Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registerd 930 user nut

Garage
What happened to the alternator dust shield?

Needed to replace my regulator due to over-voting issues and noticed that the dust shield looked like it had been run over and shot at. It wasnít attached to the back of the alternator when I took it apart. Iím thinking that if it wasnít placed correctly that it could effect the cooling as it has ducting on the shield that must have a function. The fact that its cone shaped aids in how the air leaving the fan. Not having the shield I think will make the fan not as effective in moving air as well as the Porsche engineers design intent. Any one know where I can get a replacement part? Iím guessing that it would not be good to run on the street with out one? Anyone running with out the shield having any issues? Thoughts?

Old 06-08-2012, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, the shroud does perform ducting duties and I would replace it. Parts Heaven is a good source of used parts.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

I can't even see the air foils that are supposed to be attached to it (look kind of like fan blades and direct the air) - are they missing?
Old 06-08-2012, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registerd 930 user nut

Garage
The air foils are on there you can barely see the one on the bottom and theres another hidden behind out of view. I don't know what I'm going to do as it's all ready to put back together except this problem. Can't find the correct one either. Have one on ebay but there for an earlier year 911 / 930 and they don't look right. don't want to fool around with the cooling by using one that the wrong year.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

OK, I see the bottom one now . . . do you have experience using fiberglass? If so, you could use fiberglass cloth & resin to "rebuild" it . . . only problem might be getting it to stick to the plastic . . .

This is what I would do if it were mine. I have had success getting fiberglass to work on plastic in the past. You would definitely need to thoroughly clean and "rough" the surface, however.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 06-08-2012 at 06:18 PM..
Old 06-08-2012, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registerd 930 user nut

Garage
I could glass it over to fix but upon looking at it I think theres a air fin missing. I have two holes that look like there was a fin there long ago.

Anyone have a picture of how or what it should look like to fit an 87 930?
Old 06-09-2012, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Banned

The pic/drawing from PET doesn't help much, but I typed the part number into Pelican and see that you can buy these new (the PET calls them "hub extension") . . . so knowing this, if mine was in the shape that yours is, I would buy a new one.

Pelican Parts - Product Information: OEM-91110605501

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 06-09-2012 at 07:52 AM..
Old 06-09-2012, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registerd 930 user nut

Garage
Thats what I think as well. The more I research this the more I find out just how important this air deflector is. Ordered a new one from our sponsor. Now I just have to wait.

BTW Ronnie's.930, Thanks again for the scan of the fuse panel!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

No problem - have you had time to "make" a panel card out of the two-part scans?
Old 06-09-2012, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registerd 930 user nut

Garage
That's one of this weekends projects.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: