Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

PPI at Porsche dealership? Help please!!!

Anyone have any experience with Michael Stead Porsche in Walnut Creek California? Current owner of car I am looking at insists on having PPI done by a Porsche Dealership. MIchael Stead POrsche is near the location of the car, and I am being told that the service manager Eric Schaefer (SP?) knows his way around air cooled turbos. I want to have the car checked out at Deutsche Motor Sport in Concord California.

I know, I should tell him to stuff it, and let me pick, but I am trying to be reasonable with the guy.

Last edited by JMGaston; 04-17-2012 at 04:09 PM..
Old 04-17-2012, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Insist on your own PPI guy. Most dealership mechanics don't know the ins & outs of these cars.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Anyone know Bill Anderson at European Performance Porsche right by San Francisco INt. airport, in in Milbrrae Ca?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've known Bill since '84. He's worked on our various P cars, '73 T, E, S, and both Turbos. Very thorough. He was semi retired when we moved out of the Bay Area a few years back. Wasn't sure if he was still taking on work.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I am being told that Bill has done most of the recent work on the car I am looking at. The owner is very picky as to whom he lets touch is car, and so far he's given me the contacts at Walnut creek and Bill Anderson.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Bob Grigsby at RMG in Sunnyvale is excellent, tel. 408.738.2060.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 04-18-2012, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGaston View Post
Anyone have any experience with Michael Stead Porsche in Walnut Creek California? Current owner of car I am looking at insists on having PPI done by a Porsche Dealership. MIchael Stead POrsche is near the location of the car, and I am being told that the service manager Eric Schaefer (SP?) knows his way around air cooled turbos. I want to have the car checked out at Deutsche Motor Sport in Concord California.

I know, I should tell him to stuff it, and let me pick, but I am trying to be reasonable with the guy.
Listen to that little voice of yours, It's your PPI and You are paying for it, BTW I would go out for the PPI also.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

I spoke with Bill Anderson today, (he is now retired, as noted above FYI). He has given me a good run down on the history of the car, as well as all the work he has done to it in the many years he has been servicing it.
We both understand and respect the owner's thoughts on the need for a "known" mechanic, and the dealer will work with me to get the car inspected to my standards.

But, we'll see how things go tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Most dealership mechanics don't know the ins & outs of these cars.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

yes please get your OWN PPI from someone other than a dealer......I learned the hard way....

1979 930 - Black on Black and in the woods

"My third child that will cost more in the long run" :shock:
Old 04-18-2012, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Most dealerships will not even work on these cars anymore. They no longer train about them. They rarely carry parts for them.

Here is my question for consideration. Does this dealership SELL any similar cars? Are there any cars of this nature in there being serviced? [I know the answer. I am on their mailing list. This is something you need to conclude for yourself.]

There were a lot of 930s built over the decades. Many of them were poorly kept and ineptly upgraded. There are also many of exquisite cars. I agree that the seller should not have to jump through hoops to satisfy you. Conversely, it is YOUR money and it absolutely should be YOUR choice of who is inspecting the car. If he doesn't accept that, there are many others out there.

Most people, and this includes many Porsche repair shops. have little idea just how unique 930s are from 911s. I cannot tell you how many 930s I have seen that didn't run right because the mx thought he could do the repair, tho he had little understanding of all the unique bits that make them work...or not.

It reminds me of the situation in the 70s. Guys did their slop work on old VWs and mostly got away with things. They concluded they could work on Porsches as they were basically the same, right? That made for a lot of incredibly screwed up 356/912 Porsches.

You don't want a PPI by a good "Porsche shop". You want a PPI by a great Porsche shop with plenty of documented experience with 930s. Even then you can be out in left field if you aren't careful. The key is that you are satisfied and that you understand you aren't buying an expensive 911. You are buying an entirely different class of performance car, with needs and costs to match.

Good luck

JR
Old 04-19-2012, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

JR,

Thanks. I agree wholeheartedly. The car is going to Tom Martenot in Concord for the PPI.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: