Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Why do I love my 930 so much?

I love my car because:
- I can laaaate brake and still stop with plenty of room.
- I can set the car and watch the apex come and go.
- That gut wrenching acceleration when the turbo cuts in and the sensation of a rocket igniting.
- Taking a right angle turn at speeds that would make most cars stumble.
- The feel of the "snick" as the gearbox goes into 3rd gear and the power is just right there.
- The sound of fury as gas is dumped into the motor at high boost.
- Having someone in a new whatever trying to race a 23 year old Porsche. Bad move.
- The almost arrogant quality of the sudden wheel flares and dramatic whale tail.
- The aura of driving an icon of speed and performance when everyone else is driving a box.
- The smile on a kid's face when they look at a car that is still so unique.

Mods include: Kokeln IC, GHL Headers, Hooligan muffler, Modified K27 7200, BL WUR, LC-1 & XD-16, Bilstein Sports (4), TRG sway bars, Oversize torsion bars, Strut brace
Old 04-19-2012, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I've gone native

well put
Old 04-19-2012, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkBird View Post
I love my car because:

- The feel of the "snick" as the gearbox goes into 3rd gear and the power is just right there.

- Having someone in a new whatever trying to race a 23 year old Porsche. Bad move.

I was like, what "snick". Then I had to do mental calculations and it was a G50. lol
14 535i M Sport
Old 04-19-2012, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

hey Chris. must have been a good day
79 930 #632
88 911 Cab
74 TR6
88 CRX Si
Old 04-19-2012, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Chris:

Sounds like you may be a "real" 930 guy. Drive it like you stole it !!!!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Some people get weird when they see you in a 930. Most people kind of know it isn't an ordinary car. They smile, give thumbs up, the knowing nod. It is just plain an attention magnet. I like that part. Little kids perk up and point. How many times have you seen them mouth "race car"? That 2nd to 3rd shift under full boost is pretty damn cool too.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Canucks Fan

I told my son I was going to pick him up after school and I was bringing the 930, 3/4 of the guys in his class came out to look at the car, my son, 10 at the time was givin them the run down, he popped the trunk to put his backpack in and you should have seen the looks, Where's the engine? in the back he says, no way, so we showed them. Is it fast Mr. Morrison, I said ask Tommy he drives it, yes its real fast, he sits on my lap when I go to my buddies house, over 1/2 mile from the main road and only two houses on the road, i saw the look of 8 new Porsche lovers that day.
Finn
Old 04-20-2012, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_morrison57 View Post
... i saw the look of 8 new Porsche lovers that day.
Finn
Great story.

OK not a Turbo... but it remind me the time I was at a car show and a 6 years old kid was going around the car and giving all the details about the car to his father. We took pics of him in the car and I give him my card and told him to call me when he is ready to buy one. I hope he does call me

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger

Last edited by JJ 911SC; 04-20-2012 at 01:30 PM..
Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
'cause it's:
- Fast
- Has intoxicating boost
- Has noise unlike anything else (relative to soap box cars)
- Has curves
- Handles curves
- Draws attention
- Requires attention
- Unforgiving (need to be driven fast properly)
- Forgiving (you can hammer it)
- Requires two hands (not a finger pointer)
- Requires effort to drive
- Never goes out of style
Old 04-20-2012, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I like this thread and every time I get out of my car I just have a big smile on my face and just love the experience.
Things I love about the 930.
Years ago I played around with sand/offroad rails and the best CV joints were referred to as '930' CV's I found out later it was because they were a 930 part.
When I got older I was involved in hot rodding a lot of 911's and we always used '930' tie rod ends. '930' rear control arms, '930' transmission, oil pump, etc. Having the bench mark feels good.
I also admire and feel the Porsche 917 was one of the greatest race cars of all time and when I push my brake pedal on my 930 I feel a direct connection to winning Le mans history.

The word 'Turbo' to mean the most and the best of any thing was put into every day
vocabulary by Porsche with the 930, incredibly iconic, THE 'Turbo' is the Porsche 930.

I like the VW Beetle roots and and like the drive feel of this lay out.
I like having and driving the most advanced air cooled rear engine torsion bar car of this family.
I like seeing the head liner material and the cabin lights which reflect these humble VW beginnings.
I really like this car and will stop now to drive it

Last edited by ficke; 04-22-2012 at 06:03 AM..
Old 04-22-2012, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

WHY? WHY? Because I love it's fat a__ , the spool from the turbo at 3.5K, the glue from the 917 brakes and the fact that there will never be another 930 serial prefix Porsche that will ever win 1, 2, 3 overall at LeMans. The 930 Prefix VIN Turbos are the most visceral production street Porsches built! "Dad buy it, real race cars don't have sunroofs!"
Old 04-22-2012, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I have the exact car, before i sold the wheels and decided to put the 964 turbo body kit on it. I still love the look and i wish i would have gone to an 934 kit instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkBird View Post
I love my car because:
- I can laaaate brake and still stop with plenty of room.
- I can set the car and watch the apex come and go.
- That gut wrenching acceleration when the turbo cuts in and the sensation of a rocket igniting.
- Taking a right angle turn at speeds that would make most cars stumble.
- The sound of fury as gas is dumped into the motor at high boost.
- The almost arrogant quality of the sudden wheel flares and dramatic whale tail.
- The aura of driving an icon of speed and performance when everyone else is driving a box.
- The smile on a kid's face when they look at a car that is still so unique.

epg@usa.com
Old 04-22-2012, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Long story short. Gf said she can drive the car so let her. Give her the keys, can't find the ignition, had a hard time with the clutch. I started the car for her, she can't turn the wheel. Shuts off ignition. She never asked again. lol
14 535i M Sport
Old 04-22-2012, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

What is even more odd is the difference in attention I get between my guards red 87 930 and my guards red 85 Carrera. You would think they look almost the same to most people but I am AMAZED how much more wow factor the turbo commands. Even little kids seem to know there is something different.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
Long story short. Gf said she can drive the car so let her. Give her the keys, can't find the ignition, had a hard time with the clutch. I started the car for her, she can't turn the wheel. Shuts off ignition. She never asked again. lol
Old 04-23-2012, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

It is my dream car,nuff said..
Old 04-23-2012, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
why?

because of all the cars i have owned or currently own...the 930 turbo is the car i want to define me.

i like to think i am actually worthy of one of the last of the great sportscars!

and...because i cannot afford a real 427 cobra!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

One word comes to mind:

ORGASMIC!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Boost Freak

Garage
Kids recognize these 930s because so many of their toys were 930s .... I get more thumbs up from kids and teens than anyone else. To see the real thing rolling down the road must be pretty exciting!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney265 View Post
too funny!
Good thing I had the 964 turbo at home that night. Imagine a crazy Thai girl hauling ass in that.

14 535i M Sport
Old 04-26-2012, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: