Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Special Thanks To Rarelyl8 and Accurate Tool

Brian Bodart (Rarely) and Martin Folgmann (A Tools) have turned a middle aged man into a child at Christmas. What began as fairly major upgrade took a nasty turn when my shoulder and neck required surgery. Brian had sold me the parts for the upgrade and I remained in touch with him during the early stages. While working on the 1987 930 my shoulder and neck became troublesome - very much so. I learned from Doc I had serious problems stenosis and a bad rotator tear. That's when I asked Brian for a recommendation for a mechanic to help finish the build. He recommended ACC Tool in Huntsviille, Alabama. A 12 hour trip from my home. WHy Not - the prices quoted were fair. The motor and the car body were shipped. Yesterday I flew to Huntsville to retrieve my ride. Brian came and picked us up at the airport. Southern folks are the best - kind, considerate and helpful. I know my wife is from the South. My Porsche was cleaned and ready to test drive. WOW! It's worse than that. I am (a Little) frightened of what my Porsche has become. Oh.....! It made the 12 plus hour drive with out a hiccup. NOTHING was a problem. I rolled averaging 90 mph. Porsche is fast - scary fast. The modifications are way more than expected. Power liked I never dreamed.
I want to recommend Rarelyl8 and Accurate Tool to anyone who needs Porsche work. Wayne - the man who actually did the work, is a wonderful and soft spoken man. He confided - that car runs better than I expected. I whole heartedly agree.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I've gone native

What mods do you have?
Any pics?
congrats
c
Old 05-20-2012, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Came in out of the hot shop for lunch and I see this; thanks Dave, glad you had a good trip home!
Martin and Wayne are great folks to work with, they handle all of my installations, repairs and maintenance work.
I took a few pictures along the way and can post them for you. This was our 150WHP package that included a big IC, headers, turbo, cams, TiAL, and CIS mods. When finished the driveability is greatly improved, fuel mileage way up, then you get to the extra 150 horse at the wheels. These engines beg to be modified.

The engine was shipped to us in a crate.

Car was shipped in later.

The engine completed.

Then the car was lowered to Euro height, aligned, and a passenger's side exhaust tip added for true duals. Ready to roll.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The origonal piece of black powder coated or painted sheet metal that blocks air flow from going through the tail grill in between the AC condensor and where the origonal small intercooler was is still there.
It is blocking cooling air flow from going through the last 4 or 5 rows on the right side of the larger new intercooler - making them pretty much ineffective at cooling intake air from the turbo.

It's easy to remove it and cut that part out so all of the intercooler is getting cooling air flow from the tail and then put it back in with aluminum rivets or stainless steel machine screws and nylocks.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I've gone native

What cams are you running, is that a BB IC?
Tia
c
very cool project
Old 05-20-2012, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Great upgrades. I bet it is a real blast. Nice job, Brian.
58 DKW Universal - Baby Crap Yellow/Beige (sold)
Old 05-20-2012, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Cams are a custom grind that I had done for my car. Dave needed them worse than I do right now so in they went. I ordered 2 sets then Camgrinder went AWOL so I don't know if I'll ever see my other set.

IC is courtesy TurboKraft. No need to be another "me too" in the IC business so I peddle his long neck.

The car runs fantastic as it should. The formula is tried and true we just try to take it that extra step. Driveability is job#1, everything else falls into place after that.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
what is the breakdown on added horsepower. bigger intercooler added XXX turbo added xxx etc.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 05-20-2012, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You can't do it that way. Big turbo on a stock system adds little, with my headers adds huge. This is one of those deals where the components are chosen to work together as one producing more than the sum of the components.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: