Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cherry Rot 930 on ebay - potential warning

I am fairly sure this car is a LOWMILES offering. He has been banned from here. This car was sold for 42K a few weeks ago via ebay. Originally was listed on Craigslist in VT. I talked to the seller, very nice guy. He sold the car to a guy named Philip in Florida. Smells like LOWMILES to me.

I believe the car is legit but do a search on LOWMILES and you can decide for yourself

Porsche : 930 TURBO Porsche : 930 TURBO | eBay

Old 06-06-2012, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I've gone native

Was he banned on ebay too?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The car is nice(as most of his cars are). Yes it is Lowmiles, he is a flipper. Imo there is absolutely nothing wrong with what he is doing(or does). All car dealers buy low and sell high. He usually puts money into the car to make it extremely presentable. His selling tactics on the other hand are crappy. He promises records and certain original parts(if the car happens to have any aftermarket items) but then doesn't come through on his word.

If someone is interested in one of his cars it would be best to have a ppi and inspect the car yourself. If a deal is struck, make sure you physically view all said included items.

Certainly not the type of buyer one should do a sight unseen purchase.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Pure Awesomeness

Garage
Nothing wrong with flipping. There it's something wrong with not keeping your word or being dishonest.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
Was he banned on ebay too?
Yea I noticed that too. Correct me if I'm wrong but his place of business was in Nevada. Funny thing, last year I looked at a car that I could have purchased for $35k. He bought it cleaned it up and did some work to it and had it for sale at $65k. If he even got $60k, that's a nice profit.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Pure Awesomeness

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
Yea I noticed that too. Correct me if I'm wrong but his place of business was in Nevada. Funny thing, last year I looked at a car that I could have purchased for $35k. He bought it cleaned it up and did some work to it and had it for sale at $65k. If he even got $60k, that's a nice profit.
Good for him. He bears the risk that he'll be stuck with the car, lose money, etc...
we owners should be happy he is out there keeping the value of our vehicles high, as long as nothing is being misrepresented our anything shady is going on.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Nothing wrong with flipping. If I had a few more resources and bigger balls I would have done the same thing. The seller in Vt offered the car to me in the high 30s.

Yes, LOWMILES was banned from ebay, I think. Interesting the current listing is with a seller who only has one transaction. When the car was purcahsed on ebay the buyers identity was hidden......and now I see the transaction does not appear in the "completed listings" section......and the craigslist listing has disappeared as well.

I think the car is legit and very nice. But as others have said becareful if this is LOWMILES, he has a history. He has claimed to hail from FL and Nevada over the years.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

This is definitely Philip, but I would not have a problem purchasing a car from him. He is very anal about the vehicles he sells and overall is easy to deal with and very direct.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I wouldn't buy anything from that guy, nuff said.
'86 930
Old 06-06-2012, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
This car is definitely one of Philip Todd's (AKA "LOWMILES") many 930's. He seems to have several great examples for sale on eBay right now, so it doesn't appear he is banned from there. I spoke to him a while back when I was in the market, but something didn't smell right. I wasn't even active on Pelican at the time, but I decided to do a little research. There is a very revealing thread on him (including a link to a mugshot) posted earlier in the year:

Off Topic - Philip Todd...Heard of him?

Now I don't know the gentleman personally and I am not trying to trash his business. I can only relay my brief experience with him and it's up to you to form your own opinion.

I inquired about a couple of his cars and was very interested in one of his turbos that he claimed to have complete service records for. Turns out he didn't have anything but the stamps in the service book from earlier in the car's life (nothing from the previous 10 yrs or so). To me stamps are great but they don't constitute "complete service history." Additionally, he couldn't even tell me when he bought the car or the last time the car had a valve adjustment. Apparently he has over 60 of these things including several with "delivery" miles so it was tough for him to remember. I got the feeling all he was concerned about was the cosmetics since he emphasized over and over again how much time "his guy" spends detailing them and that you would never find a cleaner undercarriage than his (so to speak). Maybe so, but I needed more info on how the car had been serviced.

All his cars look great from the photos, but considering he asks top dollar for them, I would have hoped the ones I asked about would have had better service history. I finally looked elsewhere when he told me service history was overrated with these cars and that if I purchased a turbo from him, I would definitely "overpay." I'm not sure the logic in that sales tactic, but that's just me.

If all the threads are true, all I can say is "What goes around comes around."
Old 06-09-2012, 02:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

"if I purchased a turbo from him, I would definitely "overpay." I'm not sure the logic in that sales tactic, but that's just me."

It may come from the famous line I heard from Tom Barrett @ the BJ auctions years ago regarding ( high quality ) appreciating cars " You never pay too much, you just buy to soon". So always a choice not to buy at a speculative price and look further for a better deal.

Last edited by voitureltd; 06-09-2012 at 07:31 AM..
Old 06-09-2012, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Agreed, what goes around comes around. If you do a search on him a thread comes up about how he got completely shafted on a supposed 930, but it had been complete hacked and cut.

Another example, when he bought the Cherry Rot car which he currently has listed, he told the seller "this car will be going into my personal collection and will not be re-sold." Liar. The buyer did get his money without problems. For some reason I am entertained by his sleezy ways, and do like to inform others when I can.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I've gone native

He's seems very much the high pressure used car salesman. Not sure there is anything wrong with buying low and selling high, he should just be upfront about it. He's not an enthusiast, not a collector, he's simply a broker in the used car and parts market.
If he was up front he wouldn't find himself banned on just about every forum and fleabay.
c
Old 06-09-2012, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

If he holds a state resale license they could go after him for these types of sales practices. His tax reporting could also be a factor. Maybe in Arizona or Florida they do not monitor his activities but in many states, if there are complaints to the DMV assuming he has a dealers license, he could be fined, at the very least.
Also in many states it is illegal to act as a dealer without being licensed as such, as when you resell a car you bought ( if not a licensed dealer ) you must title it in your name and pay the taxes when you buy it and re-title it before you resell it or if a dealer you must collect taxes on the transaction ( if the buyer is from the same state) and also pay taxes on the profits to the state and the IRS, as I understand the laws that govern car sales in the state I do business in.
If claiming to be a broker and then buying/paying for his offerings, he must pay taxes on the transaction, just like anyone else. So that could cause him to need more when he resells, however saying it is for his collection and then reselling is certainly not within the doctrine of fairness parameters.
People who make it a practice of doing business in a way that cause worthy complaints, eventually will find themselves in hot water once the authorities are aware of any wrong doing.
I also agree that although pricey some of his offerings were exceptional. It could be he was on a 930 learning curve if it were some of his earlier sales that evoked complaints, however by now he should know where to look when assessing the cars condition to accurately represent it for resale as to be sure it is as he represents it to be. And regarding records, by now should know what complete vs partial records mean when selling collector grade cars.
Also in the past I have aquired cars from both states he does business in/from and although I may have just been lucky or asked the right questions, I have been satisfied with the ones I got.
OK, just my 2 cents

Last edited by voitureltd; 06-09-2012 at 10:29 AM..
Old 06-09-2012, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
I've gone native

I think you're on the right track Tony. What these guys do is buy them from an enthusiast, claiming to be the same, get a brother-in-law deal, then resell the car, never registering it in the meantime, avoiding taxes....illegal unless you're a registered car dealer. Easy enough to check, run a carfax, if he never pops as a registered owner, there ya go. I suspect he's not a dealer either....
I recently bought a 993tt that had passed through another 'middleman' along the way.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I recently bought a 993tt that had passed through another 'middleman' along the way.[/QUOTE]

Yes, sometimes these guys pass along some pretty nice stuff, sort of like in spite of themselves, however you really need to do your homework as they ( especially in their early trading days) really generally do not know as much as some may think.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

It's his car for sure and he is still on fleabay under a third name change:

porscheprofessor May-29-12 Present

lowmilehasbeens Apr-30-08 May-29-12

lotusesprit4sale Nov-21-01 Apr-30-08
Old 06-12-2012, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
His current listings are under: us-export-us

I wonder how he keeps track of all the lies

I see a couple of the cars have Mississippi Dealer plates on them in the photos. Others FL. He reminds me of his guy I ran into once who had real estate listed as for sale by owner. He would show the property, which was vacant and he would be there painting or doing some work. I learned through the grapevine that he would typically put these bank owned properties under contract, find a way to force entry, put some lip stick on the property, list it for sale and show it, all before he actually closed on it. Bank isn't around checking on these properties so they don't know. Shadey
Old 06-12-2012, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Last year I viewed and drove the pearl white 930 he had sold. The car was exceptional inside and out. The problem with the purchase from Philip was he promised complete service records and original exhaust..both never happened. Only partial records. Again are his cars exceptional...yes. Is a ppi needed..absolutely! Should a unseen sight purchase be made..absolutely not!...some due diligence can lead to a happy purchase.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: