Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1986 930

Hello,

Another car in my list being considered is this 1986 930.

1986 Used Porsche 930 Turbo at Victory Motorcars Serving Houston, TX, IID 7812971

Does anyone here have any info good or bad on this car? Has anyone here already done a PPI on it?

thanks in advance.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Be very , very careful dealing with Victory. Do a quick search here and Rennlist and you'll see.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Gasman View Post
Be very , very careful dealing with Victory. Do a quick search here and Rennlist and you'll see.
Oh brutha! Not true. I have personally been to Victory's showroom several time and spoken to Robert Neal several times. Their cars are of very good quality and Robert knows air cooled 911s extremely well. Like any used Porsche be diligent and have an independent PPI done for peace of mind.

Easy to be an armchair referee Gasman, if you don't know, don't sensationalize unnecessarily.

Yasin
Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
Quote:
Easy to be an armchair referee Gasman, if you don't know, don't sensationalize unnecessarily.
Gaston was asking for advice, the type I would look for and respect. Gasman offered just that.
Have you read the post's he's refering to slow&rusty ?
What happened to "word of mouth" ?
Rule of thumb is, if one person complains or has issues with a company it has happened 100 times. But only one stood up and voiced.

Bravo to the one... I say.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
nothing that has not been said 100 times;

Never buy a car without a PPI. Do not try to save a hundred bucks and not check everything you can with your PPI. Do your research here or with someone you trust and get a complete list of what you want checked with PPI. Do everything you can to see car in person.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny771 View Post
Rule of thumb is, if one person complains or has issues with a company it has happened 100 times.
Another rule of thumb is that one dissatisfied customer can make a very loud and public stink, while there maybe hundreds of quietly satisfied customers who you will never hear from.

I've read many "watch out for Victory" threads. Without fail, regular forum contributors looking to increase their post counts pile on the "+1" and "^ yeah, what he said" responses, most of which are coming from people who have zero first hand knowledge of the man or his business but have read negative Internet forum posts.

I have no first hand experience with Victory. But I have visited his website and the guy does seem to have a good selection of cars on hand almost all the time. He's been in business for a while, so if I were looking, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and perhaps look at his wares...especially if I were in the vicinity of his store. Remember that Victory is a USED CAR DEALER. It seems to me that people expect something different when the used car in question is an old Porsche.

Caveat emptor applies no matter who you buy from. My stock advice for anyone wishing to become a curator of their own piece of automotive art that is the Porsche 930: have $15k in reserves for repairs, restoration, etc. I don't care what provenance the car has, or who owned it before, or how it passed PPI with flying colors. When you buy one of these things, you must accept the fact that its not a new car, you are not protected by a bumper to bumper warranty. Maybe you will choose well, and get lucky and won't spend any money on the car post purchase besides fuel and routine maintenance. However, odds are if you keep it and drive it, and have even the slightest desire to have it be "perfect" you will pay eventually. Go in with properly calibrated expectations, and there is a much higher likelihood of a satisfying purchasing/ownership experience.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I have no experience with Victory other than to be a distant admirer of their inventory which is generally pretty extensive. You tend not to sell that many cars in such a unique sector of the market as old Porsche's if you suck.

Additionally, if you walk into a 930 without the expectation that it will take $5k to go through 25 year old seals, oil lines,injector blocks....ect.., you will become the negative voice. I don't care how nice it was when you saw it on the showroom floor! You are going to find issues and have to deal with them once you drive it. And you will drive it a lot at first because it is so much fun to do so, so there will be more issues!.

I have owned two of them, both mint, low mileage examples, and I have had to do around $5k in restoration and work to drive both daily in the first year of ownership. If I were a wrench with the right tools, maybe I would have spent less.

I would not classify a 930 as an inexpensive car to maintain, but they are not crazy stupid, like a Ferrari for example, once you get them right. Before you spend money to buy one, it is also prudent to find that golden mechanic who is going to care and feed it if that is not you.

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 04-11-2012, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
I've gone native

Just be careful, a lot of flood cars have hit the market in the south over the last yr. The used car dealer may or may not even be aware.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thank you all for the replies.

I too have read a lot of the negative post about the company. That said, I live in Houston, and paid them a visit last week to look at this particular car, as well as the other 930 coupe they have (which was to my dis fortune already sold). The car looked in great shape. They had it in the shop area while they were getting a couple of issues fixed (the tach and getting it cleaned up to be put on the showroom floor as it had been in the warehouse prior to my visit). I spent nearly an hour talking with the owner of the store and going through the car, where I found out a lot more info on the car than the limited info on their website. It really appears to be as good as advertised.
I also want to point out that I spoke with the most recommended Porsche mechanic in this part of Texas (Rennsport in Sealy Texas), and he told me that he performs PPIs on Victory cars very often on behalf of the buyers prior to purchase, and there are a few that need work, but most are as good as advertised. I added this as I saw some posts on Rennlist where a potential buyer claimed that Victory had refused to honor a PPI, and after my phone call to Rennsport I feel that there is a lot more hair on the negative experience than what was being advertised on the web.

I have no side to pick on the discussions, but my limited window shopping experience with Victory has been nothing like the nightmares I've been reading of online. I am looking for a good car for me, and will eventually find it. This particular one caught my eye, but is not at the top of my list. That said, I cannot afford to spend $500 on ppis on each car that I like, I need to be selective, hence my post above, being cautious, and looking to see if anyone on this BBS had any info on this particular car.

I am finding your BBS a fantastic source of information, thank you all for your responses...
Old 04-11-2012, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Mike Callas is a great resource for a ppi, I would also strongly suggest you have Viking take a look at it too.
Yasin, I'm no armchair quarterback. Don't know how long you've been in Houston but many in the Porsche community share my opinion on victory.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

If you do your homework, have a good PPI, go thru the car thoroughly, you should be fine. It's up to you to determine the "soundness" of the car, don't rely on any seller/dealer.

Lift up carpet
Look at all body seams
Look for repaint
Look behind panels where you can
Cut open oil filter
COmpression/leakdown
etc etc.....

I spent a full day going thru my 930 before I bought it, then a week talking to previous owners and shops that did previous work. Yeah I pissed the dealer off, but who cares, I'm buying the car. I was of the mind that I would take full responsibility for checking the car out, did not rely on seller/dealer for anything. I knew what I was willing to pay for a good car and went from there.

Yes, I'd buy from anyone, including Victory but I'd be the one checking the car out, and watching the shop do the compression and leakdown, so if there was anyone to blame for problems, it would be me and no one else.

Good luck....
Old 04-11-2012, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
How much are they asking ??
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I have lived in Houston for just under three years but dealt very closely with Victory since 2004/5 when I was living in Colorado Springs.

Robert at one point was very interested in my '89 930 and we interacted a fair amount during that time, he know his stuff and he knows the market (locally and internationally).

I highly doubt that Victory would sell cars that have seen any water damage. They typically pick good clean cars with a solid history to sell.

Forums can unnecessarily generate negative momentum, (Sloan also comes to mind). My multiple visits to Victory confirms that they are a solid bunch, I would have no problem buying a car from them.

I agree that Mike Callas in Sealey is great.

BTW - When I bought my 930, I spent over $2000 in travelling and PPIs, before I found the "right" car.
Yasin

Last edited by slow&rusty; 04-12-2012 at 05:51 AM..
Old 04-12-2012, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

If Victory has some kind of alliance with Callas, that's a good thing. Sadly, reputations are like first impressions, you only have one. I would never buy a car from Victory, but that's just me.
JM good luck with your 930 quest, it's the fun part!
'86 930
Old 04-12-2012, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
How much are they asking ??
$39,000
I was just window shopping, so did not argue the price.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
As a point of reference, I bought my 87 about 18 months ago for 38,500 and that felt high, but I really wanted it Quite a few mods and 350 RWHP. Hard to tell from pics, but that one looks like better paint (I'd give mine an 8/10) and the interior looks in exactly the same shape.

It had 72k miles, but only 6k since a comprehensive engine rebuild with receipts.

$39k feels high for that one, but I like to see the numbers coming up. Could be the market in that area. Good luck in your quest! You've found the best source of info here on PP.
17 NSX - Nouvelle Blue
Old 04-12-2012, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks, this one also just had an engine and tranny rebuild, at the dealer, so comes with a 1 year warranty on the work. I don't know how much negotiating room they are willing to spare.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: