Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I Wonder

Garage
European 930 engine trans into 3.2 carrera

Just wondering if any one can enlighten me as to exactly I would need to do a swap where I am installing a 84 930 European drivetrain into a 86 3.2 carrera body. I have the complete drive train. boost gauge wiring harness from engine to front fuse panel, rear electrical panel on left side of the engine compartment and cis unit from engine compartment. What else would I need to complete a relatively trouble free swap. The 84 does not have a computer so to speak from my understanding but the 86 has one under the seat. Does this pose a problem. Any info appreciated. Am mechanical and have all the factory manuals so am reading and trying to get understanding of what I need to do. Of course experience is the best asset and hope to tap into some of that in this forum. Thanks Rob

Old 04-27-2012, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

mgro:

Can't speak from first hand experience but there are, I believe, several
differences that should be noted. The trailing arms are larger and have
been relocated. The brake rotors, calipers, and wheel bearings are larger.
The trans axle forward bolt in mount was relocated and the tran-axel stub
axles, wheel flanges, and wheel cv joints are all different.

Some of these issues will require mix and matching parts to adapt them
to the Carrera. But I don't believe any of these are show stoppers.

Do a search here as there should be several threads that would discuss
other 930 engine to 911 chassis swaps.

Good luck should be a fun and eventually rewarding project.

I would suggest you post an introduction here with some pics. of your
car and the project, it would go a long way toward getting more help.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I Wonder

Garage
Thankyou for your input. I had heard about the trailing arm thing now to check it out. Was wondering the compatability of the half shafts as well. Guess it is time to get under the car and do a visual and take some measurements. Thanks rob
Old 04-27-2012, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I think the trailing arm geometry will be wrong for the

1) shock points
2) torsion tube attachments for trailing arm mounts.
3) torsion tube would need to be changed I believe for 930 long bell housing if you
attempted to install a 930 trans.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I Wonder

Garage
trailing arms

I read on ebay someone selling trailing arms off of a 84 Carrera. They stated these arms were better then the earlier and would fit 930 and 911. They were an upgrade to the earlier ones. I believe the 3.2 shares the same crank and connecting rods as the 3.3 turbo and wonder if the later carreras came with an upgraded trailing arm that is the same as the turbos. Guess a part number check may be in order. Thanks for the additional info. Seems the rear suspension is the issue. Turbo trans I have is out of an 84. Have to check whether it is the long or short bell housing. Thanks rob

Old 04-27-2012, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: