Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

All these things are worth knowing and would drive you nuts trying to diagnose. We did have oil both sides of the turbo tho in the initial failure. I have just beeen poking my fingers inside the exhaust blades looking for oil this time - since it came out my Zork last time.
I have a K&N over my intake housing.
And to be fair, I have not yet run this thing hard out since it being put back together.
Thanks
Alan

83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 04-17-2012, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Guys, I have been asked to clarify what type of turbo this is, specifically. It is a modified 3LDZ - I assume a Higher Flow, but I don't know that this equates to a HF 3LDZ, which apparently is a specific mod on the 3LDZ. Brian may be able to clarify exactly what the designation of this turbo is.
Thanks
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 04-17-2012, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I call it a 3LDZm. I don't believe the words "high flow" are copywritten but they can be confused for the K27 variant carrying that suffix. For the purpose of clarity, the 3LDZ is the OEM turbo for the 1975-1989 930 and the K27-7200 is the OEM turbo for the 1991-1994 964Turbo, aka 965. They are completely different turbos.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Ok thanks Brian, I think the query was whether this turbo is an HF 3LDZ as I believe there is a proprietary HF series?
And how about this - about 2 hrs after posting the above that all is well with the turbo, I now have a puddle of oil on the floor. maybe the turbo is telepathic.
I checked about 2 hrs ago inside the blades, no oil. So I bolted the Zork on and dropped the car to the floor. I walk past 2 hrs later and now I have a puddle. Aaargh.
Alan
Old 04-17-2012, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

False alarm. Turbo still dry. Was residual oil draining from the Zork.
Man this Turbo stuff is nerve wracking, even when the car is still on the hoist.
Alan
Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Banned

I think it has been well established, through various threads on this board, that it is very difficult to mod turbos with any consistent rate of success. This is something that, previous to my own turbo experience, I had not given any thought to. I have learned a lot about this over the last four years or so (as have others who have read these types of threads with any interest)!

Glad it is looking good so far, Alan, but like you said, the garage test doesn't meant too much, and it will be interesting to see how your turbo holds up in the coming months!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

FYI:

3LDZ turbocharger is officially "obsolete." BorgWarner does not produce bearings or seals for the 3LDZ used on the 1976-89 930 / 911 Turbo engines, and they are long since out of stock on these basic rebuild parts. Once their stock of other spare parts (compressor wheels, etc.) are used up -- that's it.

There are other 3LDZ turbos used on other engines, but their bearing and seal dimensions are not an exact match to those used on the Porsche-specific 3LDZ.

The bearing kits and rebuild kits you see on eBay? Junk, out of spec.
Most of the rebuilds and hybrids? Junk, build on out-of-spec parts.

I know of fewer than a handful of turbo rebuilders who know how to piece together a Genuine BW seal kit and supply correct spec bearings to correctly rebuild our 3LDZ, and it is not cheap. Unless you're restoring an all-original car, or stuck in a "modified stock" class (as the poster above is stating), then it makes no sense to put any money into a 3LDZ.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
Unless you're restoring an all-original car, or stuck in a "modified stock" class (as the poster above is stating), then it makes no sense to put any money into a 3LDZ.
That is exactly why this was done. Parts are a problem now with everything as I see more and more "genuine" Porsche parts stamped made in China.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Thanks Chris, I am now brimming with confidence.
I guess the question then is, since the bearings/seals seem common to the modified and stock 3LDZ, does the same issue arise with simply any 3LDZ re build, modified or not?
Alan
Old 04-18-2012, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
FYI:

3LDZ turbocharger is officially "obsolete." BorgWarner does not produce bearings or seals for the 3LDZ used on the 1976-89 930 / 911 Turbo engines, and they are long since out of stock on these basic rebuild parts. Once their stock of other spare parts (compressor wheels, etc.) are used up -- that's it.

There are other 3LDZ turbos used on other engines, but their bearing and seal dimensions are not an exact match to those used on the Porsche-specific 3LDZ.

The bearing kits and rebuild kits you see on eBay? Junk, out of spec.
Most of the rebuilds and hybrids? Junk, build on out-of-spec parts.

I know of fewer than a handful of turbo rebuilders who know how to piece together a Genuine BW seal kit and supply correct spec bearings to correctly rebuild our 3LDZ, and it is not cheap. Unless you're restoring an all-original car, or stuck in a "modified stock" class (as the poster above is stating), then it makes no sense to put any money into a 3LDZ.
So what does this mean in regards to the different flavors of k27 turbo that many of us currently own? I mean can you list which turbos are effected by this for example: K27, k27S, k27HF, k27HFS did I miss any or am I listing the wrong turbos all together?
I hate to think that I might as well junk my k27S if it ever wears out and not to rebuild it because of part availability and have to spend lots of Benjamins on a new Garret turbo.
Dam this is a depressing post.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 04-19-2012, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Success! Had a track test day last w/end. No issues and car is HAULING. Been waiting for oil leaks from Turbo. Nothing - not a drop.
Looks like my friends re-assembly has fixed it.
But it does make the whole job seem a bit fickle.
Thanks as usual for all the good info.
Alan
Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
That is exactly why this was done. Parts are a problem now with everything as I see more and more "genuine" Porsche parts stamped made in China.
This is a HUGE problem, more than ever with the parts we are getting from reputable suppliers, which implies that we must investigate all or most crucial parts to make certain that they are of the highest quality. Even the suppliers (big names) don't know that the parts in question are in fact "fakes" else from China. Many out there are running fake bearings in their so called freshly rebuilt transmissions and don't even know it! Same with the rod bearings...and gasket sets...eek! So be aware and diligent and ask lots of questions; don't just "assume" that all is well and lovely with the parts that you get for you Porsche. It's all a BS game, for sure, nowadays.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: