Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

cyl head temp sender

Would a VDO cylinder head temperature gauge sending unit work for megasquirt and other efi?

The instructions that come with the gauge say's you can put the sending unit on a spark plug or in a pinch under a cylinder head bolt or nut on stud.

EFI is so adjustable and programmable with a laptop it seems like it could be programmed to work with one of these.
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_indS.asp?Sender=Cyl_Head&PN=323-701

Last edited by JFairman; 05-04-2012 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: fixed the link
Old 05-04-2012, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I use a stock 3.6 head temp sender wiwwth my MSIII. I use the Saab-Bosch from the drop down to calibrate it if I remember right. It was very close.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Jf, just curious, are you going MS EFI?
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 05-05-2012, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My cis works really good for what it is so I'll stay with it for now anyway. I like efi, even old analog L-jetronic and have had it in a BMW so who knows in the future..

I put in a VDO cyl head temp gauge the other day and wondered if the simple temp sender for it might work with or help efi for cold start afr accuracy.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
The temp sensor you have looks to me like a thermocouple which will not work with EFI systems as they apply a fixed voltage to sensor with a resistance that varies with temperature. A thermocouple produces a voltage.

Dave
Old 05-07-2012, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You're right it is a thermocouple that produces a small voltage as it gets hotter and hotter. I have no idea how it does that but it does...

Anyway, I figured maybe some aftermarket EFI ECU's can be programmed to use that varying thermocoupler voltage instead of the return resistance or how much of the voltage signal from the ECU is returned to the ECU or grounded by the sensor.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
They produce a small voltage because of two different elements, look here:

Thermocouple application note from Pico Technology

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 05-07-2012, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for posting that. I never looked it up.
The sensor is a copper ring with a leg and two wires crimped on the end.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: