Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My EFI, M&W CDI and CoP install

I have just finished and am tuning but a quick summary:
Car was previously fitted with Aerocharger variable vane turbo and a digital MSD 6AL with locked out dizzy. I decided to take off the MSD and convert to full EFI with motorcycle coil CoP ignition and using a M&W CDI.

I elected to use a SDS EM5 ECU. I have experience and previously installed a few 'complex' high end systems and always liked the simplified SDS interface with ride along programmer. Its a robust and well sorted system.

To use with this ign set up, I got SDS to configure the three wasted spark outputs to trigger high and set the M&W to high trigger. The M&W is actually an 8 channel from a V8 project, but I only use 6 channels in wasted spark off 3 ECU triggers.

For fuel injection hardware, I used clewett blocks, 500cc gen3 Bosch injectors and home made 6AN fuel system using a carrerra 2.5 bar regulator adapted for use. I converted the stock fuel filter to 6AN using metric adapters. Much more cost effective than some vendors pre-packaged fuel conversion kits.

Installation is pretty straightforward. Here you can see the CDI and harness installed.

I removed the stock run on relay and yellow rely from hell and all that junk, and stripped out the stock engine harness of all the CIS stuff. I installed a new power distribution board in and also moved the rear wiper function to the new fuse block, removing the old style fuse block.

The SDS is installed just behind the left seat. I ordered it with a stock harness and its just long enough, but I did have to extend the TPS and air temp sensor in harness in the engine bay to reach. In retrospect, it would have been better to have SDS add 3ft on to their std 6ft harness.

Other members have documented installation of the crank magnets and pick up so I won't go into details. Thanks to them for their posts in helping me plan my install, I also borrowed an idea to install the knock sensor under the rear most leg of the throttle linkage bracket (cut out the length of the knock sensor and sandwich it between).

Coils are from a CBR motorbike.

I am also using a TechEdge wideband which has been programmed and calibrated to provide the SDS with wideband analogue readings for logging and lean warning fuel enrichment.

A few problems along the way:
I used the stock plugs and the CDI and SDS hated them, had massive interference with the SDS knock readings going crazy and crank pick up getting interference. A change to FR6 996 TT plugs and a move of the ECU ground to the chassis fixed these problems. I also had to move the high voltage CDI trigger harness away from the SDS harness to avoid trigger and ECU errors. All seems well now.

The engine bay is much cleaner and simpler. I maintained the stock intake pipe and 935 elbow housing a bosch BOV, but just topped it off with a 3" mouth K&N. It starts and revs great, now into tuning and to see what the Aerocharger can do, probably not massive hp as it does not flow a huge amount but it will be interesting to see nevertheless. I was already running 1bar on it previously and it ripped, with 1 bar at just a tad over 2,000rpm and unreal full boost response in 1st and 2nd. The change to EFI should help with response which was already unbelievable and power to some degree.

Will let you know driving impressions soon.

1988 930: 3.5L 100mm LN slipins, LN FFA rods, Supertec studs, GT3582R with T4 1.07A/R twin scroll housing, RarlyL8 equal length divided headers, dual Tial MVS 38mm WG's, Carrera 3.2 heads with 993 big valves. 964 Cams, full bay IC, KEP st1 clutch. PE3 sequential ECU with 750cc EV14 injectors, CoP twin plugs, J&S Safegaurd, Aquamist HSF3 water inj. Wavetrac LSD.

Last edited by b930; 04-14-2012 at 05:31 AM..
Old 04-14-2012, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Looks good! Interesting how you did the coil on plug. I'm just in the middle of building another project using SDS on a hot NA 3.6 with ITBs. First time I've worked with a non turbo in a while.

Put up a few more pictures of your car!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Another good way to mount the SDS would be peel the carpet up on the vertical panel just behind where you have it now and cut out a rectangle in the factory sound thats about an inch thick with a box cutter or other sharp razor knife.
Then mount the ecu and wiring vertical in the cut out.
It looks like the SDS is thin and may fit there flush with the sound pad around it wouldn't make a lump in the carpet afterward.

Then let the peeled up section of carpet just lay down over it like a flap so you can easily get at it in the future and no one would ever be putting things on top of it where it is now on the floor.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Jim2, credit to you for your excellent post previously on your SDS install, that really helped me. Coils are cheap om ebay, but the M&W are a bit pricey, offset though by eliminating coil packs from SDS. Gives a mother of an ign set up though.

JF, I might try mounting the SDS on the rear parcel shelf, but there are a few options I might try. My car already has a factory hole plugged off on the vertical wall you could use, but I made one in the corner of the firewall directly into the engine bay.

Last edited by b930; 04-14-2012 at 05:29 PM..
Old 04-14-2012, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Nice to see another new approach to EFI.

Let us know how you like the new ignition setup. Ie. can you set your cruise to stoich without bucking that seems to be some sort of problem with normal wasted setups?
79 930: HX40#18, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, BB+2*turbosmart38, WMI.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Another good way to mount the SDS would be peel the carpet up on the vertical panel just behind where you have it now and cut out a rectangle in the factory sound thats about an inch thick with a box cutter or other sharp razor knife.
Then mount the ecu and wiring vertical in the cut out.
It looks like the SDS is thin and may fit there flush with the sound pad around it wouldn't make a lump in the carpet afterward.

Then let the peeled up section of carpet just lay down over it like a flap so you can easily get at it in the future and no one would ever be putting things on top of it where it is now on the floor.
Took your advice and its a much better solution to putting it on the floor. The connections on top of the SDS box tuck under the padding for protection and it looks fine when all the carpets are in. Not quite flush but not bad either.

1988 930: 3.5L 100mm LN slipins, LN FFA rods, Supertec studs, GT3582R with T4 1.07A/R twin scroll housing, RarlyL8 equal length divided headers, dual Tial MVS 38mm WG's, Carrera 3.2 heads with 993 big valves. 964 Cams, full bay IC, KEP st1 clutch. PE3 sequential ECU with 750cc EV14 injectors, CoP twin plugs, J&S Safegaurd, Aquamist HSF3 water inj. Wavetrac LSD.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

+1 on more pictures of the COP.

And, what COP did you use? You indicated motorcycle.

A manufacture / part number would be appreciated.

Nice work and thanks for sharing.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

They are probably from either a 600 or 1000 Honda. From what I have read the two are different lengths.

I would be interested in your coil on time and how you arrived at that number.

Good project!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

More details on CoP set up. Coils are Denso coils from a Honda CBR1000 and can be found in many other bikes. These, I believe are the long ones. They carry part number 129700-xxxx, secondary series numbers are typically 4840 or 3881 as far as I know, mine are 129700-4840.

These can be obtained from ebay usually with the matching sub-loom off the bike which can be butchered for the plugs and grafted into the M&W CDI harness.

As far as dwell times, the M&W CDI is edge triggered and does not need a dwell. They recommend a short dwell setting where the ECU requires it, 0.5 to 1 mS. The SDS is set up for rising edge ign trigger with no user dwell adjustment. The guys at SDS used ign output transistors for driving the M&W directly in rising edge as opposed to ground triggered coil pack igniters.

M&W recommend a specific polarity with these coils I can outline if anyone wants. Fitment is currently just push on over the plugs after removing the plug nipples. They are pretty firm but I will be making grommets to hold them more securely, or a retention clip system.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Nice work.

Those Nippon coils look surprisingly close to the AEM coils that I purchased for my project, however I suspect that I paid a lot more for mine, due to the AEM decal....

I purchased the "long" option from AEM and also have a twin plug setup. Here is a picture showing how I retained them. I added a heat shield to the lower COP's.

Keep us posted how it goes.

Richard.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Wow. Nice work Richard. What plugs and gaps are you running?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
Nice to see another new approach to EFI.

Let us know how you like the new ignition setup. Ie. can you set your cruise to stoich without bucking that seems to be some sort of problem with normal wasted setups?
It can cruise at 14.7 with no stumbling. Your injectors might be too big for light cruise at stoch if yours is stumbling. I LOVE the SDS. In no more than 30 mins driving I had it hot starting and running better and harder than my perfectly running CIS. Its so easy to get the car 90% right as its basically base mapped out of the box. A few global fuel map changes using the mixture knob to diagnose rich/lean etc and bang....runs like a raped ape. I'm very happy with this set up.

The Aerocharger is fantastically responsive and sounds amazing without the CIS metering head in its way. Rock on SDS!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I purchased a set of NGK BKR9EIX which were recommended in a different thread for 930's. However I am not sure that they are a "resistor" type plugs which is recommended for my AEM CDI.

AEM recommends a plug with a resistance >5Kohms and these measure ~4.5kohms. Therefore I am looking for an alternative.

Last edited by motley911; 04-17-2012 at 08:00 PM..
Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Both M&W and SDS say min of 5k ohm plugs for CoP. My own experience using non resisted plugs was the massive interference with the ecu to the point it barley ran.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Nice built Keep on posting with a lot of pictures WE LOVE PICTURES!!!

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

so how did you seal them to the valve covers?
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 04-18-2012, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
so how did you seal them to the valve covers?
They are not sealed to the covers yet, just pushed over the plugs. They hold fine like this but I will be looking to install rubber grommets once I can source the right ones.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

oh ok
I bought 964 lower valve covers for mine and they fit really well but wanted to keep the uppers. When you find the right grommet size for the uppers, let me know
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 04-19-2012, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Very tidy -- nice job!
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 04-19-2012, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Very tidy -- nice job!
Cheers Chris, thanks for your help in sourcing the injector blocks, rails, temp sens holder and manifold plugs and covers. Also, your intercooler is very nice piece! (Pic before the EFi conversion).

Old 04-19-2012, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: