Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Oil Leak, need all you detectives....

Ok, I am calling in the big guns here. I need all you sherlock kinda guys. All you out there who have pulled yer hair out chasing oil leaks. Here is my tale of woe......

I have moved to Florida, but because I had no place for the 930, she had to wait in Texas. I am planning on going to pick her up next month because I now have a shop here. Due to logistical considerations, I will be driving her. Sounds cool right?

Well.......

A few months ago I was there checking on the place, and I noticed a good sized oil puddle under her, about 18 inches across. the puddle was centered under the motor. I originally didnt think much of it, much less taking pictures because i figured i would flat bed the car here, but that looks unlikely.

So, I need to pre-order some of the basic oil lines (lets call them the usual suspects), but based on the few decent photo that shows the leaking, anyone got any guesses as to where this may be coming from? Because as we know, there must be a bazillion oil lines on this thing.

I know it needs some work, like replacing the soundproofing mat in the engone bay etc, but notice the wetness on the motor, running down the side over the cylinder.

Since I cant just run out and look at the car, when I get to TX I will have about 5-7 days to have this done and be gone. So I need as many parts on hand as possible.

In the words of Princess Leia. "Help me Pelican parts, your my only hope."

Last edited by Groovie Ghoulie; 04-11-2012 at 06:12 PM..
Old 04-11-2012, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
really guys?

maybe crankcase breather / breather hose?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered Driver

Garage
Best would be to wipe it down/clean it and run it with the appropriate amount of oil in it and see if/where it leaks at operating temp. Without knowing approx. where it's coming from it could be a number of things.

Even a small leak can blow oil all over the engine and is hard to trace. Yours actually doesn't look that bad from the pics.

Sorry I can't help you.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yeah, thats obvious. the problem I am having is... I cant clean it or do anything until I get there, its only around a 1000 miles from here

When I get to it and clean it, by the time I trace the leak I am gonna be stuck waiting on parts!

Screw it, time to use the handymans secret weapon.......DUCT TAPE!!!!!!!

I know the leak appears to be from the front of the motor, dripping down the right side. I looked on the host site, but I could not find a exploded diagram of the 3.3 turbo motor. best I can find is the crankcase and breather hose run up there. they are also a total PIA to get to.

Maybe just fill it with oil and check it constantly on the way home. At least the back of the car will be nice and glossy when it gets here.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Crankcase breather gasket and hose, oil pressure-light switch, oil termostat O-ring, and oil cooler seals. Looks like it could be any one of these or all of the above. Buy all of the parts needed as they won't break the bank

Replace them all at the same time, not an easy task with engine in the car

Looks familiar...
2019 Audi S4
'76 911S '72 911T '73 1/2 911T '77 930 Turbo (all gone)
Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm betting on the oil return tubes. The orings will dry out if it sits for a while and you get the puddle. Exact same thing happened to me in Vegas after sitting in the garage for a few months waiting for the cool weather to return...
55 Belair
40 Ford pickup
Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Yeah, we have a place in Fort Worth, nd I will be driving the gulf coast to Melbourne. I did it once in the jeep. I usually stop just before the border of Florida and finish up by lunch the next day.

I was planning on dropping the motor when it gets here to replace ALL the lines and bits and bobs, and do a full cleaning (plus put on all those nice Rarelyl8 pieces )

So I just need to get it here. I guess I will order all those little bits, and replace what I have to just to get it here.

The plan is to fill it up with oil, get it to operating temp, run it on the lift (with plenty of fans) and see what drips and how much. Based on that, prolly just check it every time we stop and fill as necessary.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ok, so the OEM crankcase breather hose is crazy expensive. Anybody have any good aftermarket options? Turbokraft? etc.....
Old 04-12-2012, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

crankcase breather hose

Do a search. I saw someone had a AN hose assembly for sale. Melborne, eh, I was just in Cocoa beach and passed through you town on the way to the Barrett/Jackson auction last week. With the property values the way they are, it may be a good investment to buy down that way now. Philip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LM-2/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin COP/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 04-12-2012, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

A short piece of 1" inside diameter hose and 2 hose calmps will do it. You don't need the over engineered expensive origonal one.

I've used radiator hose and it worked fine since only combustion blowby and a little oil mist is going through it. A piece of silicone radiator hose from a hose supply place woud be better.
You only need a piece 2-3 inches long and alot of hose supply places would just give you that.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Good thinking
Old 04-12-2012, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

I'm betting seals (o'rings) for the engine oil cooler. The key is that it has to be leaking via gravity from where a quantity of oil resides - in order to leave an 18" puddle. That's a lot more oil than you would see if perhaps the leak only happened with the engine running and under pressure. We're talking drips vs. puddles.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yeah, looking back at my picture, i see the oil cooler is pretty wet with oil. Anyone have am exploded view of the motor? I cant seem to find a diagram for my motor anywhere. And finding a shop manual has proved...problematic. I want to make sure I get ALL the hoses and rings i need for that.

I ordered the crankcase seal, as well as the oil pressure light switch. Got the oil thermostat o ring. now need these bits.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
What about this piece. They leak over time or in my case.... you touch it.
They leak from the top where you plug it in.

Its circled in red.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
yeah, thats the oil pressure light switch (according to our host) and i ordered a new one.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovie Ghoulie View Post
Yeah, looking back at my picture, i see the oil cooler is pretty wet with oil. Anyone have am exploded view of the moto
I don't think a single explode view exists that shows all the various seals. Rather, each seal usually has attached to it a diagram of it's location. Pelican has done a great job of marrying up exploded views for most of their parts.

Look here for a picture of the bottom seal for the oil cooler (click the "Images" tab)
Pelican Parts - Product Information: 999-704-173-50-M213
And look here for a picture of the top two seals for the oil cooler
Pelican Parts - Product Information: 999-704-172-50-M213
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
perfect! Thanks mark, I owe ya
Ok, picked up a big seal, and a handful of the smaller ones. I guess all that is left to do now is get out there, and if I need a part quick-fast-and in a hurry, just have it 1 day air'd to me. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Last edited by Groovie Ghoulie; 04-12-2012 at 03:48 PM..
Old 04-12-2012, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

I'm having trouble picking up the leak from your pic. But what often happens if they sit long enough is oil accumulates and finds a high tide mark and escapes, when it may not usually. one place this happens is the valve covers - which then drip down on to your heat exchangers, run along the exchanger and drip off some point far away from the source of the leak. my guess is if you fill it with oil , keep an eye on the level gauge and check it en route, you will be fine, til you get there.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 04-12-2012, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
I'm having trouble picking up the leak from your pic. But what often happens if they sit long enough is oil accumulates and finds a high tide mark and escapes, when it may not usually. one place this happens is the valve covers - which then drip down on to your heat exchangers, run along the exchanger and drip off some point far away from the source of the leak. my guess is if you fill it with oil , keep an eye on the level gauge and check it en route, you will be fine, til you get there.
Alan
About time someone suggested that. I tend to agree.

If you have the time, then feel free to change out whatever seals/gaskets you have time for and can get to. It's such a crapshoot, you may or not chance upon the offending leak.
Otherwise, you should just be grooving on down the highway and stop every now and then to gauge oil loss. I would bet that you lose considerably less than you may think (things get warm, they swell, they seal better)....well, sometimes just the opposite. Now doesn't that make you feel warm and fuzzy?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
lol, yes it does Its not so much I am worried about the car, but adding more quarts of oil to the outside of the car just makes my life so much harder when I go to make everything right.

Also, I almost positive its not my valve covers. I went over those with a fine tooth comb, and they look fine.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: