Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

A Big Shout-Out to Cole !!!

I have owned a 1990 Ford, 17' box truck (7.3L diesel) for 14 years. Throughout this time I have always had a ***** of a time bleeding the braking system as there is probably over 20 feet of hardline and flex hose as well as a rear antilock unit that is hard to remove air from - conventional method is too slow and a real problem as I typically work solo. I have even repeatedly tried a pneumatic "sucking" bleeder, and while it draws alot of fluid quickly, seems to leave the air in the system no mater what I do or how much fluid I pass through it. I was struggling to get any pedal pressure at all after I changed a flex hose and a leaking rear cylinder (struggled for two days with the "sucker" that I paid about $65 for a few years ago). Well, I read Cole's "air pressure at the master cylinder" suggestion and decided to try that. I drilled a hole in a spare reservoir cap, put a small hose barb on it and hooked a filtered air hose up to it (using about 15-18 psi) . . . went though the calipers, cylinders and anti-lock valve like this (and over 2 quarts of fluid) and, wouldn't you know it, I now have the best brake pedal feel I have had in probably 10 years!

Thanks so much, Cole!

Ron

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 05-01-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Old 05-01-2012, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Thats been the most common one man way it's done in a shop since the auto repair business has existed.

You can buy a pump up plastic bottle here on pelican made to do this. It comes with a plastic cap with an 8mm plastic hose barb on it for the master cylinder. The company will sell just the cap too if you want to use it with an air compressor and regulator.

You can also buy a generic plastic bug spray tank with air pump handle that does the same thing for around $20 at harbor freight tools nd rig it up to bleed brakes.

Nice thing about the plastic pump up bottles is you can put brake fluid in the bottle and you'll be refilling the master cylinder tank while bleeding the brakes and there is little chance of running low on fluid and pumpng air into the master cylinder and really screwing things up.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Thats been the most common one man way it's done in a shop since the auto repair business has existed.
Well, given that fact, and taking Cole's age into consideration, it's a safe bet that he invented the technique!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ron:

It was a technique born out of the fact I'm so old and nasty no one
wants to help me anymore. Consequently I had to find a way to
make it a one man job.

I'm glad it worked for you and now I have done my one good deed
for the year.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 05-01-2012 at 03:04 PM..
Old 05-01-2012, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Another use with the plastic pump bottle can be to fill some hard to get fluid areas. I just used my pressure bleeder setup to fill my 540i transmission, which has to be filled with the car idling.
90 weight might take a while unless you heated it up first, but the ATF in the BMW was easy.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: