Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Front license mount

So I have this nice newly painted virgin front valence with a split screen in the middle. I have to mount a front license plate, no legal room to moan about aesthetics, design, big brother, et alia.

While I am loathe to drill holes in the car, anyone have any tried and tested suggestions? It's much easier on later model Porsches as a guy makes a nice mount which screws into the front tow hook slot.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Use the factory front mount, pelican sells them
Old 04-29-2012, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Mine has an oil cooler opening in the center of the valence too. I stuck a Velcro strip on the top edge of the back of the plate and attach it to the rubber rub strip on the bumper. Believe it or not, it stays well attached even at high speed. I keep it off most of the time (but handy in case I get pulled over) except when the car is parked on the street--no front plate in my state invites a parking ticket.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
That's too bad you have to mount the front plates. Since it looks like you have an oil cooler up front perhaps drill multiple small holes in the plates (not through the number/letters) to let air through?
Old 04-29-2012, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have seen some people make a bracket that came from under the valence and they could install and remove the plate easily. When the plate was off, only a small 1in wide piece of metal would stick out from under there... not sure where they got that but I too would like one like it. For now, mine is held with zip ties that I cut everytime I go to the track...
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 04-29-2012, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Didn't notice the oil cooler, in that case I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks. I looked at the OEM one and decided that I will just make one up on my own - perhaps two thin brackets coming out from the top of the screen on each side of the break. Finding something behind the valence to attach them to should be no big deal.

I had a 76 930 years ago and the PO simply held the license plate on with two sheet metal screws into the rubber strip. I can do better than that.

Thanks again.

Last edited by EluxT; 04-30-2012 at 06:16 AM..
Old 04-30-2012, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Do you happen to have all the bits & pieces from the old OEM bracket?

I am in need of the two white plastic anchor inserts that go into the valence as well as the two square black rubber mounting bushings that are part of all the bits associated with the front bracket mounting system.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I've gone native

I would use the stock mount w multiple holes drilled in it. No front plate equals a hassle in NYS.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
Do you happen to have all the bits & pieces from the old OEM bracket?

I am in need of the two white plastic anchor inserts that go into the valence as well as the two square black rubber mounting bushings that are part of all the bits associated with the front bracket mounting system.
Sorry, no, don't have it, but you can find variations of the white blocks at Autozone.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I was stopped by the Highway Patrol for no front plate. I asked why motorcycles do not have to have a front plate. He told me because the were only issued one plate that's why. This gave me a idea. I went to DMV and asked what plate my car was eligible for that only one plate was issued. Dmv said my car was eligible for a Special Purpose Plate. Only one plate is issued. There are some restrictions but my car is not a daily driver so it's not a issue. In Oregon it's a permanent plate (no renewal and no emissions test)
Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
If you Google retractable license plate...

Since your 930 is not as low as mine this might work...

Altec Retractable License Plate Holder - 400EU
https://flic.kr/p/nVgoAC
Old 05-01-2012, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nreed View Post
If you Google retractable license plate...

Since your 930 is not as low as mine this might work...

Altec Retractable License Plate Holder - 400EU
ok that's cool....might have to look into that

Old 05-01-2012, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: