Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Carrol Shelby :(

RIP-Have a beer with Butzi....God Speed.

Carroll Shelby Obituary - Motor Trend News

Old 05-11-2012, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quite the man and builder, I put him up there with the likes of Chuck Yeager.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Lone Wolf

I heard the news today......RIP
A legend!

Benny
Old 05-11-2012, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I've gone native

Rip, he was a legend.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

RIP Shelby was an American legend, we'll never see the likes of again
Raise a toast tonight guys.
'86 930
Old 05-11-2012, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage

cheers to a legend!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
R.I.P. Mr. Shelby
Old 05-11-2012, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I missed the school bus coming home from Jr. high school, one day. And as such, had to walk the several miles home. About half way there, I saw, for the first time, a couple of brand new 66' 427 Cobra's being spiritedly driven past me, and I remember how I loved the look and the sound of those two monsters. That beast instantly became my favorite car, and already being a car freak at the age of 13, I knew, one day, I would just have to have one. I think they went for a few thousand dollars back then and I figured by the time I reached my early 20's I would be able to afford one.

By the time I graduated college I was 22 and a few months later already raising a family on a US Navy Ensign's salary. By this time Cobra's were going for about $14,000 and that $14,000 still put them out of my reach.

The closest I came to owning a Cobra was a 67' 427 Corvette convertible with factory side pipes and a M-22 transmission that I bought 30 years ago but subsequently had to sell a couple of years later to feed/house said family. I remember loving the noise that transmission made as I went through the gears...And I loved how I could start out in third gear when I was coming home from work, dead tired, and just leaving it there as I drove through traffic.

Somehow it seemed, the older I got and the more I made, the more they cost.

I may be wrong, but I think when I bought my Vette for $5,500, the Cobra's were going for high five figures or low six figures, and as such, the Vette's were bargains in comparison...But as much as I loved that car, it just wasn't a Cobra.

Oh, I guess there were times when I could have bought a real Cobra...If I chose not to spend the 100's of thousands to put my kids through school or let someone else take care of my parents. But as much as I loved that car, I loved my family more.

A few years ago I bought a 65' Mustang fastback and restored it to look like a 66' Shelby. It's not a real one...Just a tribute. But at a time like this, I hope Carroll will forgive me and accept my tribute and rememberance to a man who has been part of my automotive dreams for 47 years. You will be missed.

Last edited by icemann427; 05-11-2012 at 06:18 PM..
Old 05-11-2012, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

He was a DOER ! RIP

For those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

like icemann the mustang and the shelby mustang was one of the first cars that caught my eyes and turned me into a car nut. Granted i am 20 years old, but the first car that i was plopped next to at 5 years old was a replica eleanor mustang. my grandfather started it and endded up finishing it when i was in junior high. the attention that car made and grabbed was unreal thats what gave me the fascination with cars. mustangs and especially shelby mustangs make statements, and carroll shelby was the best at making statements. radical lines, or screaming v8s, no matter how old you are, car nut or not, they will always grab ur attention. they just make you smile.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Met him once, always figured we'd cross paths again someday, so never got out of it what I should have. I found out earlier today and it really put me in a funk for the rest of my Friday...

RIP Carrol Shelby, I agree with above, he was a DOER!
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 05-12-2012, 12:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
What a great life he lead. RIP

Old 05-12-2012, 01:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Having formerly raced a Shelby GT-350 and having built a Factory Five Cobra, I was an admirer of Mr Shelby. His greatest achievement, to me, was winning Le Mans - that's as good as it gets for race car drivers.

Some years ago he said that if he had any more organ transplants, his country club was going to ask him to reapply for membership as someone else. Funny guy.

This is me in my former GT-350 at Summit Point. The car was a real ***** to drive.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
r.i.p
Old 05-12-2012, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
mcguff73

Garage
Shelby is the featured mark at the Monterey Reunion (formerly the Monterey Historics) this August at Laguna Seca. Really a shame that he's not going to be there for his own party. And lets not forget about the Carroll Shelby Foundation that "helps kids battle life-threatening illnesses". Truly one of the greats
Old 05-12-2012, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Wow this is sad news R.I.P.

77 911tt EFI wide body red/ Slightly modified SOLD
Old 05-12-2012, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: