Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Euro 930 back to CA.

Any Californians have experience bringing a legally imported ROW 930 back to CA?

Car was federalized and sold here in '85 then went out of state for almost 20 years. Owner has old CA. papers to show it was registered here but I am gun shy about the current state of smog and pony shows trying to get tags here. It has a cat and pump but not sure about the other emissions parts that went along with the turbo's re introduction in 1986. If it fails the visual then you know I'm screwed. I have seen black market 930's with a BAR tag that stated they were Carrera's as the DMV has no listing for turbo's that year. Wonder what that would would do as the Carrera has no smog pump?

Any thoughts are appreciated as this car is right up my alley and I miss my old turbo dearly.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Registering back in CA...

If you have a cat and the pump, you can get it to pass, most smog guys have no clue what the car should or shouldnt have now a days since its approaching 30 years, so that helps, plus it probably can go to a smog check place, that can tune the car if needed, not a test only place, where they cant touch the car tuning wise. PM me your phone number and I can call you, if you need more help or info, I know a good porsche shop in the Bay area, that can probably help you out.

The fact you have the old california paperwork, should make it pretty straight forward, since its was federalized its not that different then any other car at this point from the stand point it was already registered here once.

I am in Socal, and I think the smog stuff is a bit tighter down here then up north. Youll just need to take in a valid smog certificate, when you go to turn in the current title, your better off going to Triple AAA then DMV, as they dont seem to be so anal about all the i's dotted and t's crossed. Plus they dont put it it in Record if you just go in to ask questions.

Ben
Old 04-26-2012, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If it was registered in CA already and he has proof you SHOULD be good. It all comes down to one little sticker and some paperwork

Couple of questions: does it have the CARB sticker in the engine compartment? If not, AAA will not register it and send you to the DMV. It will require a DMV supervisors override (and you likely won't get it). If there is no sticker in the engine compartment you will most likely have to take it to a carb ref, even if it does pass the standard test only facility. Second, does the seller have the documents from the original importer? The CARB ref will require this before he does anything These would be:

1) Bond release letter from the USDOT
2) Letter from the EPA stating that it meets 50 state standards

You can contact both of these agencies to get this. Bond release letter costs $20 and if they find your VIN you can get it in a day. EPA paperwork takes 2 months but research is free (Does that make any sense to you? its the government I guess so go figure...) This is not a slam dunk,they might not find enough info to get you the paperwork you need.

If the seller does not have these (it's his responsibility to save 'em) you might be able to get the documents from the original importer (who is hopefully not out of business) Their name should be listed on the plaque inside the drivers side door or wherever it was mounted. If the original importer has folded, seller doesn't have the paperwork, and the EPA and DOT can't verify the work was done, well be prepared for it to be treated like it's being imported for the first time. This might cost you $2-$3,000 for an independent import lab to check it out only one in socal and one in Napa I believe. That price is before they replace anything that they feel is missing, and they are sticklers.

Don't ask me how I know all this.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

And you wonder why people are moving out of California?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Why not just buy one of the many non-ZZZ 930s for sale and not court trouble? Since CA is the biggest market on earth for Porsches, I am sure you would have no trouble finding one.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Many thanks to all those who responded with very informative information. I am checking out the details as we speak.

Owner has previous reg's and also the old CA plates but none of the import paperwork. From pictures I have seen there is no BAR tag with the bar code in the pass. door jamb nor a CARB sticker on the rear deck lid that I could see. My contact is going to inspect the car on Sat and let me know more details.

Only reason to bother with all this potential nightmare- car is pretty nice and fairly low mile, priced very well and specially optioned so is def worth pursuing.

CA is a great place to live for many reasons, but trying to own something other than a Prius is a frigg'n hassle.

Thanks again to all who responded!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm not going to be a nag (ok, I am but I'm anonymous so who cares), but I would almost put money on you being able to find a nice legal 930 in CA before you get this one licensed and able to drive. I got caught up with the "itch" too and I'm going 5 months without mine being legal. I've got one month to go until it is but it's murder having a car you can't drive, or rolling on side streets worried about po-po's.

From what you're telling me you're in the exact spot that I was when I started. Can the DMV verify that it was previously registered?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks Gunshow I need a voice of reason right about now.

Carfax showed it was imported & registered here until '06 and passed smog each time. Went out of state then and had no problems there with reg or smog. Current owner has lots of old paperwork and registrations. I'm stumped as why no BAR tag in the door though.

No doubt it was OK here at one point, but then again bringing it back may be a problem. I get so many conflicting opinions at DMV and CHP it is quite frustrating.

Thanks again for your input. I feel for you and hope your tags arrive soon.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Come to Reno,, I run a work on my 80 and no cat on my 86,, then drive them to CA!!!,,,
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 04-27-2012, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
I Wonder

Garage
Not sure about this but I believe European car when imported the bar tag in door Jamb is removed and replaced by a importers tag also in the door jamb with the serial number and other relevant info such as weights etc. And the importers name. Tag is metal and fastened to the car.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Well quick way to resolve all, just get the vin and go down to dmv and ask about registration cost, and mention it was registered here in 06, I think this is straighter forward then its being made out given this particular cars history, it will be in the Cal dmv system, since it was registered here within the last 10 years most likely still, tell them your transfering it back with a out of state title and you ll have a current smog certificate. They want the smog paperwork most of from all I ve dealt with.

Good luck, if itd been last registered here 25 years ago I think then,itd be a,bigger hassle.

Ben
Old 04-28-2012, 12:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

You need to move to Texas!
If the car was registered in '06 then it should be ok....but I could see them giving you a hassle. You're asking a bureaucrat to think outside the box, that ain't gonna happen. Maybe Gunshow is right, in Kalifornia a US spec car is going to be easier to register. Good luck and keep us posted.
'86 930

Last edited by TT Gasman; 04-28-2012 at 06:46 AM..
Old 04-28-2012, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I've got a family house in Tennessee that I looked at registering it too. Only issue is Cali is cracking down on people who have a car licensed out of state but carry and Cali drivers license. They're missing out on tax revenue. Then I looked at getting a TN drivers license. Was a bit of a hassle but could be done. I'm with 66cal912 in that it's at least worth a phone call to the DMV. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2012, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: