Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Wrapping the headers

In my first 911, I wrapped the headers to keep the temps down. I had no problems with this at all....I ran them like this for about 4 years...

Now I have a 930....What is the story on the street for these.....I have seen some wrapped at the race track (Professionals) and still dont have a clear picture with the higher temp exhaust...

Having mentioned that...what about the fiberglass rear bumper....there is no protection from the heat of the muffler or turbo... Is there a heat blanket that someone has used to protect the fiberglass and paint?

Im still learning this 930 stuff...i didnt realize that there is that much of a difference.

Thanks..

1974 Porsche 911 (2003 - 2012)
2000 Boxster S (2006 - 2008)
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

Here are some previous threads on the subject -

Pro/Con Ceramic Coating or wrapping

Muffler / turbo shield

Turbo blankets?

Exhaust and header wrap

Thermo Tech Header Insulation Wrap
Old 04-30-2012, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ceramic. More efficient, looks way better.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I've gone native

Probably no advantage on a street car.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Well not exactly

Those were good links and some of them I did see...

cutting holes in my bumper is not the first choice....because its just fiberglass..
Wrapping the headers, well, I have seen the same aurguments...not pictures to back up the conjecture....so I will leave that alone...

One question still remains...has anyone used a blanket on the bumperside to protect it from the heat?
1974 Porsche 911 (2003 - 2012)
2000 Boxster S (2006 - 2008)
Old 05-01-2012, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

When I installed a RarlyL8 muffler and fiberglass valence I put layers of aluminum tape on the inside of the valence and insulation (the common type that is dense cloth like substance on one side and aluminum foil on the other) on the inside of the bumper (since I removed the OEM heat shield). I attached the bumper insulation with Weldwood contact cement. It has stayed in place for several years and seems to work well to keep some heat off those surfaces.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DohertyCM View Post
Wrapping the headers, well, I have seen the same arguments...not pictures to back up the conjecture....so I will leave that alone...

One question still remains...has anyone used a blanket on the bumper side to protect it from the heat?
I have conducted OEM warranty reviews on literally thousands of turbos. I can see when a turbine housing has been wrapped by the metal over temp, scaling, cracks and distortion. Wrapping a turbine housing will fail it and I always reject warranty - no debates. Wrapping exhaust manifolds will do the same.

Ceramic coating as suggested by the pros above and or protection on the bumper inside surface is your best bet.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Your bumper should NEVER get that hot on a street car. My fiberglass bumper had no protection at all and never was more than warm to the touch. If your bumper is too hot to touch you have a problem, any padding is just a bandaid.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

My bumper was not alarmingly hot or anything . . . I put the insulation in place as a "precaution" since I was no longer using the OEM, metal heat shield.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

RarlyL8, I have an 89 turbo, totally stock. My stock bumper, top of right corner (when facing rear of car), gets VERY hot in in-town traffic. Is that not right? Any guess of causes?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2012, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Banned

The bumpers and rear quarter panel areas DO get hot on these thinsg (especially in Texas - ha!) . . . obviously, it is very difficult to say what is normal and what is too hot. This summer, I am going to measure the temps on my car in these areas . . .

Old 05-02-2012, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: