Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
am i this dumb...welding on car...CDI not working

so i have been doing a ton of body work on the car and came across two small rust spots about size of dime...i wanted to cut them out and replace with new metal...

i pulled the car out of the garage and grind them off, it was a nice sunny day so i decided to leave it in the driveway...

hook up my MIG welder, and go to town...

the spots are on the quarter panel back by the CDI...

i got done the repairs, i always keep a rag in a bucket of water and ice to put on car after each weld...

turn key to pull car back in and NOTHING from CDI....

would something like this fry the CDI? or did my CDI just die on me...

car turns over, battery is super strong, both fuel pumps are running.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yep, it can kill a CDI, alternator, or other delicate electronics.

Rule of thumb is to always get the work clamp as close to the weld as possible, unhook the ground cable on the battery and unplug the ignition, alternator and other electronics.

Lucky for us, we don't have too many electronics
Old 05-30-2012, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinRice View Post
Yep, it can kill a CDI, alternator, or other delicate electronics.

Rule of thumb is to always get the work clamp as close to the weld as possible, unhook the ground cable on the battery and unplug the ignition, alternator and other electronics.

Lucky for us, we don't have too many electronics
ok, so before i go welding anymore, what is the best way with all this in the car? i dont want to do anymore damage
Old 05-30-2012, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Don't feel bad, I've been there on other projects.

First, disconnect the battery ground.

Second, put the work clamp close to the area being welded on good clean metal. If the clamp moves around, it can arc and cause spikes.

Third, unplug the engine harness to body harness plug to isolate the alternator.

Fourth, unplug the CDI.

Some guys go to the effort of unplugging gauges. The most sensitive would be the tach and speedo.

Some guys get lucky and never have an issue, sometimes it'll fry a couple of things. On an old Chevy I fried a Mallory Unilite module and the alternator regulator.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: