Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Craigs list this looks like a deal

1979 PORSCHE 930 TURBO EXCELLENT INSIDE & OUT RARE CLASSIC

1979 completely restored 26K. I've got mine but maybe someone here would find this interesting.

What do people know about this car?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Heck of a price...particularly if it is a true factory slant. No mention of miles, though, but a total rebuild kind of takes that concern away.

What does this comment mean: "The car has the Factory 930 Brake System ( Rare and Hi Dollar Items ) many 930s have had these removed and they are nearly impossible to find )"
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Maybe I'm cynical, but the price screams slightly too-good-to-be-true. There's something he's not telling us in the ad, other than the lack of miles on the motor and chassis.

Two owner car (so you know all maintenance issues, presumably). Complete glass-out restoration. Motor rebuild with upgrades. Everything minty. And only $26.5K? Is the economy that bad? You wouldn't know it by the number of late-model luxury cars running around in the Southland.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Don't recall "factory slants" existed in 1979. Ad really makes no direct claim this car left the factory as a 930. It may also have a salvage title. Many things possibly not said.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Think factory slants were available starting in 1981
'07 Honda Pilot
'13 Mini Countryman
Old 04-21-2012, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Put a call in, see what this thing is about. On a flatbed in the pics, so maybe some gremlins need to be worked out, owner just frustrated???? I'll report back, perhaps there's a slant in my future? Wife would kill me
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 04-21-2012, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

"factory" slants, AKA option 505 were not available in 79. I've been doing a lot of research on this lately, as I was looking a probably one of the nicest non-factory slants, also a 79. You could have the conversion done at the dealership back then, but doesn't mean it was a factory option.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGaston View Post
"factory" slants, AKA option 505 were not available in 79. I've been doing a lot of research on this lately, as I was looking a probably one of the nicest non-factory slants, also a 79. You could have the conversion done at the dealership back then, but doesn't mean it was a factory option.
Ummmmm not exactly true.. and this has been discussed soooo many times here.

- 505/506 as an option was 86 - 89. The option if I remember correctly was $26k on the sticker.

- Special wishes slants noses were available through the factory from 81>
- There have been numerous cars that were taken or sent to the factory for conversion.

- Very few dealers offered the conversion.. The most widely known dealer to do so was Alan Johnson Racing. They used factory parts and offered a variety of options to fit the pocket-book.. most notable being the choice of headlights. You could go factory mechanism etc.. or opt for non-factory lights in either round or square.. still on factory fenders.

And of course there were/are many other after-market conversions running around out there some very well done, others not so much.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infraredcalvin View Post
Put a call in, see what this thing is about. On a flatbed in the pics, so maybe some gremlins need to be worked out, owner just frustrated???? I'll report back, perhaps there's a slant in my future? Wife would kill me
Well if it's half of what is represented it will be hard not to pull the trigger. No VIN so i'd like to know if it stared as 930.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyGarage View Post
Well if it's half of what is represented it will be hard not to pull the trigger. No VIN so i'd like to know if it stared as 930.
Agreed, no call back today, hmmmm a little suspect, but we'll see tomorrow. I'll try to get as much info as possible and post.
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 04-21-2012, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
I've gone native

Something don't seem right.......
Old 04-21-2012, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Still no call back...
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

No factory slant in 79.

Like to see the factory leather rear speaker box??

Appears to be after market body conversion, looks nice though.

Euro tail lights with US bumper over riders

Says rotors were replaced?? Those are expensive and relatively hard to find for 78-79. Not something you replace with a standard brake job.

Looks like a later muffler

Too bad there is no engine or interior shot....looks like a pretty nice car.

Last edited by ELZ's930; 04-26-2012 at 08:41 AM..
Old 04-26-2012, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
The ad is a cut and paste of parts from two descriptions from current auctions on ebay:

Either a plagiarist, or a fraud.

Tom
Looking for an honest 930, stock, in CA
Old 04-26-2012, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

- Very few dealers offered the conversion.. The most widely known dealer to do so was Alan Johnson Racing. They used factory parts and offered a variety of options to fit the pocket-book.. most notable being the choice of headlights. You could go factory mechanism etc.. or opt for non-factory lights in either round or square.. still on factory fenders.

Here is one of his cars a "color to sample" on the window sticker to the "special" it is.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Craigslist not only has scammers looking to steal your money but sometimes the fake ads are listed to collect info such as email addresses or phone numbers. They use them for several reasons. They can sell them to junk mail distributors or phone solicitors. They can also use the email address to run other scams. You know the saying if it seems to good to be true it is.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I got an email back from the seller. I'm not going to follow-up and although like many suggest this has scam all over it, if someone wants the contact phone number PM me and I'm forward it. the name in the email checks out (quick google search) with the phone number and a business in Huntington Beach.

He says call and he will provide additional information and a flicker account with cars restoration photos.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
You can doubt craigslist or not, but I got my car on there 3 years back with a similar type ad, that sounded to good to be true and it worked out, but I poured over the car to look for accident damage or vin swap or any bogusneas and it checked out, you really have to know these cars to know what your lookin at, that said the flat bed pics a lil odd, maybe it was before it was sorted, or wasnt smogged yet or, just didnt want to risk driving it when its up for sale. If you want a fully documented car go to Truspeed or any internet resaler and pay 45-60k, biggest deal would be who built the motor, and what was replaced, reconditioned or reused, thats the unknowns that I d be checkin on, drive it, you ll know right off if its legit and sorted, no drive allowed or ride would be a big red flag for this sort a car given whats stated, good luck if you decide to entertain it
Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Craigslist is a toss-up.. there are scams there as well as honest people looking to unload there goods. I too have experience both on C-list.

Although I'm still enjoying th 1 owner 90 560SEC I bought off craigslist while hanging out for the 24hrs of Daytona a few years back! The lady thought I was a scammer because I asked so many questions, and continued to ask for various pics.. which she provided. She was actually pretty shocked when I showed-up with cash in hand... about as shocked as I was when I saw the condition of that car at the price I was getting it at.
RGruppe #180
Old 04-28-2012, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

On another note, just because we see these cars come up for sale and the price is right, or the owner is slow to get back doesn’t always mean it’s a scam. Some people that are fortunate enough to own these cars may not be enthusiasts and thus really don’t give a Sh** about them. It’s just a car to them.. a car that may have or may not have been taken care of well, but it’s still just another hunk of metal to them. Sure, they may know what they have, but it may not mean as much to them as it does to you.. the perspective buyer, or as I have seen on these threads many time, the perspective talker.

Some sellers may not even get back to you right away because they’ve got other things going on in their lives that are a bit more important than C-list, Pelican, Rennlist etc..at the moment. Hell, I remember a car I decided to list for sale, just about the time the ad went in my “then wife” surprises me with a quick vacation the same week/week-end the ad was running. Was I going to tell her that I couldn’t go because of the ad? I don’t think so! Oh, and how about right here on Pelican when I paid for a part, it didn’t show in what I thought was a reasonable amount of time, no response from the seller.. so I call the guy out.. I hear from a couple of Pelicans that “hey, he’s a good guy”, then he posts-up telling me to cool my jets as he was tied up with the birth of his daughter! Uhhh, a whole lot more important that a master cylinder or whatever I had purchased.. and yes, I felt like a dick!

Ok, I’m just say’n

RGruppe #180
Old 04-28-2012, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: