good I think. I was thinking of going that way. I know it was alittle bit of work but looked really good..
Old 03-27-2012, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
+1 for ducktail on a narrow body!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I traded to a Garrettson intercooler in order to avoid more difficult install and also to enable me to use an AC condenser. Here it is. I'm thinking I'll use a modified carrera tail to JUST fit over this. I'll have to notch the back and shore it back up in order to use one as they're not as deeply reaching as a turbo deck-lid/tail. It's the compromise I'll just have to do in order to make a spoiler work with narrow body car.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: