Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Hi guys,

So, I took the advices about the "bedding" of the brake pads... Did it one night as prescribed... had lots of fun in the more deserted roads (not easy to find where I live)... And magically the squeal went away!
However, it came back after a couple of city drives... sigh

Did the bedding again a week later... again, it went away afterwards and then a few short drives later the squealing returns... My friend told me that unless I do track and use them hard, they will squeal again if I drive on street... since the brakes will not get to the high temperature of the bedding experience... The braking with the Textar IS amazing (stops better than ANY car I have driven, even
other vintage normal asperated 911s of that same era). But, the squealing is really putting me off...
I don't like drawing the wrong attention to the pedestrians walking on the sidewalk... It's annoying as heck.

Unfortunately, I am not buying the car for the track, but more for city driving that I can "give her"
once in a while... :-) Just love the drive...

So, I will be taking back to mechanic to do something. Someone says I should go for softer pads
(like hawk?). What do you experts think?

thanks for all your inputs!!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
brake pads

If you are not doing track time then you will be happy with the Hawks...Racing pads hate the street...they want to be hot, and abused....You will not do that on the street...I had hawks that I used on the street and on the track...and they never squealed. I have the pagid pads for my 930....I am ruffing them up and using silicon on the backs...I even have the rubber shimes...if they start to squeal again, i will put regular brake pads on.

Try the hawks, they might just work for you.
1974 Porsche 911 (2003 - 2012)
2000 Boxster S (2006 - 2008)
Old 05-10-2012, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
River Rat

Quote:
Hi guys,

So, I took the advices about the "bedding" of the brake pads... Did it one night as prescribed... had lots of fun in the more deserted roads (not easy to find where I live)... And magically the squeal went away!

However, it came back after a couple of city drives... sigh

Did the bedding again a week later... again, it went away afterwards and then a few short drives later the squealing returns... My friend told me that unless I do track and use them hard, they will squeal again if I drive on street... since the brakes will not get to the high temperature of the bedding experience... The braking with the Textar IS amazing (stops better than ANY car I have driven, even

other vintage normal asperated 911s of that same era). But, the squealing is really putting me off...

I don't like drawing the wrong attention to the pedestrians walking on the sidewalk... It's annoying as heck.

Unfortunately, I am not buying the car for the track, but more for city driving that I can "give her"

once in a while... :-) Just love the drive...

So, I will be taking back to mechanic to do something. Someone says I should go for softer pads

(like hawk?). What do you experts think?

thanks for all your inputs!!
Go back to stock oem pads.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Well, finally took the beast back to the shop. My mechanic tried some regular inexpensive pads and they were still squealing. It's the front brakes. The rotors are Zimmermann so he's convinced I shouldn't get them replaced. He is ordering the OEM Porsche ones for me, won't get them until Tuesday. Keeping fingers crossed. If it still squeals I may request to try the Hawks. It was squealing so bad that my mechanic ran out of his shop to see which wheel is squealing since he "heard" me coming... :-) He didn't even ask to test drive it...

Definitely an annoying problem...
Old 05-25-2012, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
hi guys,

Well, my mechanic actually put on some really cheap $40 pads and told me that the sqeal went away. But, seeing they were so cheap, he wasn't comfortable putting on a 930...

So, he had to order original Porsche pads for the 930. It took a few days to get them shipped from California. So yesterday, I finally got the car back... It was quiet for first 10 min then it started squealing again... Now, it's squealing sometimes.. When I step on it hard, the squeal goes away. I think maybe I need to do the bedding procedure again?

One thing though, my mechanic showed me that even though they were Porsche pads, they still had "TEXTAR" stamped on it... Hopefully they are made of different material than the other TEXTARs I had.. I guess I will give it a few 100's miles to break them in to see...
Old 06-06-2012, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
I'm wondering if the rotors are the problem
Just because they are zimmerman's doesn't mean they were good. Disk rotors are not that expensive, when the obvious is not working, you should consider the not so obvious.
Having gone thru all of those brake pads, it's a little odd that they would all be bad.
Keep us informed.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

If you can, post a picture of the rotors on the car, I watched two good old euro mechanics stare at the brakes of this 928 that squealed like crazy after one of them did a brakejob, took me a minute to realize the rotors, Zimmerman's, were backwards, sometimes it's right in front of you.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
pictures

yes close up pictures would be nice. Who knows, with the amount of people who read this forum, someone is bound to see something.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Well, they are squealing again...
I was hoping that eventually it would go away, but after about 150 miles, it's just as bad as before..
I did the bedding again, and it does go away for that session, but then the squeal comes back the next time (sometimes even worse)! I am up in arms on this.
I am very tempted to buy the hawk street pads and see how they work.
My mechanic told me that in the 20 years he's had his shop, he's never heard it squeal so bad...
Old 07-10-2012, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

try a new mechanic
Old 07-10-2012, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

That's a shame you're still having issues. Here's a thread I started about pad because I was concerned with noise.

Which Brake Pad????

I ended up with metal masters for what I do mostly street and 'maybe' one track event a year and have been so happy that I bought another set just to have on hand.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
My 930

The link to the other thread has Squerly on there...I have his car now and those orange pagids squeal REALLY BAD....I have beaded them and siliconed the back side to help keep the vibration down...Im hoping that will do the trick...but as a last resort I have bought some anti squeal pads from pelican and I am going to try those. I do have a cheap set of pads as well, but that will be the last ditch before buying a new set of Hawk street pads. Seems kinda long and round about but I really like the stopping power of pagids.....100 to 5 in nothing feet...wow...but I will swap over for the street hawks when I have exhausted my instock material first...hate to waste money these days...

When you bead them try a thin coat of silicon on the back side of the pad this has worked for me in the past.. the squealing is the vibration of the pads so the objective is to prevent the vibration.

Oh yeah, I never had a problem with the metal master pads on my 911, they seemed to do really well and didnt squeal...
Old 07-10-2012, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Could this be the problem??

I took the advise and took some pictures of the rotors.
I noticed that the drill pattern for the front rotors point to the front, but the pattern of the rears
point to the back, which is different than the front ones. So, IMO, either the fronts are reversed
or the rears are reversed..

Which way should it be?

Here are the front right (passenger side):
[IMG]/home/peter/front.jpg[/IMG]

Here are the rear right (passenger side):
[IMG]/home/peter/rear.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-11-2012, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry, try that again.. the photo didn't attach!
Here's the front right rotor (passenger side)

Old 07-11-2012, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Here's the rear right rotor (passenger side):
Old 07-11-2012, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
I was sure that the front is reversed, until I took a took at some photos of my car before the rotors were replaced...
Both the front and the rears were pointing away from the front (in all four rotors). If I go by that, then it's the rear ones which are put on reversed, but... I swear the squeal is coming from the front wheels?

Please let me know your thoughts... Which direction does your drill pattern point for your 930 rotors?

Thanks everyone!!
Old 07-11-2012, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

...fronts are correct, looked at mine, 79 930, same way, rears are backwards, swap 'em, see what happens.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Looks

The pictures seem to show a "lip" on the rotors, I take these are not new rotors because of the rust in the holes. You should not have a lip on the rotor. They might need to be replaced or turned.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Here's a scan of the 78-81 Tech Specs, the vent holes should sweep back.

The idea is the centrifugal force of the rotor rotation pulls the air into the center where it flows to the outer edge. Some mistakenly think the vanes of the rotors act as air scoops and scoop the air from the edge, but that's not the case.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Kapoow! And someone throws down the ace of spades! NICE!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: