Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Which 911?

I also posted this on the 911 section as I didn't realize this was for 930s only. Sorry about the cross post.

I am considering buying an older 911. By older I'm talking late 70s to late 80s. So which one?

I'd like to get something in very good condition that has had extensive work done on it. Not looking for a project car since I'm not all that mechanical. And yes, I know this means be prepared to spend a lot of money at the local Porsche mechanic. That's the price of owning expensive toys. My boat mechanic appreciates my business as well

Anyway, if I get a Porsche I want performance. I want to hit the gas, get thrown back in my seat and move. I've looked around for 0-60 times but it seems like the numbers are all over the map year to year and even for the same year different sources list different data. Without going out and test driving everything under the sun, it's hard to know what's what.

So from the body of knowledge here, what are the best options?

Also as far as known issues. Are there any years to stay away from for whatever reason?

This will be a weekend drive in the country car and not a daily driver. So while reliability is always a factor when buying a car, I won't drive it enough to really matter that much. I also live in a cold snowy winter climate (Eastern. Washington) so 1/2 the year it won't be driven at all.

Price is flexible, but around $20K is where I'd like to be.

Thanks.

Last edited by Leafs; 05-11-2012 at 08:15 AM..
Old 05-10-2012, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Let's see....eastern Washington would most likely be Spokane area. What's a little snow...you didn't have much this year or last.

So, you want a 911. Perhaps post your questions on the 911 forum. Here, you're talking to the radical crowd of turbo 911 owners....thus, 930's. We would answer your questions simply: Buy a 930, any year. You want to be thrown back in your seat???? The 930 will never fail to give you a huge smile on your face every time the turbo has spooled up to max bark. The way the market is lately, $20K should get you into a fair condition car but probably higher mileage. Get a PPI done to gauge the condition first and second, drive it. You may not like the low compression and slight turbo lag at first, but you will soon overlook that little inconvenience when your car blows past almost all cars on the road today. Spend just a few well placed additional dollars and your 930 will be basically untouchable.

I enjoy mine for about 7 months out of the year before the snows hit central WA. A 911 or a 930....both are a real treat to drive.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I'm not so sure I'd want to own any $20K 911 turbo.

But for $20K, I'd think about a Carrera ('84-'89). The '84-'86 years had a 915 transmission (5-speed) and cable-operated clutch. Also about 207 HP, IIRC. The '87-'89 had a G50 transmission (also a 5-speed, but somewhat smoother) and a hydraulic clutch. 217 HP. But creature comforts are pretty meager in those years (and earlier).

If things like working-AC and softer suspension are important, then consider the 964 line from 1990 - '94. They're a bit unloved, amongst the 911 faithful. That's represented in their pricing. But they're decent cars, nonetheless, and you should be able to find a good one for $20K. (Personally not a fan of their styling.)

I don't think you can get a good 993 ('95-'98) for your pricepoint, but maybe you'll be lucky. If you find a good one at this price, get it.

Likely to be a bit lower than your pricepoint would be the SC (Super Carrera) years ('78-'83?) that actually came before the Carrera years ('84-'89). The SCs are regarded nearly as well as the Carreras, though the SCs had the 915 transmission and CIS injection, along with a little less HP (around 175?). I have some friends who are very fast in those cars. I think you could spend in the mid-teens for a good example.

Cars before 1976 (?) or so weren't galvanized, so rust was a more prevalent problem in earlier cars.

One thing about these cars: it's not just about neck-snapping acceleration. Any V8 Mustang will out-accelerate a 911 for similar amounts of money. But if you value things like driving feel and handling, I think that's what sets a 911 apart from most other cars on the road. Well, other than its timeless styling.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Go for as clean an SC as you can afford. I wouldn't touch a $20k 930.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Let's see....eastern Washington would most likely be Spokane area. What's a little snow...you didn't have much this year or last.

So, you want a 911. Perhaps post your questions on the 911 forum. Here, you're talking to the radical crowd of turbo 911 owners....thus, 930's. We would answer your questions simply: Buy a 930, any year. You want to be thrown back in your seat???? The 930 will never fail to give you a huge smile on your face every time the turbo has spooled up to max bark. The way the market is lately, $20K should get you into a fair condition car but probably higher mileage. Get a PPI done to gauge the condition first and second, drive it. You may not like the low compression and slight turbo lag at first, but you will soon overlook that little inconvenience when your car blows past almost all cars on the road today. Spend just a few well placed additional dollars and your 930 will be basically untouchable.

I enjoy mine for about 7 months out of the year before the snows hit central WA. A 911 or a 930....both are a real treat to drive.
A little outside Spokane, out in the sticks where it's snowier than in the city.
I could do $25K I suppose if it made a noticeable difference.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You're looking at 30-35k for a decent 930, anything less is going to be a project. A project is not bad as long as you're willing to put in the time and effort to do it right. I bought my 930 for 20k last year, by the time it's done I'll have spent another 15k, it's easily a 35k car.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
If you want to be amazed with power, it's harder to do in an older 911 without turbo these days. Heck a nice 911 85-88 could get it's butt handed to it by a kia these days. So, I put a turbo on my 77. But for 20k?
Get a 928gts
If you have to have a 911, don't worry too much about 0-60 as much as light weight and fun driving experience is my suggestion for 20k. These cars are amazing fun to drive just don't do any stop light grand prix with a modern car unless you have something like I have.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: