Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
P Nut

LSD Parts

So I am about to jump on an 86 Euro 930 purchase. It is in a shop for PPI and one of the things that need doing is the LSD is tired. I do not mind the clutch type factory LSD but where does one get the parts to rebuild the diff clutch packs. Even Pelican does not list the rebuild parts other than bearings or seals etc. Want to set it for around 60% max. This is the most economical way for me to go and this setup is best for throttle off OS right?

Old 05-22-2012, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I d recommend, calling Andial in Santa Ana California, they used to set these up a lot and put in Ruf 5 speeds, so they may be able to tell you where to get the parts.

There are some newer aftermarkets you could consider as well, maybe someone else on here will chime in..
Old 05-22-2012, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
In my opinion the clutch type LSD is superior for road/track driving. Yes it is predictable when you come off power in trail braking and is best for throttle off over steer. The kind of differentials that lock up under power and disengage off power or made for drag racing style of driving/car where you have big tires in the rear and little ones in the front and the car is hard to turn with a semi locked clutch type LSD. The lock/unlock LSD drivers tend to be the point shoot then stop turn type drivers that tend to make a road course into a series of mini drag races and not carry much speed in the turns.
Porsche factory LSD or all clutch type for a reason.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I've gone native

Guards makes a nice one.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quaife is another acceptable lower cost LSD to Porsche.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I just rebuilt my ZF limited slip, adding extra clutches and tuning the disc and lock-up for a desired usage. The plates inside the Porsche ZF can be had from other carriers because the inside steel plates, clutches, spring washers are a standard ZF size/fitment from other non-Porsche ZF carriers -- that's the key. You need steel plates and spring washes of different sizes to create a desired lock-up, break away torque percentage. You can also add extra friction clutches to bring it up to 80%, which is what I did. Porsche specific for the same parts are either NLA or mucho deniro. I collected a whole bunch of these parts practically free, so it was easy to mod up my LSD.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I used Guard Transmission rebuild parts when I had mine rebuilt. I had a local shop do the work, so can't say anything about assembly and break away adjustment, etc. The differential works well for me, though I have not had a chance to get to a DE event yet to really test it.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 05-23-2012, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
+ 1 for Guard
Old 05-23-2012, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Guard priced the replacement clutches, washers, etc. at $800 for my ZF LSD. Pretty pricey for just parts.

Tom

Old 05-24-2012, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: