Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

De-cambered ball joints

Im putting together a 79' 930 for the track to do some amateur racing. It's my first time and I'm wonder if anyone would recommend using the de-cambered ball joints. Is it really necessary for the track since I'm not planning to do any autocross.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Typically on the track you'll want as much negative camber you can get. But first you may want to spend some time with a shop that will do your track alignment and see how much neg camber you can get out of your existing setup, then make adjustments based on tires, suspension, even venues you plan to race. Talk with the "fast" guys with similar cars, see what they're doing. If you're starting out, make your investment in seat time, as you progress you'll find out what you like and upgrade from there.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 04-16-2012, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
I do alot of DE events with my 79 930. Have been for the last 5 years with this car and 10 years prior with a 1979 911SC.
I never used the decambered ball joints becuase I worry about messing with such a highly loaded and critical component. I dont like changing to another aftermarket part with such potential to my safety without seeing extensive testing and validation from an OEM or the like.
There are other ways to get more negative camber like upper mounts and even sending the spindles to be lowered and decambered.
I am able to get negative 2.5 degrees with monoball offset strut mounts and after I lowered the car to Euro spec height. I would like more but this aint bad for now. It varied from side to side and car to car what you will end up seeing.
Have fun, that's an awesome car to drive on track. We need more guys to represent the 930!

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, full bay intercooler, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.95 bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

+1 on the previous two posts.
I have had mine on track full time now (ie not used on road anymore) for about 5 yrs. Only just installed offset monoballs, to get a bit more camber. I had been running 1.2 (max I could get with stock setup). This worked OK and car handled pretty good up front. But the tyre wear suggests not enough. The monoballs have given me about 2 deg (varies a bit from side to side - but 2.5 is possible on one side). I'm reasonably sure this will get me close to where I need to be with a minimum of hassle. One of the best things I did is change out all the rubber bushings, front and rear.
Alan

Edit, You will get a heap of good advice on the track forum. It has all been done before.

83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)

Last edited by Alan L; 04-18-2012 at 01:44 PM..
Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: