Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

86 930 won't start

Hi all, I have checked a few of the threads, but nothing seems exactly like my problem.

Normal temperature.

Car will crank, may even fire up, and shuts down immediately.

The fuses all look good.

When I turn the ignition on, before cranking, I can hear inside the car the typical whining of the fuel system.

With the ignition on, if I listen to the noises in the engine compartment, there is a sort of a constant whistle very "thin" sound. Same sound in the front compartment.

This has happened before, about 10 years back, and was supposed to have been fixed, but they never told me what it was.

Does anybody have clue?

Thanks

Old 05-28-2012, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sounds like it may be a perma-tune issue. Do you know anyone locally that would let you swap in their ignition box before you have the buy one?

I'm pretty sure that any 8-pin box will work.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Are you referring to the Electronic Ignition box? I may be able to source one for trouble shooting purposes, but last time this happened I'm pretty sure it was an "easy fix" that did not involve replacing parts of that magnitude.
Thanks
Old 05-28-2012, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

BTW, I've seen reference to an under driver's seat relay, and had a look. There is nothing in there except for what seems to be the wires for the power seat.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I've gone native

Fuel pumps?
Ck fuse #6 from the windshield.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Figured it out

Thanks to all, I switched the 2 relays in the trunk and the car started.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Ignition is easy to check. Lay a plug out on the engine block and have someone crank it over while you watch. The CDI boxes usually fail completely not partially. I'd pull your fuel pump relays before you do this.

Next... Check for fuel. You can jumper your fuel pump relays in the boot area to check that your pumps are working.

Use the SEARCH button. Many many threads on this subject matter already exist.

Read up on it and make yourself a checklist. Once you've done the research then small issues like this become easily diagnosed for the DIY mechanic. Good luck with getting her running.

Last edited by HFR_Racer; 05-28-2012 at 12:08 PM..
Old 05-28-2012, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: