Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Gruppe M intake

Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever seen or know of someone who has had this installed in their car? GruppeM Porsche Air Intakes | PORSCHE 930 TURBO Carbon Fiber Intake System by GruppeM

Old 05-12-2012, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
seeker of wisdom

Wow that thing is ridiculous expensive~ I'd rather upgrade the Turbo or put headers on the car for what that costs/benefits...
Old 05-12-2012, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
What's that saying...."A fool & his money soon go seperate ways"

Mark
Old 05-12-2012, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I think that’s one of those pieces for the guy who thinks a carbon fiber intake is more interesting than a measly 2 grand

1985 Carrera: Big Reds = Ass Saver
Old 05-12-2012, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Should of changed the intercooler 1st, for that kind of money and change left for a k&n.

Last edited by wjfk32; 05-13-2012 at 01:56 PM..
Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I would like to see it in person. Interesting how the air flow curves down and around. Would use the money for many other mods on the car though.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

As many of you know I have long searched to unlock some of the
mystery that surounds the differences between the stock 930 and the
ledgendary 934. Outside of the obvious headers and centermount
turbo very little is known. Two of the main mystery components are
the CIS and wierd air intake. Recently we have gotten some invaluable
information from a fellow Pelican overseas that shows us that the 934
CIS is a completely customised unit directly from Bosch and is no longer
available.
As for the air intake, we know what it looked like but didn't necessarily
understand what train of thought was behind why it was done this way.
A very wise man was kind enough to explain and sent me this.

" Cole-

The plate weighs air mass flow.

What I see is basic optimizing of inlet conditions into the metering plate/orifice to eliminate turbulance. Turbulence in this location at higher mass flow could prevent proper metering. A bell-mouth flow nozzle and straight section of tubing (ideally one diameter in height) will accomplish this. Think velocity stack but stubby.

Looks to be a flow nozzle under the screen in the dirty engine 934 shot. You are not tuning a pulse, you are simply allowing the air inlet to pull in all that is possible and present a uniform column of air to the plate.

Why it is not done on the factory installation? Probably is more about packaging considerations (no room for an ideal situation). These compromises happen all the time. Plus this is a problem outside the normal operating range at their design power level.

Wouldn't mess with attempting turning vanes. One idea discussed is a definite NO-NO. Never place guide vanes in the inlet of these turbo-compressors. The eddy currents they produce excite the inlet blades and can cause blade separation in very quick order."

Interestingly enough the factory 934 air intake looks exactly like the
discription above.

So if bling works for you that's fine but if your looking for function over
form you might think about getting creative.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 05-13-2012 at 09:44 PM..
Old 05-13-2012, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

All I can add to this thread is that a few years ago, someone who I used to consider a friend, put one of these intakes on his Ferrari 360. I can tell you that the fit and finish of the unit back then was top notch. I am pretty sure it does nothing for performance, but if eye candy is what you want, and have the pocket to bear the price, then you cannot do much better than this.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: