Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
CDI help....PLEASE..before i sell the damn car

so, thread number 1#

am i this dumb...welding on car...CDI not working

so,

1. installed new Voltage regulartor

2. installed new CDI box from ECUdoctors.com

3. turned the key, and NOTHING

WTF WTF WTF

i am loosing my mind and throwing things in my garage. I have to be able to move the car before i can continue with any body work, and now this $&%

I pulled the main harness and i have 11.85 volts at pin 14

I pulled the harness to the CDI box and HAVE NOTHING to pin 15

is this a bad alternator?
Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
i am not getting any power to pin #2 and i believe that is the pin that supply's the power to the CDI box, and that would explain why no power at pin #15 on CDI plug i guess,...

but the question is why....did i fry the alternator from welding?

any way to test before i go through the effort to replace this as we..
Old 06-06-2012, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Does the car have an ignition delay relay on it? If it does maybe thats the problem. The stock CDI 6 pin plug wiring gets it's power from it.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Jim I'm guessing you can jump that relay?
Don't give up, it's frustrating as hell I know. Keep doing what your doing and trace the power to where it quits. Once you find that jump power around it until the defect is isolated.
Don't forget the ignition switch. Thal little bastard will get you when you least suspect it. To eleminate that from the equasion I jump the starter and see if the engine fires.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Does the car have an ignition delay relay on it? If it does maybe thats the problem. The stock CDI 6 pin plug wiring gets it's power from it.
What is the ignition delay relay?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Its a relay that is used to dely power cutting to the CDI when you turn off the ign. Its a silver relay near the big wiper relay. It is supplied by swithced ign power, always hot power and ground. The CDI power is also connected to it. It has capacitor in it that holds power to the relay coil when ign is cut, keepin the CDI powered for number of seconds so the engine runs on. You could have fried it. Just jump the 12v in to the CDI power out wire to see.
1988 930: 3.5L 100mm LN slipins, LN FFA rods, Supertec studs, GT3582R with T4 1.07A/R twin scroll housing, RarlyL8 equal length divided headers, dual Tial MVS 38mm WG's, Carrera 3.2 heads with 993 big valves. 964 Cams, full bay IC, KEP st1 clutch. PE3 sequential ECU with 750cc EV14 injectors, CoP twin plugs, J&S Safegaurd, Aquamist HSF3 water inj. Wavetrac LSD.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b930 View Post
Its a relay that is used to dely power cutting to the CDI when you turn off the ign. Its a silver relay near the big wiper relay. It is supplied by swithced ign power, always hot power and ground. The CDI power is also connected to it. It has capacitor in it that holds power to the relay coil when ign is cut, keepin the CDI powered for number of seconds so the engine runs on. You could have fried it. Just jump the 12v in to the CDI power out wire to see.
ok, got it, but what two pins do i jump together on this plug?
Old 06-07-2012, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Some pictures of the CDI connector that might be helpful

This is how I connected the MSD6AL to the engine harness plug (in case your CDI is busted and you need a MSD). Also there a wires from MSD for power. Big red wire goes to Batt, big black to ground (not in this picture)

1986 944 Turbo

Last edited by totle; 06-08-2012 at 12:15 AM..
Old 06-07-2012, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtweet View Post
ok, got it, but what two pins do i jump together on this plug?
The ignition delay relay is the small square aluminum relay on the rear relay panel next to the larger rectangular aluminum rear window defroster relay.

One screw on the top side of it loosens it so you can lift it away from the panel and there is a plug on the bottom with 4 female spade terminals in it. Pull the plug off the relay and leave it off. Don't put it back on the relay.
Then jump two of the female spade terminals together in the plug with male spade terminals and tape over them good or solder the 2 wires together if you prefer and stuff it back under the relay panel. Thats all you have to do to bypass that silly relay. I screwed it back on the relay panel to cover the square hole under it and left it there.

I did this a year or so ago and forgot what color wires you jump. A search on the technical forum and this forum will find it. I posted the question on the tech forum and John Walker answered my question.
Alot of people bypass that relay to stop the annoying run on from a leaky CIS injector or whatever.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
The ignition delay relay is the small square aluminum relay on the rear relay panel next to the larger rectangular aluminum rear window defroster relay.

One screw on the top side of it loosens it so you can lift it away from the panel and there is a plug on the bottom with 4 female spade terminals in it. Pull the plug off the relay and leave it off. Don't put it back on the relay.
Then jump two of the female spade terminals together in the plug with male spade terminals and tape over them good or solder the 2 wires together if you prefer and stuff it back under the relay panel. Thats all you have to do to bypass that silly relay. I screwed it back on the relay panel to cover the square hole under it and left it there.

I did this a year or so ago and forgot what color wires you jump. A search on the technical forum and this forum will find it. I posted the question on the tech forum and John Walker answered my question.
Alot of people bypass that relay to stop the annoying run on from a leaky CIS injector or whatever.
ok, i got it, i just need to know what two pins to jump

Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

OK, you got the right relay. I just did a search on the tech forum and found my old post that John Walker was so kind to answer.
how do you bypass the ignition delay relay?

There are 4 wires in the delay relay plug and you jumper the two wires that are closest to the fan housing or farthest away from the left side of the car.
They are both red with a white stripe and I remember now one was thicker than the other.
Jumper them together and do not put the plug back on the relay, just leave it. Easy.

If you ever install MSD ignition don't use the red wire in the 6 pin plug to power it. Use it for the small red trigger wire that turns the MSD on and run the thick red wire from the MSD that powers the voltage amplifier and storage caps and thyristor to the positive terminal on the starter motor because it will get more amperage from there and you'll have a stronger spark.

edit: I see the plug is not on the bottom of the relay in your pic. It only goes on one way though and you can just see the small plastic locating dowel pin that makes it so the plug will only go on one way sticking down from the bottom middle of the relay in your pic.

Last edited by JFairman; 06-07-2012 at 09:55 AM..
Old 06-07-2012, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
OK, you got the right relay. I just did a search on the tech forum and found my old post that John Walker was so kind to answer.
how do you bypass the ignition delay relay?

There are 4 wires in the delay relay plug and you jumper the two wires that are closest to the fan housing or farthest away from the left side of the car.
They are both red with a white stripe and I remember now one was thicker than the other.
Jumper them together and do not put the plug back on the relay, just leave it. Easy.

If you ever install MSD ignition don't use the red wire in the 6 pin plug to power it. Use it for the small red trigger wire that turns the MSD on and run the thick red wire from the MSD that powers the voltage amplifier and storage caps and thyristor to the positive terminal on the starter motor because it will get more amperage from there and you'll have a stronger spark.

edit: I see the plug is not on the bottom of the relay in your pic. It only goes on one way though and you can just see the small plastic locating dowel pin that makes it so the plug will only go on one way sticking down from the bottom middle of the relay in your pic.
DING DING DING, GD MFer WTFer SOB, all that money spent and it was fized with 2 inches of spare wire...

dude, i will say the new CDI whine sounds a little louder then my old one, car started a bit quicker also (maybe all the fuel that was in there from the cranking?), and tack was not jumping around (voltage regulator?)...so i guess it was worth the money, but holy snaps...again i owe the pelicanites a beer.

Last edited by jimtweet; 06-08-2012 at 03:13 AM..
Old 06-07-2012, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

That's why this forum is so great and people too

964 C4 1992, 930 "RS3.0 looker", Carrera 3.0 1976
911 2.4E 1972 (to be 2.4S+ spec race car), 911 2.2T 1967
Old 06-07-2012, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Great to hear it is back alive.
It can be frustrating some time, but when solved it feels great :-)
1986 944 Turbo
Old 06-08-2012, 12:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: