Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Ok just jumping back into this.. just started it up, and I did the usual "carb cleaner" test,, sprayed all around with no change in idle speed..
Then I leaned out the throttle body adjuster and as I did the idle went up..
Couldn't adjust it out any measurable difference with the idle screw..
how would I check that aux air valve??

91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 05-07-2012, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Before you start it when cold, remove the hose that goes into it, use a flashlight and see if it is open (it should be) If it is warm and running squeeze the hose that goes into it to make sure it is closed (it should be closed when warm. Or remove hose to it when warm and engine off to make sure it is closed.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Ok just jumping back into this.. just started it up, and I did the usual "carb cleaner" test,, sprayed all around with no change in idle speed..
Then I leaned out the throttle body adjuster and as I did the idle went up..
Couldn't adjust it out any measurable difference with the idle screw..
Pinch the hose going to it to completely stop the air flow. If the valve is stuck open, then cutting off the air will cause the idle to drop.

And/or, pull off the hose and take a look inside at the opening, car hot and car cold. The opening should close down when she's hot. And/or, take the AAR off the car, put it in the oven at 150 for awhile, check the opening, then put in the icebox for awhile and check it again. Pretty crude, but it will tell you if the thing is functioning or not.

Shoot, while typing OilOnly beats me to the punch!!!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Shoot, while typing OilOnly beats me to the punch!!!
Yeah but you suggested the icebox/oven route. I like that approach.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Banned

So have you ruled out the decel valve? The carb cleaner test would not tell you if the diaphram was torn etc. . .
Old 05-07-2012, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Ronnie, I am pretty sure I took the decel valve out when I removed all the air pump junk (didn't I ?).
Since it was running well when I took the engine out, I'm thinking something didn't get connected again ??
Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Ok just went out and have this to report..
took off the hose on the AAR, could see a small hole opening.
started it and it died when I pulled the hose.. however when I plugged the hose it revved right back up and ran well but fast,, I could regulate the speed by regulating the amount of air that was allowed to be sucked into the hose. Meanwhile the AAR was sucking air like crazy..
ideas?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Todd, if you pull the hose then keep in mind that the other end it's connected to is the intercooler. You pull the hose off the AAR, and the IC will now have a MASSIVE air leak (thus, your engine shut down as would be expected). Somewhere, I've got a picture of what the opening should look like when stone cold. I'll find it and post it.

HA!!! Found it.....Note that the opening is around 90% open. It's on a disc that rotates freely with spring tension against it. If you were to run ethe car until fully warm, then all but the bottom "slot" of the opening would be closed. If you were to completely block the hose that connects to the IC, and completely plug the opening to the AAR, then your idle should drop to around 500 with a stone cold engine.

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 05-07-2012 at 07:02 PM..
Old 05-07-2012, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

ok so yes it's open when cold,, and yes the massive air leak into the intercooler is what I closed off and allowed it to continue running.
So I'm thinking that the symptoms I'm seeing are not reflecting a bad AAR,, just the opposite right ?
Oh and it idles fast hot OR cold
Old 05-07-2012, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
ok so yes it's open when cold,, and yes the massive air leak into the intercooler is what I closed off and allowed it to continue running.
So I'm thinking that the symptoms I'm seeing are not reflecting a bad AAR,, just the opposite right ?
Oh and it idles fast hot OR cold
I wouldn't rule out the AAR just yet. The question is......is it still that far open when it's hot? Thus, it would draw too much air into the manifold post-throttle body and cause a high hot idle.

Two things can prevent it from closing completely when hot: (1) the AAR is not getting any electrical power (it's on the same circuit as the rear fuel pump relay) and thus will never heat up enough to close off. Or (2) it's just plain old stuck, i.e., mechanically worn out/gummed up inside.

I still want to know, if you have all the hoses connected correctly and when she's fully warmed up and idling too high, does the idle drop when you completly pinch the hose closed? (I use a pair of long nosed pliers to do a good pinch job).

Almost done diagnosing...now for a glass of vino, a good book, and bed time.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Ronnie, I am pretty sure I took the decel valve out when I removed all the air pump junk (didn't I ?).
Since it was running well when I took the engine out, I'm thinking something didn't get connected again ??
The decel valve doesn't have anything to do with the airpump system - not saying you didn't remove it but that cought my eye in your sentence . . .
Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Thanks guys, I'm going to call it for a night as well. I'll pick this up next weekend.. (traveling this week)
T
Old 05-07-2012, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Originally Posted by 9dreizig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
The decel valve doesn't have anything to do with the airpump system - not saying you didn't remove it but that cought my eye in your sentence . . .
Your symptoms point to an air leak somewhere downstream from the throttle body. As Ronnie points out, the decel valve is one possibility - being that it's connected post-TB. It's that gold saucer-shaped thingy with large (1/2"?) hoses connected to it.
Since your car was idling fine before you pulled the engine, then either you left something disconnected or failed to plug a hose somewhere after removing the air pump junk. That's the most likely scenario. The AAR....yes, a malfunctioning one will cause this, but it would be a coincidence that it's failed since puting the engine back in. You never know, though.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

I agree Mark, I'm sure this whole thing is a result of a brain fart..
This weekend in between track days I"ll pull the intercooler and do a complete evaluation of all hoses etc.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Ok had some time today,, Here's what I did..
made a bung clamp for the LM-2 (welded the bung to some steel stock and then to a set of vice clamp plier,, works great)..
So from there, tuned it up to a perfect 13.7 idle.. still couldn't get it down to 1800 rpm
stayed there when warm,, then took it for a spin.. went pig rich upon start up (WITHOUT going into boost). It does still develop full boost..
So looks like I'm back in search of a vacuum leak..
BTW, recently had put new seals on intake, all injector blocks are good no cracks..
Also did the "spray test" with carb cleaner,, no noticeable change in rpms..
HATE looking for these things!!
Old 05-28-2012, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Ok guys working on it again this weekend. Im' changing out all the hoses that go to the decel valve ,, any idea how to check the decel valve?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Ok guys working on it again this weekend. Im' changing out all the hoses that go to the decel valve ,, any idea how to check the decel valve?
Probably the easiest thing to do is to remove the decel valve (if it is still there), cap all the ports (including the tiny one on the throttle body) and then see if the idle is still high and unadjustable . . .
Old 06-02-2012, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

should it be open or closed when cold ? I can see into it..
Old 06-02-2012, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Banned

The decel valve is not temperature operated - vacuum created by closed throttle moves a diaphram within it and thus opens a port and allows air to bypass the throttle plate . . .
Old 06-02-2012, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

My opinion, post a few pictures of the engine so we can see how you have it set up. JMHO

Old 06-02-2012, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: