Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
you guys are lucky with your modded out turbos. I don't think my stock 930 could give much trouble to a modern faster car. I think even my little 4cyl toyota powered car is a bit faster. One of these days I will summon up the courage to pull the trigger on some mods!
Upgraded turbo, intercooler and a nice exhaust will make a huge difference without having to go internal. Let the smack downs begin. Dont fool yourself the 930's are still plenty fast.

77 911tt EFI wide body red/ Slightly modified SOLD
Old 05-29-2013, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redturbo911 View Post
Upgraded turbo, intercooler and a nice exhaust will make a huge difference without having to go internal. Let the smack downs begin. Dont fool yourself the 930's are still plenty fast.
Yeah a stock 930 aint exactly a slow car, but modern cars are getting pretty fast. New mustangs and other affordable cars can run 1/4 miles well into the 12s. I think maybe my stock 930 could pull off a low to mid 13 second run in the best case. I was being a little fatecious with my 4 cyl toyota comment as it is supercharged and attached to a 2000 lb car.

I think 930s are considered to be really fast cars even by modern standards because most of them are so highly modded.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
Agreed except the little money part. I've done it more frugally than many guys and its still not easily affordable by my standards. When you look at mods to other turbo cars, like a Toyota for example, it's another couple levels higher in cost. But in my opinion it's all worth it. Just last night I stomped my authority on a brand new Audi s6 with turbo v8.
He wanted to race so badly I could tell. That's a fast Audi, fastest I've ever seen in fact. Still I crept past it at 120mph. I researched it and found that it indeed is very fast. Off the line c&d clocked 0-60 at 3.7! Launch control is so cool.
Agreed and a bit of me worries about the "slippery slope". I think 930s are pretty mod friendly in terms of making power but it is relatively expensive depending on your reference.

A nice set of headers, a turbo, and an intercooler for example is about 6k. I sure other little things would add 1 k or so to the basic mods. So maybe 7k all in for another 75 whp over stock. Its not mega dollars but still substantial to my budget.

You can make another 75 whp on some other modern turbocharged cars if accidently fart on them
Old 05-29-2013, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

the Toyota even with a supercharger and an 18 lb. pulley would have a hell of a time with your 930 assuming yours is running properly, and from that comment I would have to assume that it is not.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuen Werke View Post
the Toyota even with a supercharger and an 18 lb. pulley would have a hell of a time with your 930 assuming yours is running properly, and from that comment I would have to assume that it is not.
my 930 runs great, I even had it dynoed at a respectable 270 whp a few years ago. I stoc 930 is still a 13 second car 1/4 mile car.

3000 lb car / 270 whp

the toyota is in my lotus which is about 2050 lbs / 210 whp with modern throttle response, it is just a faster car until drag kicks in.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

oh ok it's in the exige. Yeah there was one here at the shop awhile back and we had a lot of fun with it! I think it is more perception of power than anything from car to car. There is a 01 Camaro SS here that belongs to A Porsche customer and it is the same thing.. perception, until my wife's stock 930 tore it a new ass 0-100. Oh man did I just mention that car here on this site? Where is my shame lol
Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
Quote:
my 930 runs great, I even had it dynoed at a respectable 270 whp a few years ago. I stoc 930 is still a 13 second car 1/4 mile car.

3000 lb car / 270 whp

the toyota is in my lotus which is about 2050 lbs / 210 whp with modern throttle response, it is just a faster car until drag kicks in.
That lotus ought to be faster that the stock 930 right? I mean crap, 2000lb!
But my narrow body 930 would rip the lotus up......till it got to a road course.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
That lotus ought to be faster that the stock 930 right? I mean crap, 2000lb!
But my narrow body 930 would rip the lotus up......till it got to a road course.
Yeah definately, like I Said a bit touge in cheek with my toyota comment. Im certainly not trying to bash 930s as they are my all time favorite cars .

I know some of them are silly fast, and I am a bit jealous. Mine is just "kinda" fast because it is stock. I need to fix that ASAP!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Yeah definitely, like I Said a bit touge in cheek with my toyota comment. I'm certainly not trying to bash 930s as they are my all time favorite cars .

I know some of them are silly fast, and I am a bit jealous. Mine is just "kinda" fast because it is stock. I need to fix that ASAP!
I have a Garrett turbo, obx headers( you can use your euro exhaust if you have it, got my intercooler used, and with all this and necessary mods for Garrett and muffler I'm under $4k. BTWE best of everything except headers though they're not bad. I did it all myself including the muffler buildup which is not that hard if you can weld. You could get a k27 used way cheeper than the garrett, and be under $3k.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: