Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil pressure dial plays around.

Hello all silly one maybe, my oil gauge stays in the red zone oil level is fine I checked that before. Once the car is running, it stays in the red zone still, however then sometimes it just plays around middle near the top etc.
I replaced the switch in the oil tank itself ?

I undid the wire to the oil level switch, that sits inside the oil tank it then goes to the top on the dial.

porsche930.myfreeforum.org

Last edited by SEE YA; 05-31-2012 at 12:18 AM..
Old 05-30-2012, 11:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Where the needle indicates when the engine is warmed up is what is relevant for the guage. Make sure the dip stick level showing is compatible with what you are seeing on the guage when oil is warm (if you want to trust the guage).

When I start mine the oil guage is in the red. As it warms up the needle moves toward centre. When driving it moves back down, and back to centre when engine is not under load (when coming to a stop).

If you do a search you will read up on what happens if you fill oil when the engine is cold using the guage as a guide. As it warms the oil expands and you will experience overfill symptoms.

It's uncanny to look at an oil guage that is in the red after starting the car. I check using the dipstick regularly to comfirm what the guage is indicating.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

So are you refering to oil level or oil pressure (your title says oil pressure, but you indicate oil level in your post)?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

As per my first topic in the message its the gauge that has the red zone in the dial and white at the top. The oil pressure one is the duck dial gauge one that goes 0-5.

Sorry for the mistake.

Last edited by SEE YA; 05-31-2012 at 10:46 AM..
Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaCoupe66 View Post
Where the needle indicates when the engine is warmed up is what is relevant for the guage. Make sure the dip stick level showing is compatible with what you are seeing on the guage when oil is warm (if you want to trust the guage).

When I start mine the oil guage is in the red. As it warms up the needle moves toward centre. When driving it moves back down, and back to centre when engine is not under load (when coming to a stop).

If you do a search you will read up on what happens if you fill oil when the engine is cold using the guage as a guide. As it warms the oil expands and you will experience overfill symptoms.

It's uncanny to look at an oil guage that is in the red after starting the car. I check using the dipstick regularly to comfirm what the guage is indicating.

Hope this helps.
Thanks it helps a lot that is what happens like you said, I do still check the oil level with the dip stick as well.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: