Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Sacrilege or a matter of taste?

Guys, was chatting with a bloke about putting a clear protector on the hood/bonnet of my 930 and was also thinking about replacing the rear stone guards with the same stuff. My car is red so the black stone guards stand out and I have always appreciated the clean looks of the earlier cars (had a 1970 911 with RS flares - photo in my garage - looked fantastic) but understand that the black stone guards are one of the defining (and much copied) features of these great cars....so just curious what others think.....

Cheers,

Rob

Old 05-30-2012, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Do what you want, easy to change back
Old 05-30-2012, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

As quattrorunner said, you should do what pleases you. That being said, I really like the 930"shark fins"! But of course, I really like the double D bumper tits as well!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I took the shark fins off of mine and put clear protection film on - I prefer the look. The only issue is what the film edge looks like over time... everyone asks me how my car got scraped.
1997 Land Cruiser
Old 05-30-2012, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Also to consider, that "sticker" has been there - most probably - for many many years covering that area from the sun and other elements... so, if you remove it you might notice a different color and texture that will definitely show with the clear one. I tried it and didn't like it, so I put the fins back on. M2c
Old 05-30-2012, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Forte500

Naked looks much better...even with rock chips.IMHO.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I've considered doing the same thing to my red '87, but haven't done it yet, because like Miguel was talking about, I'm not sure what the paint under the rock guards look like after 25 years of no sun and many, many washes and wax's later.
If you do it, make sure you post some pictures.

"You don't have to be CRAZY to own a sports car, but it helps"
Old 05-31-2012, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

From speaking to someone that worked at a dealer when these were new the shark fin stickers were not installed at the factory but at the dealer as part of the pre-delivery process.

If a buyer was intimate with the dealer and ordered a car I'm sure they could request that they never be installed at all.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

Like all subjects regarding the appearances of this car, I guess the "sharks fins or not" is very polarizing. I can't imagine how anyone would think that they look bad on the car, but it seems that some do. I also can't believe how many people out there think a turbo-bodied car looks good with a duck tail or no tail at all - both look silly to me. At least this diversity of taste keeps things interesting!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Forte500

Sorry, misunderstood.....definitely the black shark fins (aka spats) on the rear fenders. Makes the staggered width really pop!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forte500 View Post
sorry, misunderstood.....definitely the black shark fins (aka spats) on the rear fenders. Makes the staggered width really pop!
+1. Plus, at least with my white paint the black fins give some contrast.

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: