Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
R.I.P.

Remove door 1/4 windows

has anyone attempted to remove the door 1/4 glass and just have the whole window go up and down? I tried searching but came up with nothing. I think it would give the car a more modern look and allow you to reach out the window at dunkin donuts for your morning coffee......

Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
R.I.P.

weak attempt at photoshopping

Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hummm...somebody has come from the Cal look bug world.

Mark
Old 04-25-2012, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Prrrrrreeeeetttty cool!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Did the bug guys do that?

I just like the more modern look and better access... Though I haven't considered the wind buffeting
Old 04-25-2012, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Seemingly, damn near every 50's-60's bug has beed ruined by having the wing window tracks cut out of the doors, for the installation of 1 piece windows. They call it the "cal look".

Mark
Old 04-25-2012, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
R.I.P.

i like the look
Old 04-25-2012, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You know I was one of those Cal Look guys back in the day but I never thought of it on the Turbo. Wow would that look good
Old 04-25-2012, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

I forgot where i saw it but there is a place in california you make an aluminum blank the size and shape of the window and send it to them and they make it in glass. might have seen it on the power block on spike tv on the weekend but not sure. they were making windshields etc. You know when you chop the top on a car you cant just remove x inches from the windshield the curve of it no longer works. So they would make an aluminum blank to fit the new hole with the correct curve then get the glass made.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L

Last edited by Ken911; 04-25-2012 at 04:49 PM..
Old 04-25-2012, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
R.I.P.

i think our door glass is flat... no? if so it would be a pretty straight forward mod.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Removing the pillar and make a custom window is not that difficult, as pillow is bolted-on and window flat... BUT how about the front slider? That will be a real challenge to fit one. Further: Is there enough room for the speakers (if you have some)?

Another thing I have some concerns is that the window will be very large and when only open half I can figure it can vibrate a lot and produce some heavy turbulences around, even if stiff enough...

Anyway, if made well and works, it will look very hot

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Banned

Obviously anyone can do whatever he or she wants to their cars, it is a good thing that we all have such varing tastes, and no disrespect intended to drmatera, but why on earth does anyone want to make a 930 look more "modern"? Helio often says the same thing about the mods he makes to his yellow beast (like when he installed that horrible interior tunnel between the seats). This is a real head scratcher for me!

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 04-26-2012 at 12:51 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

To each his own, as to what folks want to do with their car. After all, it would not be much of a drag race, if we all drove the same thing.
My concern with a single door window would mainly be about how one would get window channels & seals, so there would be no water or noise intrusion????

Mark
Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

ok the glass isnt flat you would have to replace the linkage inside the door with one similar to another car that has no wing window. Having had several of them apart the rails on that type have two parellel channels on the inside. about 2 feet apart then wheels the are mounted on the inside that ride inthe channels. the rails are curved the same curve as the window. If you did that then there still would be room for the speaker.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 04-26-2012, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
R.I.P.

I think a good fabricator could take the guts from a newer car's window with reshaped glass and incorporate it into my door. done right it should work like a modern car.

Just about EVERY 930 owner has updated something on their car, whether it be a/c, wheel, interior, exterior, engine/trans or suspension..... how is this any different?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I like the idea plus I would do this if it's not too costly. It's kinda hard for me to put my arm out the window. Cool idea Darin!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
R.I.P.

i'll definately start a thread when we begin
Old 04-26-2012, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

When I installed 8" door speakers with big 25oz magnets and 1.5" voice coils in my doors I remember the electric window motor was in that area taking up alot of space and also when you close the door the door stop extends into the door cavity into the area a full size window and window track would take up when rolled down.

It would take so much reengineering of the inside of the door and the window lift mechanism it would be difficult and extremely expensive and would probably rattle over bumps and have endless problems down the road.

Why not just get a 997TT if you want that type of design?

I'd love to have the old vent wing door windows the older cars had. I had those in the BMW 2002's and 1969 912's I owned many years ago.
I know you could backdate the doors with those but all that work and expense isn't worth it to me.
I improved the AC instead.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Jim, if saving money were the goal non of us would own 930's...

Old 04-27-2012, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: