Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Insurance question

Ive been shopping for the right car for a while, and my search continues. In the mean time, can I get some recommendations on insurance company to sign with? This is going to be my first "collector" car. So far I've gotten quotes from Hagerty (because I see them advertised a lot, so I figured I would check them out), and Chubb (found through the PCA).

Thanks

Old 05-01-2012, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm on Chrome with Anpac (forgive me if I butcher the spelling). Best priced I could find at the time. I don't know the details of the top of my head but if you do a search from Chrome or Anpack/Anpac you should find a couple of posts. Of course I have not had to file a claim (thank God) so YMMV.

Mine is about 300-350/yr and I can drive it to work every once and while.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have everything through WestBend. For the 930 I have a collector policy with agreed value based on an appraisal of $46k. I am limited to 2500 miles/year (not hard to stay under when you live in Iowa) but there are no restrictions on when and where I can drive it. I've seen some collector policies that say you cannot drive it to work. One thing I like is that I do not have to tell them "it's in storage....it's being driven...." like I do with the policy I have on the SC. Since the SC is in 4,000 pieces right now that's not a problem

I don't remember what I'm paying for the 930, but I think it's $400/yr and I have one 10+ mph speeding ticket on my record.
17 NSX - Nouvelle Blue
Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

American Collector here, got them through USAA.
'86 930
Old 05-01-2012, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
hagerty
Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Also try AAA. I'm paying $300/yr through them. But I'm grandfathered in, as I've been told they have since upped the age of vehicle they're willing to cover.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
State Farm here...stated value policy...very reasonable.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Gasman View Post
American Collector here, got them through USAA.
+1 $40,000 stated value, 5,000 miles/year, $333 anually
Old 05-02-2012, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNNR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletcher0780 View Post
+1 $40,000 stated value, 5,000 miles/year, $333 anually
I hope you guys are aware that stated value and agreed value are not the same thing. There's no promise to pay up to stated value. It's best to have agreed value.

Anyway I'm with Grundy Worldwide insurance.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD94 View Post
I hope you guys are aware that stated value and agreed value are not the same thing. There's no promise to pay up to stated value. It's best to have agreed value.

Anyway I'm with Grundy Worldwide insurance.
Just checked my policy, it shows agreed value. Guess I used the wrong term.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNNR View Post
Same here. State Farm. I set the value, sent some photos and insured the car. I will say though. I have my home and two other cars with them.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
Also try AAA. I'm paying $300/yr through them. But I'm grandfathered in, as I've been told they have since upped the age of vehicle they're willing to cover.
They stopped early this year. I just missed it.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks.
I also use State Farm for our other cars and our home, but when I checked with them about this car, they stated that unless the car was going to be "limited use only" per the definitions below, it could not be insured on an agreed value basis. I want o use the car on the weekends, holidays, etc, not too many miles per year, between 2000 and 5000 max (if a long road trip was to be included), but that doesn't fall under their defined criteria (this is an excerpt from the State Farm definitions document for Antique and Classic cars):
Quote:
The true antique or classic car owner is generally someone who has spent many hours of hard work in renovating the vehicle. These car owners take a great deal of pride in their accomplishments and spend a considerable amount of their time caring for and maintaining the vehicle. Because of this, the vehicle is used infrequently and only for special occasions. While membership in an antique or classic car club is considered an indication of the intended use, the absence of membership, in and of itself, should not prevent a vehicle from being considered for this special rate.
Many older cars may meet the age requirements to be considered an antique or classic vehicle, but use of the vehicle is the primary factor in terms of underwriting and rating. Underwriting must determine whether the overall use is "limited" to that of an antique or classic vehicle, or, whether it is "regularly" used for personal, pleasure, or business purposes.
Vehicles with "limited" use are those vehicles that are used primarily in exhibitions, club activities, parades, or similar functions of public interest and used infrequently for other purposes. If the vehicle is used "regularly" for personal, pleasure, or business it should be rated under the regular rules and rates that apply to the type of vehicle to be insured.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: