Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 distributor signal wire

I have a 1978 930. When the engine was out I had to splice my distributor signal wire (the dreaded green wire) I spliced both the inner and outer wires. Now no spark. The replacement wire is a 7 inch plug in wire. My green wire does not have any plugs other than that of the distributor. The wire simply goes into the wiring harness. It seems that if I buy the replacement I would still have to splice it into the harness. Is there any "green wire" that has two separate wires instead of one shielded one? That would make the splicing a lot more easy!!

Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
You'll probably have to unravel some wire harness cover to expose what you need. I'm pretty sure there would be some plug(I could be wrong) I had some trouble with this wire also and mix n matched some wires and made a plug for it to plug into. I use msd
Old 06-03-2012, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have had my eye on this repair harness Permatune sells. I just haven't been able to locate a place that sells them. Maybe that item would help.

Aftermarket Parts - Porsche 930 Turbo 8-pin
Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advise. Tomorrow I am going to trace this back from the distributor to the CDI. Another engineering marvel.......like the heat exchangers.........
Old 06-03-2012, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

the wire on my 1982 was a one piece, I bought a wire for a 928 and it is long enough to go from the distributor to the CDI box. I had a 1978 SC that had a connector about 6" from the distributor but my 930 does not.
I hope this helps, Frank
1982 930, K-27, BL adj. WUR, Rarlyl8 Headers and Hooligan muffler, MSD 6, 22 and 30mm torsion bars, poly bronze bushings 30mm raised spindles and custom valved Bilstein shocks (by Elephant Racing), monoballs front and rear (by Rennline), Alton 17" Fuchs, Fred Cook fuse panel
Old 06-03-2012, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tops911 View Post
the wire on my 1982 was a one piece, I bought a wire for a 928 and it is long enough to go from the distributor to the CDI box. I had a 1978 SC that had a connector about 6" from the distributor but my 930 does not.
I hope this helps, Frank
Ditto. Some are lucky to have the harness jack. My 86 was not.
Do some searches under Warren's user name for the right coax to go all the way back to the CDI.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks to all!!! Tracing back to the spice everything tested OK. Upon removing the green wire from the distributor the connector came off in pieces!!! Had to carefully remove all the broken stuff from inside the distributor. Next step getting another green wire and splice it again. Still seems like poor engineering, but if I can make it start, who cares!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I had similar trouble which kept me dead for days. My issue after trial and error like for ever, was that my harnes plug was actually bad, not the wire so I stole a plug from my aar which I removed and spliced it into the harnes. then removed that if I remember right and used that to signal the msd, but it would haver been the correct signal to the cdi if I still had that.
Good catch, feels good eh?
Old 06-04-2012, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tops911 View Post
I hope this helps, Frank
Was the 928 part you purchased 928-602-907-00? I'm in the same dilemma. If a prior owner has mucked up with your harness and removed the female connector in the engine harness, you can purchase a Bosch fuel injector connector that will work (I believe it's called an EV-1. Zim's sells these connectors with a two-wire pigtail as part number 9201458 for $8.95. They are in-stock as I purchased one from them on the 30th of May.). The problem is the coaxial wire itself. I may have found a source for the wire on an aircraft repair site, but it's a total crap-shoot as the wire spec is limited to 600V (it's a MIL-SPEC rating). I also checked with Pegasus, no luck there either.

As for the Perma-Tune repair harness, BTDT. They don't sell those repair harnesses anymore. And the Perma-Tune folks were really not very helpful when I talked to them last week.

I've asked a friend who is a regional service tech for PCNA, and he hasn't come up with anything either. There is a reason Porsche shielded this wire (probably EMI), so I'm concerned about splicing in a "regular" wire.

I've also been told that the CORE WIRE in the coaxial wire is the GROUND (Term 31d on the CDI box), and the wound shield wire is the Positive (Term 7 on the CDI box)! How's that for messing with your head???

Would love to hear more from folks who know this system!

Toby
1968/1973 911S MFI #73 - Tweety Bird. 911 PCA Club Racer. E Prepared
2001 GT3 Cup #77 - O M G!

Last edited by tobyp; 06-06-2012 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-06-2012, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Tobyp,
yes that was the wire I used, got it here from Pelican.
1982 930, K-27, BL adj. WUR, Rarlyl8 Headers and Hooligan muffler, MSD 6, 22 and 30mm torsion bars, poly bronze bushings 30mm raised spindles and custom valved Bilstein shocks (by Elephant Racing), monoballs front and rear (by Rennline), Alton 17" Fuchs, Fred Cook fuse panel
Old 06-06-2012, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Senior Advisor

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to James Brown
when i started looking closely to my dissy to modify it, i found the green wire had been cut and a wire nut was used to splice it back together (like romex)!! it was like that for several years without a hitch so who knows. replaced with a piece from Barry Hershon from detroit. (MSD, recurve, all mechanical)
Old 06-06-2012, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
when i started looking closely to my dissy to modify it, i found the green wire had been cut and a wire nut was used to splice it back together (like romex)!! it was like that for several years without a hitch so who knows. replaced with a piece from Barry Hershon from detroit. (MSD, recurve, all mechanical)
Barry has my distributor right now for a complete overhaul. He has a "green wire" solution for me that he is sending along. Gotta love this community!!

Toby
1968/1973 911S MFI #73 - Tweety Bird. 911 PCA Club Racer. E Prepared
2001 GT3 Cup #77 - O M G!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Barry does great work, he rebuilt my distributor and I could not be happier. He even took a genuine interest in helping me getting my car running and checked up on me a couple of months after I was up and running. I did not know of his "green" wire fix before I bought the 928 wire or I would have gotten it from Barry
Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Senior Advisor

Garage

there is his plug that fits into the MSD plug, nice tidy piece. notice full mechanical dissy. Added a ton of hidden power.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

UPDATE!!! Spliced the wire from the distributor to the CDI. No short in any of the green wire. Now...still no spark! The green wire had shorted (both outer and inner wires touching). The CDI still whines, so I am thinking it is ok. Haven't checked the coil. Removed the distributor of course to remove the initial green wire, which crumbled in my hand. Now the question is how to test the CDI to see if coil is receiving current. Or, could it be distributor problem??? HELP!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I'd give a call to Franz Blam @ 770-939-6100, he knows a guy that can build engine harness for 930s; so, he'll know details and most probably have the parts.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brown View Post

there is his plug that fits into the MSD plug, nice tidy piece. notice full mechanical dissy. Added a ton of hidden power.
So no more vacum lines with that set up? I like it. What is the general cost?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Senior Advisor

Garage
for a whole rebuild and recurving around 500 bucks, I got more power out that change than the carbs and SSI's combined. the whole package.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I just haven't been able to locate a place that sells them.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: