Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Anybody know this setup?

Hi Guys

This is my first post on this forum, I have been lurking for awhile.
I am thinking of buying a 1988 Porsche 930 Targa. Body and Interior is in pristine shape. Has 67000 kms. Engine appears to be a twin plug setup with electronic ignition. Distributor is gone and has been replaced with a Hall Pickup.
Just wondered if anybody recognizes the coil packs? Would these be adjustable
within the computer? Asked the dealer if they knew what computer it was running but they didn't know. Car has had a PPI and all the issues are going to be fixed.
Minor in nature.

Any insite would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

John

Old 05-23-2012, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

More pics please. Interesting set-up (twin plug heads). Never heard of Albert coil packs, rummage through the car to find the controller unless it is tucked in the engine bay (trace the harness).
Yasin
Old 05-23-2012, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Looks like Garretson Intercooler?

Plan on looking for computer on weekend.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

John those coil packs look like stand alone units like the hpv1s. They would operate by that pick up, but I don't see a toothed trigger pulley. maybe it is triggered by a "pulley" on the drivers side cam.
-2002 996 C4S
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Oh and they would be adjustable, not via computer, but there are dials under the covers with the Albert stickers on them.
-2002 996 C4S
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I do remember seeing a toothed trigger wheel, on lower pulley, along with sensor. I will try and get some better pics this weekend.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
It's a electromotive HPV-1 ignition system with a sensor on the crankshaft pulley. Ran one for years with no problems, just make sure the gap on the sensor is adjusted correctly and tight.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I don't typically like Targas, especially in the 930 platform, but that is beautiful...very very nice. Awesome stance and condition, someone with money owned this car at some point.

And "yes" that is the Garretson \ Andial intercooler, a huge improvement over the OEM unit.

Curious are you in Ontario?
Yasin
Old 05-24-2012, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
I don't typically like Targas, especially in the 930 platform, but that is beautiful...very very nice. Awesome stance and condition, someone with money owned this car at some point.

And "yes" that is the Garretson \ Andial intercooler, a huge improvement over the OEM unit.

Curious are you in Ontario?
Yasin
+1

Nice looking car - even being a Targa

Welcome to the forum!

Show us some under carriage pictures...
Old 05-24-2012, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Neat Ride!

Definately Electromotive HPV-1 Ignition system. Basiclly GM coil packs from the '80's with some handbuilt hardware to trigger them. Accurate, not nearly as strong a spark as the CD ignition, but great for a decently tuned fuel mixture. You can still download the manual for it from their website. http://distributorless.com/pdf_files/hpv1.pdf I've used several generations of this setup on multiple twinplug turbos, the only common failure was the crank trigger sensor. It's actually a "VR sensor as opposed to a "hall effect" for future likely needed diagnostic references. My old boss tells everybody to keep a spare in the glove box along with tools needed to change it, as the heat from the turbo may eventually kill it.

Richard Clewett is a great source for Electromotive products and info. He also builds Porsche specific hardware to integrate the system to your car.

You can do a couple of neat things with that system such as add a MAP sensor to safely get more advance off boost for better drivability, a remote advance controller (dangerous in many 930 cases)

How does the AC work running off the Fan pulley like that?? That's bizzare. Looks like a 911S fan pulley for an old smog pump drive turning the compressor WAAAYY faster than it should at high engine RPM. Not to mention the extra stress on the oh so critical fan belt. I would look into changing this before using the AC at all. Richard Clewett can sell you a custom made crank pulley that uses factory belts for A/C and fan along with a mount for the newer 3/8" sensor. If you have a homemade mount utilizing the distributor hole, you will need his plug for that as well as his sensor mount uses the distributor stud alone...HOWEVER...

If that were my car, I would pull the flywheel and find someone to machine the trigger teeth into the flywheel, procure a sensor, and sensor mount from any 964,965,993 and get rid of the electromotive sensor all together. Notch the bell housing on the gearbox, set the airgap, build a harness with Bosch 3 pin connector for factory crank trigger on one side, a "Y" to two GM weatherpack connectors for the coil packs, and forget about it... I do live in a hot climate so this may all be completely irrelevant to you...just puttin it out there! Good luck!

Edit: AC compressor speed may not be an issue, sorry, it was early, doh! I still wouldn't run any more load off of my Fan/Alternator belt though. Also, just realized your were contemplating purchase, sorry to dump all that brain fodder on you before you've even bought it...

Last edited by MikeSchNail; 05-24-2012 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: sleepy
Old 05-24-2012, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Tuning is the key and knowing how to do it will either make u sick or great.

GL
Old 05-24-2012, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yes, I am located in Canada. Car is located in Toronto Canada. I am about an hour away.
I will be going back to have a 2nd look on the weekend. Thanks for all the comments.

Mike, Thanks for the heads up on the AC.

JP

Last edited by jpilcher; 05-24-2012 at 09:52 AM..
Old 05-24-2012, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: