Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Turbofrog

Do you guys have a cable to trans support from battery ground?

I could not find any info searching the forum and all the threads I found showed only trans to trans support cable.

So is the extra cable there for a good reason? I'm rearranging all my wiring and stripping all the loose or unnecessary cables and wires. It takes time but the front luggage compartment starts to look nicer already. I'm thinking of installing the fuses and relays inside the car with the odyssey 680 possibly under passenger seat.

79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, BB+2*turbosmart38, WMI.

Last edited by smurfbus; 04-28-2012 at 09:35 AM..
Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
You absolutely need a good copper ground strap from the engine to the body. The factory ground strap from the trans. mount to the body is perfect, do not remove & toss that one.
Mark
Old 04-28-2012, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Turbofrog

I'm not tossing that one. I'm talking about a thick red cable from that same trans grounding point to the front through the front fender and then to the battery negative.

There is also a loose ground cable at the rear right trunk? Where should this connect to normally?
79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, BB+2*turbosmart38, WMI.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm no expert here; that being said, what I've seen for ground straps on Porsche's are bare cable grounds (no insulation). That is on both the transmission ground and the battery ground (even the ground to the engine lid). Red usually means hot (positive).
There is no telling what a PO has done, and you know your car better than I. Good luck
1982 930, K-27, BL adj. WUR, Rarlyl8 Headers and Hooligan muffler, MSD 6, 22 and 30mm torsion bars, poly bronze bushings 30mm raised spindles and custom valved Bilstein shocks (by Elephant Racing), monoballs front and rear (by Rennline), Alton 17" Fuchs, Fred Cook fuse panel
Old 04-28-2012, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Yeah, that coloring threw me off badly when I got the car

Positive terminal and cables are of course all black
Old 04-28-2012, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Oh I see, I have no such red cable that you speak of.
Hummm seems like a PO has been upgrading (sic) your car.....

Mark
Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Turbofrog

All gone now

I stripped the hell out of my trunk. It feels soooo good to get extra (sorry purists) stuff out of the way.

This came out of the trunk as 'useless'

I bought a 4 fuse ATO holder and used my old ATO 6 fuse holder (was for fuel pumps) and head light relay kit in front for horn and front lights and moved all other stuff inside of the car (not installed yet). I'm also moving the battery (-->pc680) under the passenger seat.

This has to be sorted too

I wish I had a good colored/sharp wiring diagram. The scanned pdf's give headache.

The main harness is in pieces as I got electric mayhem at nurburgring when some of the wires burned in the main harness. Got some european color coded wires from Germany so I'm rewiring the mainharness and at the same time making it a lot more simpple. I'm keeping only the WUR of the extra accessories at the back so the trunk will also look a lot more cleaner. Not much weight loosed but every bit counts and I think I'm already under 2500lb so it's getting harder to loose more.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Whoa..........good luck with that.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: