Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dash removal 930 87

Thinking of removing my dash to have it recovered in black leather again. Is it easy to remove from the car?

Thanks for any help.

porsche930.myfreeforum.org
Old 05-28-2012, 10:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you have patience and some time. It's not too hard. I would suggest pulling the windshield to get at the hardware easier. I can send you some pictures of the hard bolts to get out if you decide to do it.

Brendon
Old 05-29-2012, 02:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Wow yes please that is very kind of you.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
See Ya, may I ask where you are getting the new dash skin?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

No idea as yet ?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Garage Queen

Garage
Just recovered the dash in my 911 and it wasn't that hard removing or reinstalling with the windshield out.

The issues I ran into were the 2 bolts that protrude down from the dash into the sheet metal below it. These bolts come down behind the gauges. The trick is pulling the dash out and up at the same time so all the bolts clear the sheet metal.

You need to be comfortable in removing your gauges and reaching from the hood through the instrument wiring to reach the 10mm nuts securing the dash.

I tried to recover my dash with a cover I purchased from Pelican. The quality was great, but I was unable to adhere it the dash properly. The 3M trim adhesive would not hold the cover to inside ridge on the top of the dash. Basically, I could not make it look tight and it had nothing to do with the quality of the product I bought from PP.

My experience is the dash is the hardest part to recover. I did my seats, door and body panels, center console and every almost every other piece. I did not do my steering wheel or door handles; I sent those off as well.

After my failure, I sent it to Classic 9 and they recovered the dash. Their work is excellent.

Before with a major fault line running through it.

After
Old 05-29-2012, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys all very helpful. So how many bolts hold in on place please?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I thought it was not necessary to remove the windshield on an 87 and above to remove the dash. Is that correct?
Old 05-30-2012, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Garage Queen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE YA View Post
Thanks guys all very helpful. So how many bolts hold in on place please?
7 bolts. It would be very challenging to remove the dash without first removing the windshield. Also, if you got it out with the windshield in, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to put the dash back in smoothly without damaging your new cover.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Some great feedback guys, I have a cunning plan my windscreen, has a few marks and a milky type bubble in the corner of the screen etc, maybe look for another one then replace it at the same time as the dash.

Last edited by SEE YA; 05-30-2012 at 12:37 PM..
Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Gimme a shout if you need a second pair of hands mate... ...will shoot you a return email - sorry, been a tad busy this last week or so
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 05-31-2012, 02:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks the same your end mate, always glad to help.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: