Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
K27 hyspool

I was wondering if anyone on the board has been using this turbo, what previous turbos you've used and what you thought of it.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Never heard of a hyspool. K27 and it's variations, yes.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Ultimate Motorwerks New K27 7200 Billet HySpool - Rennlist Discussion Forums

It's a k27 7200 with a larger+lighter compressor wheel with a more modern design. It seems to be for people who like the 7200, but want it to spool a little quicker and flow more at the top end, but still don't need more than 400hp and the lag.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yargk View Post
Ultimate Motorwerks New K27 7200 Billet HySpool - Rennlist Discussion Forums

It's a k27 7200 with a larger+lighter compressor wheel with a more modern design. It seems to be for people who like the 7200, but want it to spool a little quicker and flow more at the top end, but still don't need more than 400hp and the lag.
Well had I been paying attention and utilizing my lapsing memory banks, I would have known that. Thanks for the reminder.

Now, has anyone used it and what's the prognosis?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not on Rennlist.
Someone advise Kevin Aerodyn in Indianapolis can test his compressor for a very large fee. These tests are very expensive. This will prove if it performs as he projects.
From what I keep hearing, all the good things he discusses are overshadowed by his overloading the bearing system causing failure.
I'm staying out of this one but I question any turbo expert who claims turbos need break in.
Wow.

Last edited by copbait73; 04-15-2012 at 07:41 PM..
Old 04-15-2012, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
So that's it? I've heard rumbles about UMW turbos, but wasn't sure the issue. More broadly, anyone have more than 10k miles on a UMW turbo?

Seems like some people have had good experiences with the Hyflow, and the dynos look good.

Quote:
I'm not on Rennlist.

Someone advise Kevin Aerodyn in Indianapolis can test his compressor for a very large fee. These tests are very expensive. This will prove if it performs as he projects.

From what I keep hearing, all the good things he discusses are overshadowed by his overloading the bearing system causing failure.

I'm staying out of this one but I question any turbo expert who claims turbos need break in.

Wow.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Seems the consensus is:
Garrett GT series has best performance.
BorgWarner (3K) has best fit and reliability when used unmodified.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

I don't know what the current Ultimate Motorwerks hybrids are like, but in the fairly recent past, they were known by at least 5-7members of this forum to be VERY short lived (my first one lasted 10 minutes)!

This thread would be an excellent read for you (even though it turned out that UMW did not make the original poster's turbo) - Turbo oil leak - suggestions?

If you do a search of this forum using key-words like "leaking turbo", "turbo leaks", "HyFlow" and the like, you will find quite a bit of interesting reading.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 04-16-2012 at 06:02 PM..
Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yargk, don't believe everything you read about this kind of untested expensive aftermarket hardware thrown together by _______ and promoted by brainwashed wannabe's on internet message boards.

The only reason they exist is because of internet message boards... and people with cash to spend that are uneducated on the subject and want to believe what they read on the message boards.
Copbait knows what he's talking about and you can call http://www.durabilt-turbo.com/ if you want the truth.

It's your money to throw away though and you can believe whatever you want, but these things are a huge expensive and extremely unpleasent time consuming mistake.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
UMW Turbo

My UMW K27S turbo "lunched" its bearings at a stop light with 10,000 miles on it. In this galaxy, you've never seen a turbo that was better pampered by its owner (me). It was diagnosed by UMW that, "The turbo wasn't broken in properly."
Old 04-16-2012, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Just spent $700 to have mine rebuilt.. Its been 3 oil changes from time of purchase.

www.einarsgarage.com
Instagram @einars_garage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Well, I'm leaning toward Garrett now...

I'm currently thinking either a GT3582R which is a little big for my application or maybe a GTX3076R.

The GTX3076R has a better flowing compressor map than the non "X" GT30s so that's sufficient, but I've heard the turbine might be too small. However, the flow on the turbine graph of a GT30 with a 1.02 A/R seems comparable to the GT35 with a .82 turbine A/R (which is what 930 guys seem to use) so perhaps a GTX3076R with a 1.02 A/R on the turbine would be perfect?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Call Turbokraft or Pat Williams Racing and ask them about the Garret GT35R which is a ball bearing turbo or "Blowzilla" which is a Garret hybrid journal bearing turbo.

They do know the correct answers.
Turbo Kraft : Home
Pat Williams Racing (porsche)

Either turbo is usually lower cost than any over rated k27 hybrid piece of junk and either one can make between 100-200 horsepower more than any k27.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

My k-27hfs has about 30k miles on it. still working good. But i bought mine from imagine auto. I think the ones sold through them were not made with used parts like a lot of the others. Next time around probably a garret.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 04-16-2012, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I hope they last a long time because I have two. I have an k27-hf and an hrs which is sitting on a turbo holder attached to an engine stand. If they don' then I'll have to look at other options. They are expensive and well let's just say I have to work everyday and I'm a long way from retirement.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
My k-27hfs has about 30k miles on it. still working good. But i bought mine from imagine auto. I think the ones sold through them were not made with used parts like a lot of the others. Next time around probably a garret.
It was my understanding that these boutique turbos were coming from the same source.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, H&R Coilovers, ESB spring plates- 210 lb
Old 04-16-2012, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmetHead View Post
Just spent $700 to have mine rebuilt.. Its been 3 oil changes from time of purchase.
My HFS needed a rebuild after less than 1000 gentle miles. $300 rebuild was cheap fix. If it happens again...bookend. No comment on customer relations...
Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Banned

Well, it looks like I hold the record so far at 10 minutes and zero miles before a rebuild was required (which I was charged about $300.00 for - and about two months wait-time, too)!

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 04-16-2012 at 06:14 PM..
Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I've gone native

Question, do all these turbos require extensive priming when installing.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
Question, do all these turbos require extensive priming when installing.
Extensive? The only thing I've done with my stock K27-7200 was turn the engine over until oil came out of the drain passage. I'm not sure what can be done beyond that.

Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, H&R Coilovers, ESB spring plates- 210 lb
Old 04-16-2012, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: