Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I think that many times a 911/930 at a dealership is a car that needs something worked on. At least that's what happened to me. Bought a car from a dealer with no records, passed PPI for the most part, but later found aluminum in the oil when doing oil change. To be fair, I have not dis-assembled the engine to figure out exactly what the problem is, could be something that happened after I put 10,000 miles on it, but I doubt it.

However, I still think that a good PPI and now in retrospect, oil analysis or at least an oil filter inspection, and you should be good. If the car is here in Houston, then I would recommend taking it to Mike Callas out in Sealy. The oil filter inspection is not included and not sure he has an oil filter opener, but you can get one from Jegs for about $40.

Last edited by AlfonsoR; 04-25-2012 at 09:15 PM..
Old 04-25-2012, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGaston View Post

After leading me on for about a week, the dealer just sold the car under my nose.
Sorry. You should have dead panned to him: "Oh! Now I've got to find some other 930 on which to spend my [insert dollar figure several thousand higher than the actual sales price]!"
Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Was this the 930 in Omaha? I'm originally from Omaha, so I spent a lot of time checking references on the dealer instead of wheeling/dealing on the car. They checked out with great references, but if they sold the 930, I guess I'll move on. The low mileage was an issue for me - I would have been more comfortable if it was 60K or so. Moot point now.

The search continues
Old 04-26-2012, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Yup, that was the one.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Rats...NEITHER one of us got the thing. They had a nice 86 Targa also, but that is a huge compromise down from a 930, in my mind.

Good luck on finding the elusive 930
Old 04-26-2012, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
what were they asking for it? it looks nice.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 04-26-2012, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

They were asking $40k
Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Guys,
Found out about the car. First off - I have purchased 4-5 cars from this dealer. One thing that is constant - the cars are righteous - no lip stick on a pig here.

A local, repeat customer drove the car twice and came in that morning of the sale and wrote a check for it without sending the car out for a PPI. Maybe the guy took it to someone when he was driving the car - do not know for sure. For the dealer - it was an easy deal.

Apologies to JMGaston and Einsteiger for any inconvenience that you may have had. Again, I don't know the whole story and I am not defending the dealer. On another note: I know that this dealer also leases cars and the deals that you can make are pretty good. At times I have told him what I wanted for a monthly and he works the deal - however your buy-out will go up if your payments are too small. Also with his leases, the cars are not returnable - you own them - the lease is a way to get the monthly payments down - it just effects the total buy-out cost at the end of the lease.

I also missed out on a 69T - Tangerine Orange - completely restored. I paused alittle too long. One suggestion if I may, if you are sure about the car - put down a deposit and get the PPI later. Get the car locked in - if the PPI shows issues, you can get your deposit back. I did this with an 08 GT3 RS that I purchased from a private seller in Virginia. We agreed upon a price, sent him a $1,000.00 to hold the car - then had the PPI done. No issues and the deal was done.

Hope this helps guys

Mark
08 GT3 RS (white/black) (modified of course)
67 911S outlaw (sold)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
It does help - thanks. A deposit is (wouild have been ) a great idea. I'll be ready next time!! PS: A couple of guys in our local section of the MB club have nothing but good things to say about Classic. [so much for keeping it to myself ]
Old 04-26-2012, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Sometimes you can't wait for a ppi, I lost a 3.6 turbo because I wanted to get it checked out first...lesson always give a deposit,

Last edited by TT Gasman; 04-26-2012 at 08:11 AM..
Old 04-26-2012, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Gasman View Post
Sometimes you can't wait for a ppi, I lost a 3.6 turbo because I wanted to get it checked out first...lesson always give a deposit,
I understand completely - but if your serious, put down a deposit to lock the car in. I would have lost the RS if I didn't put a deposit down first. I get the price agreed upon with all of the details - then the deposit - then the PPI. If there are issues - the P.O. repairs them or deducts the cost from the purchase price. Or if its bad, you get the deposit back. However if the guy is shady - your not getting the deposit back without a fight and the whole thing goes legal. Usually a $500.00 check will do it - but if you have a bad feeling from the guy to start with - RUN!

You can do a money transfer on the deposit - but have it frozen until the PPI is completed. Then you are still in control of your money and can cancel the whole deal.
08 GT3 RS (white/black) (modified of course)
67 911S outlaw (sold)
Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Mark,

No apologies necessary, from you or from the dealer. I really appreciate the time you spent speaking to me yesterday, and after our conversation I understand why the salesman was so busy. It must also be said that it is a business and I understand they have to make the deal that makes best sense to them.

My frustration was primarily due to the inability to be able to do anything at all. I tried to put a deposit down, I spoke countless times with the salesman but he was always too busy to talk about taking it to the next level. I was in the process to buying a plane ticket to go there when he broke the news to me.

He never lied about wanting to take a trade-in over a straight up sale, and in the end, that is what he did. I learned my lesson, won't happen again.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Yes from now on always a deposit. I mistakenly thought since I was a long time client and just spent many thousands on a conversion that my word was good enough. Unfortunately the used car sales guy didn't see it that way and sold it out from under me. This was at Ruf in Dallas. I'm still pissed about how it went down...
Quote:

Quote de TT Gasman

I understand completely - but if your serious, put down a deposit to lock the car in. I would have lost the RS if I didn't put a deposit down first. I get the price agreed upon with all of the details - then the deposit - then the PPI. If there are issues - the P.O. repairs them or deducts the cost from the purchase price. Or if its bad, you get the deposit back. However if the guy is shady - your not getting the deposit back without a fight and the whole thing goes legal. Usually a $500.00 check will do it - but if you have a bad feeling from the guy to start with - RUN!

You can do a money transfer on the deposit - but have it frozen until the PPI is completed. Then you are still in control of your money and can cancel the whole deal.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
i think the price was right.

15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 04-26-2012, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: