Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

b930

I notice you mentioned knock sensors on this build.

What did you use and where did you locate them?

I have to do some reading on the SDS unit as I'm not familiar with that one.

Nice work.

Jim

Old 04-21-2012, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmcc View Post
b930

I notice you mentioned knock sensors on this build.

What did you use and where did you locate them?

I have to do some reading on the SDS unit as I'm not familiar with that one.

Nice work.

Jim
Hi

I mounted mine in the same place as proffighter did, see post #10 here:

Another EFI conversion

I cut off the height of the knock sensor from the front leg of the throttle linkage plate and sandwiched the sensor in there. It works great, using a sensitivity of about 26 on the SDS, I can not iduce any know when free revving but have to isolate knock sensing to about 5500 rpm as there is a lot of noise up there and it can sometimes shows up. Also knocks when you run into the rev limit but thats expected with the sudden hard cut the SDS has.
1988 930: 3.5L 100mm LN slipins, LN FFA rods, Supertec studs, GT3582R with T4 1.07A/R twin scroll housing, RarlyL8 equal length divided headers, dual Tial MVS 38mm WG's, Carrera 3.2 heads with 993 big valves. 964 Cams, full bay IC, KEP st1 clutch. PE3 sequential ECU with 750cc EV14 injectors, CoP twin plugs, J&S Safegaurd, Aquamist HSF3 water inj. Wavetrac LSD.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b930 View Post
Hi

I mounted mine in the same place as proffighter did, see post #10 here:

Another EFI conversion

I cut off the height of the knock sensor from the front leg of the throttle linkage plate and sandwiched the sensor in there. It works great, using a sensitivity of about 26 on the SDS, I can not iduce any know when free revving but have to isolate knock sensing to about 5500 rpm as there is a lot of noise up there and it can sometimes shows up. Also knocks when you run into the rev limit but thats expected with the sudden hard cut the SDS has.
Wise decision

I have the sensitivity set on 8, but it may be a bit low. How do you detected your value?

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 04-23-2012, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Yep, great ideal Roland!

I revved the piss of the motor and changed the sensitivity till it picks up knock at high RPMs when free revving, then lower the value by about 5 such that it does not pick up any knock when free revving. The final value is highly dependent on the specific type of knock sensor used. Mine is a nissan part.
1988 930: 3.5L 100mm LN slipins, LN FFA rods, Supertec studs, GT3582R with T4 1.07A/R twin scroll housing, RarlyL8 equal length divided headers, dual Tial MVS 38mm WG's, Carrera 3.2 heads with 993 big valves. 964 Cams, full bay IC, KEP st1 clutch. PE3 sequential ECU with 750cc EV14 injectors, CoP twin plugs, J&S Safegaurd, Aquamist HSF3 water inj. Wavetrac LSD.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Mine is Bosch... I agree, sensor type is making a difference, as location too

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 04-23-2012, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: